U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:52 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Anyone working full time should be able to afford housing.
Maybe, but certainly not a nice 2 bedroom. Maybe share a 2 bedroom? Rent a basement? Minimum wage jobs should be temporary while you educate yourself to move up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Maybe, but certainly not a nice 2 bedroom. Maybe share a 2 bedroom? Rent a basement? Minimum wage jobs should be temporary while you educate yourself to move up.
I don't think people in minimum wage jobs should be rich or paid as well as someone in a skilled trade or profession, etc., but there are many reasons why for some people a long-term minimum wage job is reality - senior citizens included, people with some ability challenges, etc. I think those people are valuable too and I don't think my grandma or whoever should have to have a roommate and does deserve decent living space by virtue of being a human being. No it doesn't have to be super nice, but I cringe at the way people seem to want others to live in hovels or with 50 roommates (if they can find someone who will let them) just because they work hard at McDonald's as a cook instead of working hard as a dental tech or whatever. It is a value judgment I happen to disagree with. In our society today, families are fragmented and extended family safety nets are less than in the past so I think it is even more important. I simply believe every job worth having is worth a living wage. For what I mean by living wage - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_wage I think, further, that if we do not allow for a living wage, we end up paying that money out in other ways anyway, such as the 6.2 billion dollars Walmart employees cost the American people in public assistance. Each Walmart costs the American people about a million dollars in public assistance annually.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:53 AM

4,327 posts, read 4,350,986 times
The way most people deal with this problem of too high rents is to either get married, get a room mate, get a second job, or get their families to subsidize the rent.

When we started out we lived on my wife's nursing income and saved my engineering salary for a down payment. But housing was a lot cheaper then. At that time we were debt free; Mastercard hadn't found us yet.

One huge problem with paying high rents is that it makes it virtually impossible to save up for a down payment for a house purchase. On top of that, many young people are saddled with college debt.

I think the only way they will ever get a house is to inherit one once their boomer parents finally expire.

But I'm not dead yet.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I agree I just said housing not a nice apartment. However you have minimum wage workers living on the streets and in cars that is not acceptable.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:51 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,631,290 times
I read an article recently about how wealthy folk are investing in trailer parks as that is where many Americans will end be living as income disparities continues to escalate. Makes sense to me...

Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I read an article recently about how wealthy folk are investing in trailer parks as that is where many Americans will end be living as income disparities continues to escalate. Makes sense to me...
Yea not to mention the growth of places like the Dollar Tree lotta folks can hardly rub two nickels together.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
I think the worst squeeze is in the rental area. There are still some decent bargains for starter places in the purchase market.

For example, my first property purchase was on the south-east side of town in a condo/townhome development called Hunting Meadows. Back then, new sales in the area were averaging $75-85k for a 3 story, 3 bd, 3ba townhome. Not ideal, not the greatest area, but clean, new (at the time) and it built equity for me. Doing a google on it just now, there is a very similar unit for sale for $155k (not great appreciation since I lived there 30 years ago, but still roughly equal to inflation). On a 30 year fixed with no down payment, that's under $800 a month, or roughly 50% of your monthly income for a minimum wage earner. By contrast, there are several similar units on the rental market, in the same complex, going for $1000-1400 a month. In this case, your looking at 80-95% of minimum wage income. Snag a room-mate or two and your under $500 a month. When I first got out of high school, this is exactly what I did while I was figuring out the what and why of my life. Again, not ideal, but necessary.

Would I want to return to a similar situation as a retired senior citizen, I don't know. The human interaction could be nice but you are again dealing with others that you may run into tolerance issues with, never mind medical and health issues to deal with that you don't have when you're young.

With competition in the labor market these days, just about the only places paying the minimum wage are entry level call center, fast food, and retail counter. A lot of other places are paying above minimum just to try and attract decent workers. Construction and manufacturing jobs are going to be closer to $15 to start with minimal skills.

Colo Spgs does have a distinct shortage of affordable housing on both the rental and purchase levels. There certainly is some out there, but it is not widespread, it certainly is not new, and it isn't in the most desirable areas at all.

When I drive by any number of curb campers I see these days, 90% of them have out of state plates on their derelict caravans. I imagine many of them are shocked by the lack of easily affordable real estate and rentals, which is what is forcing them to stay in campers, or for the more unfortunate who hitched rides or took a bus, tents by the creeks. However, I also believe if there is motivation, they can work their way around these circumstances. But, that is an entirely different topic...

Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,631,290 times
That begs the question...why exactly are so many moving here without a plan?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:36 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I agree I just said housing not a nice apartment. However you have minimum wage workers living on the streets and in cars that is not acceptable.
Since this is about Colorado Springs, Iíll forego the whole minimum wage argument. Kansas isnít that far away and rent is much cheaper there.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
That begs the question...why exactly are so many moving here without a plan?
Running from something, "drawn" to the area, want a drastic change, watched too many Bronco games on Monday Night Football, read too many Marlboro ads, watched too many Warren Miller movies, CO has a growing and thriving economy, perception that the rest of the state is as liberal as Boulder, came here once as a child, think weed is cheap and everywhere, think CO is like where they came from only with mountains, I'm sure the list is as long and varied as the people coming here without plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or