U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:08 PM

794 posts, read 1,492,322 times

Advertisements

Here is an older thread about Tranquil Acres: Tranquil Acres near Woodland Park . It is one of only two subdivisions in the county that I personally would not buy in, the other being Sherwood Forrest. Please note the use of the personal pronoun - I may be prejudiced. However, given the history of the water district you definitely need to know the source of your water and - if in Tranquil Acres - the current status of the community system.

The Teller County Assessor's office lists more than 350 subdivisions; it is hard to know which ones someone else would like. Some have very strict HOA's, others very laid back HOA's, yet others with none at all. Most parcels are on two acres, but some are an acre and or so. The point here is that population density is very low in the county.

You might want to look at properties within Woodland Park itself. Some of the neighborhoods are quite rural in nature, with large lots well away from the high traffic areas.

Aside from the many excellent trails, many subdivisions have a network of roads that are very nice for walks. Even the larger ones do not carry much traffic at any time. Colorado Mountain Estates is the only exception that comes to mind, and that would be only for the main entrance road during "rush hour".

No subdivision is all that old - only a few predate the 70's. Virtually all the older houses (say, pre-1960) in the county will be in Cripple Creek or Victor, with a smaller stock in Woodland Park.

Bird feeders should be taken in every evening due to problems with bears. You really, really do not want bears coming by regularly to check for food.

Sunset's vary literally from parcel to parcel even within a subdivision.

We have become very fire conscious. With trees comes the responsibility to do proper fire mitigation.

Try and get out to any property which interests you during a weekend as "quiet" can vary considerably by day of week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 10:17 PM

183 posts, read 168,820 times
One thing to know about Tranquil Acres is the county only plows the main road to the subdivision. And Tranquil Acres is higher, colder and snowier than Woodland Park proper. If you have to get out of your subdivision to (for example) get to your job or the doctor keep in mind that you need to be self sufficient out there. A neighbor may plow the street for you or they may not.

Teller County has a lot of subdivisions that were originally built as summer homes. As more people move into the area, these are being converted to year round dwellings. But that doesn't mean the county has been increasingly the level of service, or you'll get the level of services you may be used to elsewhere. And as other have pointed out some of these rural water systems are also seeing a lot of stress especially as demand for year round access increases and the drought intensified. Many homes in the county also have cisterns as backups because wells run dry. And when that happens you pay $50 to get 1000 gallons delivered by truck.

You of course won't have these kinds of problems in town as Woodland Park proper has municipal utilities. But outlying areas are a different matter.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM

1,612 posts, read 3,257,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritTwo View Post

In case it matters: we both telecommute, and only need to venture into C Springs maybe once a week. (If I can get the kids to move to COS, I'll never have to see Denver again. Yeah, that'll happen.)
Yes, kids can move all over. We were thinking of moving closer to a daughter in Wisconsin but it is fairly chilly. Colorado Springs does seem to be a better range of sun and temperatures. So, share your questions.
Just need to find the sunny side of the mountain!

Old 09-01-2018, 12:45 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,739,165 times
I lived in the Highland Lakes subdivision, northwest of Divide, for 40 years, and I still own land next to the house we lived in. I also have family in Denver, so I'm there a few times a year. My husband had a law practice in Woodland Park, so he commuted daily, and our kids went through the WP public schools from K-12. Highway 24 is always plowed during/after snowstorms, as are all school bus routes. Plows will be out by 4:00 a.m. I'd say 85% of the winter there is no snow on the ground. When it does snow, it usually melts as soon as the sun comes out. Only if the snow lasts for more than a day (extremely rare), or if it's cloudy after a snowstorm (also very rare) will the snow stay on the ground. Snow will stay and accumulate on the north side of buildings, slopes, etc. We had a northeast facing front and the snow up against the house would stay from first snow until mid-April. Temperatures in winter (November - March) are average 30 - 40 daytime temps (if it's sunny) and anywhere from -10 - 20 at night. The first snow (rarely heavy) can be as early as late September and the last snow can be as late as Memorial Day. But, as I said, most of the winter, the ground will be bare and brown. Trees loose their leaves in late September, and don't leaf out again until about Memorial Day.

If you have gas or electric heat, you'll use your wood/pellet stove either for ambiance or for auxiliary heat. Woodland Park is about 8500 ft in elevation, and Divide is 9200 ft., both much higher than Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, etc., Colorado Springs is about 6200 ft and Denver 5280 ft. So, it's almost twice the altitude of Denver in Divide. Your Subaru will be fine in winter. Unless you're in a very rural area, way off a school bus route, chances are your road will be plowed, especially if you're in WP.

I agree with Arrby that Tranquil Acres and Sherwood Forest are dumps. They do have iffy water systems. Tranquil Acres goes along Tranquil Acres Rd., from Hwy 24 north to about Marigold Ln. It has all flower/tree named streets east of Tranquil Acres Rd. Meadow Park just a little bit west off Hwy 24 is a really nice subdivision. It's next to Summit Elementary, so the roads will usually be plowed first. If you're looking for homes on one of the real estate web sites, Woodland Park's ZIP code is 80863 and Divide is 80814.

In summer, you can count on almost daily afternoon thundershowers. Storms build west and tend to dump on Teller county, so if you're in the Springs, you'll see clouds over Pikes Peak and the mountains, but they won't always move into the Springs. Lightning and thunder can be intense during thunderstorms. May is the month for hail, and in July and August, there are the monsoon rains which can be heavy with hail and flooding. After the rains, the temperatures can drop by almost 20 degrees. Sometimes Divide can be sunny and clear, but at the bottom of Blue Bird Hill, in Woodland Park, it can be cloudy/rainy/snowy.There's not really a Spring or Fall. They last maybe 2-3 weeks. People joke that Teller County has two seasons ~~ Winter and July.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 5,642 times
Well, we went down for a visit right after this and saw the Daisy St house and Tranquil Acres. Ugh. One look was all we needed.

We haven't figured out where Sherwood Forest subdivision is yet. Maybe there hasn't been a house for sale that we liked in that area. Where is it exactly?

Cheers!

Last edited by SpiritTwo; 09-13-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Yes, kids can move all over. We were thinking of moving closer to a daughter in Wisconsin but it is fairly chilly. Colorado Springs does seem to be a better range of sun and temperatures. So, share your questions.
Just need to find the sunny side of the mountain!

Dean Trails, where in WI? I was born and raised in far northern WI, by Lake Superior. I also lived in Janesville a couple years ago. Fairly chilly is an understatement. Anyway, my parents moved us to COS in 1972 (we arrived in the middle of a serious bumper sticker war with people intent on declaring themselves "native", "semi native", "transplant", et al)

My WI hometown was 10k, hubby's MN hometown was 2k. Woodland Park is about 8k, so that makes WP the Goldilock Choice. Just right. We've been tired of city life for 15+ years. But my kids thrive on it. Weirdly, they don't partake of museums, city nightlife, festivals, concerts, Taste of CO, etc. but once every two years .... however, they're sure they need that stuff nearby or they'll die of boredom. The reasoning eludes me. Even COS is "too bumpkinville" for them.

Hubby and I have taken many weekend trips to Estes Park, Ft. Collins, Divide, Monument, Castle Rock, Larkspur, Palmer Lake, Cripple Creek and Woodland Park, looking for a new place to call home. WP keeps drawing us back again and again. We love it. On that note, 2 more questions:

Q1: Why do so many WP houses have electric or boiler heat? I thought electric was expensive, and boilers difficult to find parts and knowledgeable workmen for?

Q2: I know 24 is a noisy zoo, but what about 67? We found a nice house 3 blocks east of 67, close to County Rd. They keep dropping the price, so I didn't know if that was due to 1) road noise, 2) "Area Beware" issues, or 3) something with the house we can't see from photos. The inside does need a remodel throughout (red tile floors, old, dark kitchen, Crayola paint colored rooms, popcorn ceilings), but the house is spacious and has lots of possibility. The exterior and the lot itself are lovely.

Cheers!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:31 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritTwo View Post
Q2: I know 24 is a noisy zoo, but what about 67? We found a nice house 3 blocks east of 67, close to County Rd. They keep dropping the price, so I didn't know if that was due to 1) road noise, 2) "Area Beware" issues, or 3) something with the house we can't see from photos. The inside does need a remodel throughout (red tile floors, old, dark kitchen, Crayola paint colored rooms, popcorn ceilings), but the house is spacious and has lots of possibility. The exterior and the lot itself are lovely.

Cheers!
I suppose it is all relative, but I don't think of 67 as being a huge problem in terms of noise or traffic. It does get traffic for people going to/from Cripple Creek to gamble or people going from there down to the Springs to work, and people going hiking or to see the fall colors, etc. Lots of people wanting a house up there do not want it right on the road because they're thinking of a mountain getaway with more privacy, etc. Not sure about your house you're looking at, but I would check into things like quality of the road/access/driveway - how easy is it to get in and out - and whether or not you're on city water, etc. - find out about the utilities. And your house may be on the other side of 67 that is going north - that gets even less traffic on it- mainly people with recreational purposes unless they live right there, imho.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
popcorn ceiling = asbestos mitigation work.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I suppose it is all relative, but I don't think of 67 as being a huge problem in terms of noise or traffic. It does get traffic for people going to/from Cripple Creek to gamble or people going from there down to the Springs to work, and people going hiking or to see the fall colors, etc. Lots of people wanting a house up there do not want it right on the road because they're thinking of a mountain getaway with more privacy, etc. Not sure about your house you're looking at, but I would check into things like quality of the road/access/driveway - how easy is it to get in and out - and whether or not you're on city water, etc. - find out about the utilities. And your house may be on the other side of 67 that is going north - that gets even less traffic on it- mainly people with recreational purposes unless they live right there, imho.

The road is paved, so is the driveway. Access doesn't seem to be a problem. Water is municipal (city) but the only thing it says about the main sewer line, is that it was recently replaced. I'd guess that means it's city too? Newer 'dual' furnace - electric and natural gas. I never heard of this type of furnace before. Is it preferable to a regular gas furnace?

It's in Park Forest Estates. It's probably easier if you look at it. 714 Elm St.

Weird thing. When I look up the address on the Teller County Property Records site, the house has no owner's name.

Last edited by SpiritTwo; 09-13-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
popcorn ceiling = asbestos mitigation work.

Maybe. Popcorn itself doesn't matter, nor does the year the house was built. Brand new builds often have asbestos. The USA banned all but two types; both are in drywall mud that's still sold in home improvement stores. Depending on when the floor tile was installed, the adhesive used to glue it down might have it. The only way to be sure is to test both. Pricey..

We bought a 1965 house in COS back in 2013. Had the carpet removed, and the original wood floors redone. Beautiful! It was hot while they were redoing 'em, so all the ceiling fans were on. The LR fan quit suddenly, but that was okay, we were going to replace it anyway. 2 days later, I left our hotel to paint some rooms before we moved anything in ... opened the big garage door and smoke poured out. The attic had been on fire for 48 hours. That stupid LR ceiling fan had been improperly installed by the previous owner, it shorted out and started the attic insulation smoldering. The firemen put out the fire, took the ceiling down (it wasn't popcorned; regular drywall mud), and the terrible smoke mitigation company (these companies are neither licensed or regulated) set up floor fans and blew the asbestos from the ceiling drywall to all corners of the house. All the appliances, ductwork and anything with a fan or motor had to be thrown out. So, one fire, two major asbestos spills, five months and $100,000 later, we could finally move in.

I know more about asbestos than I ever wanted to know.

Last edited by SpiritTwo; 09-13-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or