U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2018, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,721 posts, read 11,309,133 times
Reputation: 15515

Advertisements

I live so close to Penrose...had an ER visit...Well, I need to change to a supplemental ins.
company that covers them...so many go with Memorial.
Suggestions? And thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2018, 04:43 PM
 
1 posts, read 517 times
Reputation: 10
Default Miss Hepburn

I hope I am understanding you correctly:


You are wanting insurance coverage if you go to Penrose Hospital?


Kaiser Permanante is a Medicare Advantage offering contracted services through their network where Medicare Supplements are accepted anywhere that accepts Medicare.


To do this, you will need to disenroll from Kaiser but first select a Medicare Supplement that is both affordable and will qualify you based on their health questions, and don't forget part D drug coverage.


All can be found on Medicare.gov. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Status: "Please snow ... or rain, either would be good." (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Manitou Springs
975 posts, read 1,075,206 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I live so close to Penrose...had an ER visit...Well, I need to change to a supplemental ins.
company that covers them...so many go with Memorial.
Suggestions? And thanks.
I had a stay at Penrose last year. My supplemental insurance is United Healthcare. They have a lot of plans, one associated with AARP. But since things change every year, so you may want to check out their website for current information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Colorado
785 posts, read 409,014 times
Reputation: 879
Not a lot of support for Kaiser here in Colorado Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 11:56 AM
 
20,584 posts, read 38,394,733 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Not a lot of support for Kaiser here in Colorado Springs.
Had Kaiser for a short while when we arrived in COLO SPGS in 2005. They had no office of their own so they sub-contracted to Colo Spgs Health Partners (CSHP). About 2007 Kaiser gave CSHP an ultimatum that they had to cut their prices 10% across the board or Kaiser would find another sub-contractor. CSHP sent us a letter telling us what was going on, that they could not meet Kaiser's demand, would be ending their relationship with Kaiser and we'd need to find a new provider. We switched to BC/BS and kept CSHP as our docs. Goodbye Kaiser.

We had Kaiser back in Fairfax County, VA, and it was dreadful; long queues to see any doc, months to get a pap smear or apnea test, foreign doctors who hated women, and a few docs who were outright quacks. One year back there the service was so bad that Kaiser lost 50,000 patients during one open season.

Yes, I have a special dislike for Kaiser though some people swear by them.

Kaiser tried to do to CSHP what Wal-Mart does to its suppliers, keep demanding ever lower prices no matter how many corners a supplier has to cut to make ends meet. To their credit, CSHP told Kaiser to stick it. Too bad Jensen Farms out in Holly, CO, didn't tell Wal-Mart to stick it. In order to meet Wal-Mart's insatiable demand for cheap cheap cheap, Jensen bought rusty used equipment for handling cantaloupes. The rust harbored listeria which infected the melons and nationwide at least 33 people died from the contaminated fruit.

I don't buy produce from Wal-Mart and I don't use Kaiser. I'm on Medicare now, with BC/BS as backup and I go to whatever doc I want. I wish the whole nation had Medicare, and we will if we elect the right people.

CSHP is now known as Davita.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Colorado
785 posts, read 409,014 times
Reputation: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Had Kaiser for a short while when we arrived in COLO SPGS in 2005. They had no office of their own so they sub-contracted to Colo Spgs Health Partners (CSHP). About 2007 Kaiser gave CSHP an ultimatum that they had to cut their prices 10% across the board or Kaiser would find another sub-contractor. CSHP sent us a letter telling us what was going on, that they could not meet Kaiser's demand, would be ending their relationship with Kaiser and we'd need to find a new provider. We switched to BC/BS and kept CSHP as our docs. Goodbye Kaiser.

We had Kaiser back in Fairfax County, VA, and it was dreadful; long queues to see any doc, months to get a pap smear or apnea test, foreign doctors who hated women, and a few docs who were outright quacks. One year back there the service was so bad that Kaiser lost 50,000 patients during one open season.

Yes, I have a special dislike for Kaiser though some people swear by them.

Kaiser tried to do to CSHP what Wal-Mart does to its suppliers, keep demanding ever lower prices no matter how many corners a supplier has to cut to make ends meet. To their credit, CSHP told Kaiser to stick it. Too bad Jensen Farms out in Holly, CO, didn't tell Wal-Mart to stick it. In order to meet Wal-Mart's insatiable demand for cheap cheap cheap, Jensen bought rusty used equipment for handling cantaloupes. The rust harbored listeria which infected the melons and nationwide at least 33 people died from the contaminated fruit.

I don't buy produce from Wal-Mart and I don't use Kaiser. I'm on Medicare now, with BC/BS as backup and I go to whatever doc I want. I wish the whole nation had Medicare, and we will if we elect the right people.

CSHP is now known as Davita.
Kaiser works well in California where they have clinics and hospitals everywhere. It is a giant hmo that works if you have access.

I’d comment on your Medicare for everyone, but you’d delete my post for being off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,565 posts, read 4,610,162 times
Reputation: 16106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Had Kaiser for a short while when we arrived in COLO SPGS in 2005. They had no office of their own so they sub-contracted to Colo Spgs Health Partners (CSHP). About 2007 Kaiser gave CSHP an ultimatum that they had to cut their prices 10% across the board or Kaiser would find another sub-contractor. CSHP sent us a letter telling us what was going on, that they could not meet Kaiser's demand, would be ending their relationship with Kaiser and we'd need to find a new provider. We switched to BC/BS and kept CSHP as our docs. Goodbye Kaiser.

We had Kaiser back in Fairfax County, VA, and it was dreadful; long queues to see any doc, months to get a pap smear or apnea test, foreign doctors who hated women, and a few docs who were outright quacks. One year back there the service was so bad that Kaiser lost 50,000 patients during one open season.

Yes, I have a special dislike for Kaiser though some people swear by them.

Kaiser tried to do to CSHP what Wal-Mart does to its suppliers, keep demanding ever lower prices no matter how many corners a supplier has to cut to make ends meet. To their credit, CSHP told Kaiser to stick it. Too bad Jensen Farms out in Holly, CO, didn't tell Wal-Mart to stick it. In order to meet Wal-Mart's insatiable demand for cheap cheap cheap, Jensen bought rusty used equipment for handling cantaloupes. The rust harbored listeria which infected the melons and nationwide at least 33 people died from the contaminated fruit.

I don't buy produce from Wal-Mart and I don't use Kaiser. I'm on Medicare now, with BC/BS as backup and I go to whatever doc I want. I wish the whole nation had Medicare, and we will if we elect the right people.

CSHP is now known as Davita.
You really don't know much about a health insurance company until you need them. We currently are retired and enrolled in Kaiser Medicare Advantage. If all you need is a few prescriptions and flu shots, they seem great. But if you have serious symptoms and need quick and expensive diagnostic services, they push back. My wife is now experiencing that push back and we've decided to dump them and go to Medicare with a plan G supplemental from UNH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 10:08 AM
 
20,584 posts, read 38,394,733 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You really don't know much about a health insurance company until you need them. We currently are retired and enrolled in Kaiser Medicare Advantage. If all you need is a few prescriptions and flu shots, they seem great. But if you have serious symptoms and need quick and expensive diagnostic services, they push back. My wife is now experiencing that push back and we've decided to dump them and go to Medicare with a plan G supplemental from UNH.
Thanks for the info; it corroborates my experience. I had to fight to get a sleep study but finally got one after months of wrangling and waiting six weeks for their written test to 'prove' I had the symptoms of apnea and another six weeks for the actual study. Kaiser just hates to spend a cent on anyone.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,565 posts, read 4,610,162 times
Reputation: 16106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thanks for the info; it corroborates my experience. I had to fight to get a sleep study but finally got one after months of wrangling and waiting six weeks for their written test to 'prove' I had the symptoms of apnea and another six weeks for the actual study. Kaiser just hates to spend a cent on anyone.
Kaiser is losing money in Colorado:

Kaiser Permanente blames hospitals, “unfair business practices” for $65 million loss in Colorado in three years: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/1...-million-loss/

So they are laying off staff:

Kaiser Permanente Colorado lays off 200 workers to “address redundancies”
Job cuts come after insurer said it would review operations following financial difficulties

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/0...orado-layoffs/

My bet is that the management is under pressure to cut costs, hence the push back.

Their Medicare Advantage plan was recently downgraded by Medicare.

I can read the handwriting on the wall. So I'm outta there.

Remember, the customer doesn't give a damn about your problem; he only cares about his own problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM
 
20,584 posts, read 38,394,733 times
Reputation: 18547
Kaiser is a trip, that's for sure.

Wife went in for a routine proctoscopy at Kaiser in Falls Church, VA, a huge place that's larger than many rural hospitals.

Had an appointment, sat in the waiting room for a long time, fire alarm sounded, everyone vacated, got the all-clear and went back in, waited some more, receptionist said might have to cancel as their ONLY proctoscope was broken, receptionist came back later and said they borrowed a working proctoscope from an office on the next floor up. What a goat rope that place was. I had one Kaiser doctor tell me not to pay any attention to the other Kaiser doctor who was doing my barium enema 25 years ago. Some people love Kaiser, but I say run, not walk, to the nearest exit.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top