U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 04:32 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,951,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Ha! I'm never allowed to "rate your post positively" Mike ... but I always want to.

That's great what Amazon is doing, and will go a long way towards helping a lot of people out. It brings things a bit closer to a "living wage" ... but not by much if people, especially families, are not given reasonable options for housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Seriously I have the same problem!
That's weird because I was allowed to give Mike rep points in the past and when I tried just now, it worked just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
That's weird because I was allowed to give Mike rep points in the past and when I tried just now, it worked just fine.
Oh Rambler please give us an update if decide to travel back to the springs. I would love a write up.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:32 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
Default Kudoes should be unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I used the wrong verbiage when I stated "I'm never allowed". What I'm referring to is the message you get when you're using it too many times on the same poster; mostly MikeFBE because he always sums things up so well.

"you must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ... "

Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,951,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Oh Rambler please give us an update if decide to travel back to the springs. I would love a write up.
Oh, I've already decided to come check things out. It's the logistics of the visit that have me tearing my hair out. For one thing, I'm not going to stay at my old friend's place. That could send a message that he might easily misinterpret (if you know what I mean).

My only income is my social security check which in my case is not exactly generous. I'd like to stay for a week which means finding lodging that I can afford and that's not some dive in a more questionable part of town. Car rentals in the Springs are pretty reasonable, but still that's yet one more expense that I'll have to take into account. I'm going to have to start squirreling away my nickels and dimes. After all, winter is coming!

Once I finally manage to roll into town, I'd love to do a CD/Springs meetup of some sort. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:41 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
I'm doing ok in my place, I pay $1320 (plus a small pet deposit for my cat) rent for a townhome on the north side. It's got a MBR and two smaller bedrooms upstairs and two full baths up there, a half bath on the main level with the living areas, and a wonderful well-finished basement with a full bath downstairs. So effectively two huge bedrooms and two small ones, 3 1/2 baths, and a 1 car garage.

I love that we don't have to mow grass.

But we also have two stable incomes that are both well above minimum wage. My teenage son just got his first job and I'm sad about how hard he is working (on top of school of course) and how little it earns him. But it's a good life lesson, I suppose.

What I am seeing, are a lot of people sharing homes, doing roommate gigs. Whether that's a group of young college students sharing a house, or a woman with a family I know who rents 2 rooms in her house in Fountain (her kids share a bedroom instead of having each their own, because she needs the rental income.) People find ways to make things work.

I just know there are areas of this town, mostly on the west side and parts central, where I would not buy a house...I keep hearing stories from friends who own property in those regions, about cracking foundations. I will be making sure that any home I buy is built on more solid ground. Until then, I'm quite content to rent.

EDIT: I would love to do a CDSprings meetup!! I have only met one person from CD in person, and she was an absolute delight!

Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
I think you guys need to do some fact checking.

Someone that makes $15/hr only pays a tax rate of about 7.5%

Nobody making $15/hr should be sole provider for a family.

Everyone that is intelligent enough, should get an education and a higher paying job.

Housing costs here are expensive compared to some places, but cheap compared to other places. We live in a global economy now.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:57 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I think you guys need to do some fact checking.

Someone that makes $15/hr only pays a tax rate of about 7.5%

Nobody making $15/hr should be sole provider for a family.

Everyone that is intelligent enough, should get an education and a higher paying job.

Housing costs here are expensive compared to some places, but cheap compared to other places. We live in a global economy now.
I work in education and have kept track of kids after they graduate - most of the kids getting 4 year degrees are starting out in $15/hr jobs, which they see as an improvement over the minimum wage jobs they had before, but still not enough to live on especially while trying to pay their debts. $15/hr jobs are just what are out there for most people without experience. Of course, there are exceptions and some better paying fields but people are finding it hard to get the starting position in those fields because baby boomers etc. just keep holding on to those positions, etc. So, sometimes getting a higher paying job is easier said then done, even for those with education.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:23 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
https://www.krdo.com/news/cost-of-li...ings/804861387 Colorado Springs has biggest cost of living increase over last year in the nation.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
So, sometimes getting a higher paying job is easier said then done, even for those with education.
Well there are only a finite amount of high paying jobs so the system will always have inequality no matter how talented you are or how hard you work. Its not exactly the best system for fully realizing human potential.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 AM

331 posts, read 163,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
https://www.krdo.com/news/cost-of-li...ings/804861387 Colorado Springs has biggest cost of living increase over last year in the nation.
Just wait until after Nov. when our sales tax will be even more, it is already the highest in the State.

Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs