U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 02:35 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimessoup View Post
Thank you! This is really helpful as well, great info. So you feel the whole zip codes aren't out for 80910/16, just towards the intersection of where they meet near Academy? Do you think the rest of those zip codes are OK? And Stratton Meadows, that is in 80905 if I am seeing that correctly, good to know about that area!

I like the info about the western parts and the parks. We do enjoy the small town feel. Thanks again!

NO, I wouldn't wholesale discount all of 80910/80916. I've lived in both of them and worked in the area at one time or another and I'm none the worse for wear. There are some very nice places in there, like Valley High, Mountain View, and around Sand Creek Elementary. But, those zip codes are also much more variable and a few blocks away from some very nice places are some very challenged places. The area as a whole is lower on the educational scale, lower on the income scale, and higher in various crime stats. It is also highly unlikely that you would be randomly shot at or assaulted. I've never been in fear of my life in those places. Colo Spgs does not have the kind of hard core, generational destitute population that creates traditional slums. However, a higher than average percentage of Colo Spgs crimes stats originate in that area. Its also important to note that, as Dr Dog points out, a high number of these crimes between people who know each other, so it is typically not random and pretty easy to avoid. I'd also add that with the military bases in the region and some aggressive reporting structures within CSPD, we tend to have higher than average reporting for domestic violence and sexual assaults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:30 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How can a job force you to live in a certain zipcode area?

Do they also tell you what kind of car to buy?

Weird.
I wondered the same thing, too. Especially since it's a work from home job! What difference does it make to them what neighborhood you live in? Seems bizarre.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:11 PM

14 posts, read 3,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I would not rule out any zip code in its entirely, personally. The level of crime is not overly extreme anywhere, imho, and crime still happens even in the best of areas of course. But some areas are indeed more rundown or have a more transient population, etc. That can even vary block by block.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
IMO there is no place in Colorado Springs where I'd feel unsafe. Remember that most crimes involving shootings or sexual assault are domestic violence or otherwise involve people who already know each other, not random people getting attacked on the streets.

OTOH, some neighborhoods are definitely nicer places to live than others. Google street view can be really useful -- are the commercial streets full of pawn shops and boarded-up storefronts? Are the houses on the residential streets decrepit-looking with yards full of weeds or junk cars?
What you and @otowi said is great to know. Those things seem like they would be visible from the just looking and we could see that while there, or possibly on Google street maps beforehand. Thank you for all your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
NO, I wouldn't wholesale discount all of 80910/80916. I've lived in both of them and worked in the area at one time or another and I'm none the worse for wear. There are some very nice places in there, like Valley High, Mountain View, and around Sand Creek Elementary. But, those zip codes are also much more variable and a few blocks away from some very nice places are some very challenged places. The area as a whole is lower on the educational scale, lower on the income scale, and higher in various crime stats. It is also highly unlikely that you would be randomly shot at or assaulted. I've never been in fear of my life in those places. Colo Spgs does not have the kind of hard core, generational destitute population that creates traditional slums. However, a higher than average percentage of Colo Spgs crimes stats originate in that area. Its also important to note that, as Dr Dog points out, a high number of these crimes between people who know each other, so it is typically not random and pretty easy to avoid. I'd also add that with the military bases in the region and some aggressive reporting structures within CSPD, we tend to have higher than average reporting for domestic violence and sexual assaults.
Glad to hear that you wouldn't discount the whole areas and that it is more of the person than the area. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, all of this info is really helpful to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I wondered the same thing, too. Especially since it's a work from home job! What difference does it make to them what neighborhood you live in? Seems bizarre.
I have no idea but I would really prefer it was different! They just made this policy within the last year after restructuring their employee locations and it is incredibly frustrating.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:15 PM

424 posts, read 176,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How can a job force you to live in a certain zipcode area?

Do they also tell you what kind of car to buy?

Weird.
More common than you think. I know hospital administrators, firefighters, cops...who had to live within certain zip codes.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:26 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
Quote:
Thank you!

What you and @otowi said is great to know. Those things seem like they would be visible from the just looking and we could see that while there, or possibly on Google street maps beforehand. Thank you for all your insight.

Glad to hear that you wouldn't discount the whole areas and that it is more of the person than the area. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, all of this info is really helpful to us.

I have no idea but I would really prefer it was different! They just made this policy within the last year after restructuring their employee locations and it is incredibly frustrating.
Just curious ... have you or any other employees asked the why they put this policy in place? As an employee, I would certainly want it explained to me. I don't know what you do - I can understand why geography might matter for some jobs. I'd want to know why it mattered for my job.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Just curious ... have you or any other employees asked the why they put this policy in place? As an employee, I would certainly want it explained to me. I don't know what you do - I can understand why geography might matter for some jobs. I'd want to know why it mattered for my job.
Yes. He was told they want the employee living in the zip codes that they are responsible for. They have people spread all over the US and every zip code accounted for. In their mind, that is the efficient way to do it, being close to the work. They already have other people in CS for the other zip codes. We don't agree with it and think it is silly. There is a town we live right next to, like 1 mile away,but it is in another zip code range and they wouldn't let him work it if he had that job. Not efficient, IMO. But they do a lot of stuff that they think is efficient that is far from it. I guess the only part of it that somewhat makes sense is they want them close because they use company cars, but they could very easily remedy that by having rules with the mileage they are allowed to count, I would think. They are a huge corporation, we aren't going to change their minds.
His current job (in the office) wasn't effected by this, just the one he was offered in CS that we are trying to decide on taking or not.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:38 PM

305 posts, read 167,825 times
I live in 80910 and as TCHP said, it's not ALL bad. There are definitely some rough looking spots, but for the most part it's not bad, at least that's my opinion after living in NOLA post Katrina. The apartment complex I live in adjacent to the local park, its clean and mostly chill, we like it here so far. I did hear what I thought was gun shots one night, turns out it was fire works.

I also saw someone post to avoid D2 - Harrison schools, well my little one is in a D2 school and is doing very well, much better in fact than any other school he attended. We are very happy so far with the school and teachers.

We've only been here a month, but we researched for over 4 years and visited more than once before we moved here, in this location. You just have to find the balance of feels right and what you can afford.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
I live in 80910 and as TCHP said, it's not ALL bad. There are definitely some rough looking spots, but for the most part it's not bad, at least that's my opinion after living in NOLA post Katrina. The apartment complex I live in adjacent to the local park, its clean and mostly chill, we like it here so far. I did hear what I thought was gun shots one night, turns out it was fire works.

I also saw someone post to avoid D2 - Harrison schools, well my little one is in a D2 school and is doing very well, much better in fact than any other school he attended. We are very happy so far with the school and teachers.

We've only been here a month, but we researched for over 4 years and visited more than once before we moved here, in this location. You just have to find the balance of feels right and what you can afford.
Thank you! Good to know!
Is the avoid D2 thing people mention because of the schools or the area? We homeschool, so the schools and such don't matter, I just read it above as avoiding the area D2 covered. Anyway, great to know you are happy there with the 80910/D2 thing. Also awesome about the park. We love visiting local parks often so the more we can visit, the better!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 PM

608 posts, read 319,980 times
We lived in 80910 in the Spring Creek Neighborhood, which is a newer infill development. It feeds into one of HD2s better schools and the HOA paid for a security company. Or there's Vanguard nearby.

Challenger is building sub $300k homes right next to it, though they are very modern and have no yard.

It was a very friendly, safe area, close to Southgate shopping and other attractions. Not much spill over from the older/higher crime areas East/North, although I did see posts on ND about their frustrations.

The neighborhood has two parks with a 3rd planned by the city. Our 1 year old home just sold for around $290k, there's cheaper and more expensive ones. We only moved because our next-door neighbor was a problem, but the rest of the neighborhood was nice.

I think 80906 feeds into Oak Creek elementary - another one of D2's better ones or an area just under Southgate, by Quail Lake Park? If so I'd live there too.

80925 I believe houses Lorson Ranch, looks like you can get a lot for the money there.

I'd go for Falcon too.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:22 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Quote:
For the 80910/80916 areas, is this unsafe as in I'm going to get gunned down/sexually assaulted walking in the neighborhood or like, my car will get broken into, or there are a lot of drugs, etc. or is it just really run down and not desirable?
It's just run down and not desirable, however there are a lot of new housing developments. It's not a horrible area persay, and If it were just me, I could live there no problem. It's the school district. I wouldn't put my children anywhere near district 2 schools, especially Sierra High School. They're some of the worst and roughest in the state of colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or