U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM

169 posts, read 412,521 times
Default Interesting article...Colorado and stereotypes

I saw this article in the Gazette and thought I would post it here. There's often posts about what sort of people live in Colorado. Maybe there are those stereotypes out there about this area. It doesn't matter if you are a native or a transplant, people are all different and living in Colorado doesn't change that.

Anyway interesting read.

Life: You're so not Colorado | don, colorado, hike : Gazette.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:08 AM

16,448 posts, read 10,020,060 times
Interesting article, but mildly unsettling. As a believing Christian, I wonder if I will be regarded as the "wrong type" by long time residents? We genuinely intend to be assets to the community, but is there animosity toward believers in Colorado Springs?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,412,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Interesting article, but mildly unsettling. As a believing Christian, I wonder if I will be regarded as the "wrong type" by long time residents? We genuinely intend to be assets to the community, but is there animosity toward believers in Colorado Springs?
In Colorado Springs? No way -- I think I read that 40% of the town is churchgoing Christians. There may be a few people angry about the political influence enjoyed by Dobson and Focus on the Family, but there are at least as many who love Dobson and Focus. And still more believers who aren't into Focus at all because it's not their cup of tea.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM

3,689 posts, read 6,693,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I see christianity EVERYWHERE in Colorado Springs, it is very refreshing to hear and see people openly talking about God in open busy public. Wish I did not have people look at me cross eyed in other areas that my mother and I have these type of discussions.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM

16,448 posts, read 10,020,060 times
Thanks for the encouragement! That's good news (no pun intended).

Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 AM

1,313 posts, read 4,796,335 times
C Springs native here and it's funny that the "stereo type" image of Coloradans exist here in this city.

Seriously, I am one of the few and I actually do enjoy outdoors, have a black lab (my chance but had a chow/lab/shepard mix before), and actually know how to ski!

While I haven't been skiing since 1987, I am sure I could pick it back up where I left off.

But what gets me is that this is a huge transitory (sp? correct word?) town. The majority of those that do live here come from elsewhere and the Colorado Native (if you will) is actually a rare "breed" here. The Gazelle forgets that basic fact, often. One reason I don't subscribe to their paper (among others).

I was adopted but through my wanting to find my birth parents I found out she is the product of an Air Force transplant who stayed after he retired. My dad (the one that is my dad and raised me) is also a transplant. He was born east of here and his family moved here in 1952(?).

To stereo-type anyone living in C Springs as a Coloradan is like stereo-typing a rock.

As for the article and the New York transplant that is sad because we don't have a Chinatown (or whatever the article said)...it's a small big city with a huge amount of people that move out after their tour at Ft. Carson or Pete Field is done. Same goes with most ethnic things...although if you haven't experienced the BriarMarket on Briargate Blvd...I think that's it...you only think of C Springs as a mass of chain restaurantsand such. You have to seek it but there are a lot of places that aren't as homogenized as you think. You just have to ask.

Denver on the other hand, has a lot more than C Springs. This is simply because Denver has a more stable population.

I love it here regardless. I still want to move from here to smaller parts but C Springs is where my roots are and I probably would look more the part of a "Coloradan" than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs