U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 AM

647 posts, read 340,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
So I've seen a ton of houses that look fine in the $225-$250K range, am I missing something? Are they all secretly crapshacks in the ghetto?

I'm not from either TX or CA but if people make snap judgments about me or decide not to like me because I lived there, that's fine...as long as people aren't openly hostile, I honestly don't care how they treat me. I had read that some people were hostile and threatening to some transplants which seemed excessive and I questioned their stories, but who knows. Most people here are pretty wrapped up in themselves and that's how it was in CA too, I figure I may as well be able to exist outside for more than a few months out of the year and have some nice hiking trails even if nothing else is different.
I'm going to agree and disagree with you.

Agree that almost nobody is openly hostile. Most people don't care where you are from.

Disagree about people just being into themselves. I've heard that before. I've found people here to be very friendly, much more so that California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM

879 posts, read 874,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Colo Spgs has had so many military and tech companies come through the city, it is much more accepting to new people than similar cities in northern CO. Most of the hatred you will face will come on internet forums and Facebook, but rarely in person.

There certainly are houses in the $225-250 range. PPAR.com show 279 of these in the Colo Spgs area, to include condos, townhomes, and the county. There seems to be a high concentration of them in the south-east part of town, which is not necessarily a vile place to live, but it does require research and caution on selecting these areas. In this part of town, you can have several streets of very well cared for a nice houses and a couple blocks over run into derelict, cardboard quality, 3bd 1 bth crap holes.

You mentioned older homes in your first post. What age bracket makes up the cut off in an older home? COS is typically like a bullseye with the oldest homes in the center and getting newer in age as it radiates out. The west side, is a much more mixed bag. If we know what age range you are after, we can better help you zero in on neighborhoods to look at.
So where I live now there are a lot of "new construction" type homes that were built in the last 10 years or so and they tend to cost more and I'm not a huge fan of them. Older homes generally mean anything before that, lol. But I see that gets confusing because then you get into historic, 100+ year old homes which I do love but recognize I probably can't afford. I just meant I don't mind if the house was built in the 1960s as long as it doesn't need major foundation work. I'm okay with a smaller house too (my rental house of 1500 sq ft is "small" here but I feel like it's big) like a 3/2 or a 2/2 would be completely fine. a 3/1 would kinda suck, I like having 2 bathrooms. I got spoiled

To add on, I don't mind if it's a little dated and maybe needs fresh paint and some flooring updates, but anything super extensive like foundation repair, roof repair, structural issues etc I'm not up for that. Or like "the whole bathroom needs redone before you can use it". Also while I don't have kids, a neighborhood where it's safe enough for me to walk my dogs alone after dark would be good.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 PM

879 posts, read 874,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I'm going to agree and disagree with you.

Agree that almost nobody is openly hostile. Most people don't care where you are from.

Disagree about people just being into themselves. I've heard that before. I've found people here to be very friendly, much more so that California.
Well good I've lived in 3 states so far and I seem to have a transient nature lol, I like exploring new places and 4 years appears to be my shelf life...I'm hoping this doesn't happen again cuz I am very outdoorsy and this seems like a good place for that.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:30 PM

924 posts, read 1,031,388 times
Quote:
Well good I've lived in 3 states so far and I seem to have a transient nature lol, I like exploring new places and 4 years appears to be my shelf life...I'm hoping this doesn't happen again cuz I am very outdoorsy and this seems like a good place for that.
If you're the outdoorsy type, you can't do much better than Colorado - here or other parts of this beautiful state.

People here are as they are everywhere, some friendly, some not. I've never encountered hostility; I think (hope) I speak for most folks when I say that here in the Springs, (and the west in general) it's a "live and let live" sort of place. A large percentage of our population live here for the outdoors lifestyle and that lends itself to happy attitudes.

It's hard to be hostile when there's a 14,000 ft. + plus mountain to gaze at, or a city park called "Garden of the Gods".

Old 10-21-2018, 04:11 AM

5 posts, read 2,000 times
I would say Colorado Springs is more libertarian than anything else politically.

Housing costs are increasing but still affordable. I would advise against looking for a house in the SE part of town. Cheapest area but also higher crime rates. If you can throw around 250-275 k$ for a house you should be able to find something. In the NE part of town which is a solid middle class area. If you can do 300k$ or better you can be in a very solid upper middle class neighborhood.

As for transplants: a LOT of people who live here were not born here. With the Air Force academy, and the various military bases around town; there’s a lot of people passing through.

The homeless population is booming but they are more concentrated to the SE and old colorado city areas (SW). They do beg but not as much as you would think. They are more scavengers here than beggars.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 476 times
Default It seems busier for sure

There does seem to be a lot more traffic. Housing prices have gone up, but no-where near as bad as Denver. The vagrant population has certainly grown, and I can't help but blame pot. We're a homeless Mecca. Getting into the mountains means sitting in traffic there and back.... Trails seem busier than the mall...
But it's still Colorado, and it's still beautiful.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 AM

3,902 posts, read 1,474,284 times
Quote:
...I'm not from either TX or CA but if people make snap judgments about me or decide not to like me because I lived there, that's fine...as long as people aren't openly hostile
The range of uncomfortability here among natives towards transplants and "outsiders" varies. A lot of times it's veiled passive-aggressive. Sometimes it crosses over into hostile. Don't be surprised.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:12 PM

48 posts, read 123,751 times
Folks, I wish i could define how marijuana affected CS but I do not know what, if any, metrics there are to support or dispel any hypothesis. I can tell you that up until 08/31/1986 I regularly smoked, I never had any problem obtaining it, I couldn't of cared less if or where it was legal or not and that would not have made one scrap of difference in my choice of where to live.

It seems to my recollection that the legalization was a state-wide action, was it not? If it was, then I would think that if legalization brought a negative element into our neighborhoods, it would have impacted pretty much every populated area. Is this the case? I can only theorize that if one was despondent enough to be a vagrant or if one was of criminal tendencies, simply finding an area that marijuana was legal wouldn't be the motivation to spend the resources to move, especially since, as I have already cited, I never had any problems obtaining it when I used it myself. As to supply, I have read that the biggest problem for the legal growers is the product brought into the area from illegal sources for it can be obtained from them significantly cheaper.

If my above observations are, in fact, substantially correct, i would suggest turning your attention to your government. I was under the presumption that the CS mayor was a responsible conservative, but after watching over time, that thought went out the window.

I believe many years ago it was ingrained in me that the first job of a responsible politician was to protect the people and their property. Doesn't it even say something to that effect in the opening words of the U.S. Constitution? I guess I am recalling words I was taught many, many, years ago...

Despite a growing crime rate, the CS government has done constructively nothing to prevent future growth nor protect the population, though they will be quick to hold up band-aid responses as if they are major achievements. All I saw was catering to special interest groups and the State's Governor, like that ridiculous fiasco spending public funds on the elimination of a lane on Research Ave. that drew so much fire the government had to wipe it out, then make us all suffer for another nine or so months until it was paved over with the rest of the paving project (nice retribution), or suckering all of you into that obscene and idiotic claim of "jump starting" the additional lanes on I-25 between CS and Castle Rock - How's that going for y'all? Even as a local tax (Toll Road), do you have it built? Was it YOUR responsibility to "jump-start" it? Nice donation from the City of Colorado Springs to the State of Colorado, from the CS Mayor to the Governor.

Special interest seemed to me to be a cancer gone wild in CS government; the appearance of responsible government wasn't to be seen. Want to see something interesting?

1) Go to the LexisNexis service called "Community Crime Map", available at https://communitycrimemap.com.

2) Instead of "clicking on your state", look just under the red ball in the upper left-hand corner - you will find a symbol that looks like this: ">>" (Obviously without the quotation marks...). Click on it, then put your address in.

3) Though this should be bad enough, next go down a bit under your address to the next expandable field of "Date Range" and change it so it will display the last 6 months.

4) Now, the next major drop-down labeled "Event" and select all major events you can stomach. If that wasn't enough, the next drop-down layer is "Offenders" where we get to include the sex offenders in your area, let's click that.

5) Now go back up to where you put in your address and just underneath it should be "Go To Address"; click that. There! Isn't that pretty!

Yes, there are many factors to consider, but don't let anyone side-rail you into blaming something else for the historic continued negligence that has lead to the 2016 to 2017 150% increase in murders along with the staggering increases in auto theft and so much else.

When I first got to CS, perhaps ten years ago, I thought the absence of police patrolling was a relief, for I do have a bad habit of exceeding speed limits. At the time, money was an extreme problem for a friend. That friend drove on expired plates for one and a half years until he had the money to get valid plates. The complete absence of police on your roads, and in this case i must extend the observation to State and Federal highways, is a horror in and of itself. As my friend did, but to a much greater extent, an element of the population exploits this to ignoring regulations that protect everyone. Where I live now, though State sales tax is roughly the same, and there is NO State Income Tax, police presence is regular - not intrusive, but a regular reminder that the government truly is there to serve and protect.

When I was active on a local community internet forum and made the same observation of the lack of police along with the neighborhood car and home break-ins, I received a number of replies, both publicly and privately, that we shouldn't depend on the police (in other words, our government) patrolling the neighborhoods, that we should arm ourselves and handle intruders directly. This is what your government has created, an environment where those who entertain the idea to break the laws see no reason not to, and the response is vigilantism. Let's see what that does to your property values in the long run. Chances are that your mayor won't much care, for folks at that level can afford to move out of the problem areas when they retire.

Make no mistake about it nor pervert my observations of poor government as a reflection upon the police: the officers and firefighters of CS do an outstanding job. They are horribly insulted by the lack of governmental appreciation and support to do the job that the city dictates that they receive.

And as to garbage, I must throw my two-cents' worth in with Sonic_Spork. Where I am now I thought the trash bin was ridiculously small. We get one trash bin and one recycling bin. An additional trash bin costs you extra. But with splitting stuff up between the two, it is not a problem at all - and I was the first to scoff at recycling programs and would state that a very warm place would freeze over first. I now eat a bit of crow...

Old 10-23-2018, 02:48 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,273,073 times
My thoughts with the "weed people" as it were...it's not that I'm some uptight person who just judges pot and users of it, I used to be a pot smoker, my ex husband still does daily, my Dad was, and I would guess a majority of my friends do.

I simply have known, as in personally spoken with, a few vagrants who wandered from one place to another on rumor of the ability to work in the industry, growing usually, or as "bud tenders" or whatever. They seemed to have the impression that the state must be full of opportunities for people who love the stuff. Whether that meant working with it or just not being drug tested for jobs, I dunno. But then they arrived...and the utopia they thought they were running to didn't materialize. No agricultural experience whatsoever but just a love of getting high, really won't make you competitive for what are essentially agricultural jobs. Who knew?? So I've known a few young people who just didn't really have a lot going on in their lives other than a passion for weed, who ended up here couch surfing and jamming out in Manitou for change and even holding signs.

Of course I've also met, tragically, women in their 20s and 30s who escaped abusive relationships, sometimes with their kids, and ended up homeless because of that.

And there are some you will see around who clearly either have mental health struggles or else problems with very hard drug addictions. I'm not sure how our homeless population here stacks up against other cities of similar size, but they sure are noticeable. Of course, to me, they were noticeable in Des Moines, Iowa in 2001, at least in the city center. I don't know how one solves this problem, or if it's even possible really.

Anyhow.

So a slightly older, not huge but more than a couple bedrooms and bathrooms, house, in the 200-250K price range, you guys I'm kinda thinking Patty Jewett? Anybody? What do you guys think? No? Maybe I'm just thinking that because I was driving around in there the other day on my way to eat at Panino's. (oh my god the mud pie...mmmmm....) The houses in there are cute, and it's a quiet neighborhood where you could definitely walk a dog happily. I'm honestly not sure where you would have to live in the Springs to not have easy access to trails and the outdoors, but there's a trail that runs right through there and it's not far to plenty more.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,631,738 times
I am thinking the PJ area is probably more like $300K and up these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or