U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2018, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,343 posts, read 4,379,127 times
Reputation: 15366

Advertisements

https://gazette.com/business/new-nor...d2aa3cb74.html

A Texas company that develops, builds and manages apartment complexes in several Western and Southwestern states has proposed a 256-unit project on Colorado Springs’ north side.

El Paso-based Bohannon Development Corp. has targeted a 16.4-acre site along Union Boulevard, just north of Lexington Drive, for its project, according to a proposal the company’s representatives submitted recently to city planners.

The company is seeking approval of a development plan that spells out project details; the complex would have studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom units spread over 11 buildings of two and three stories, the proposal shows. Amenities include a clubhouse and garages.


That site appears to be on a parcel of land along Union north of Lexington. That was a part of the Hewlett-Packard property site originally developed in the mid-80s. Hopefully, Ford Frick Park will remain.

My guess is that it will attract a NIMBY group from residents in that area. Adding about 500 cars to the neighborhood will substantially increase traffic congestion.

However, I think that kind of development which makes use of already built roads makes better sense than sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2018, 06:43 AM
 
30 posts, read 4,677 times
Reputation: 89
I think they are finishing up a townhouse project in the same area, so a bunch of new apartments would fit it. Hopefully, they will not take several years to finish the new apartments like they are doing with the Bella Vista apartments on Briargate Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Colorado
665 posts, read 346,317 times
Reputation: 779
Off hand, I can think of about a half dozen very large apartment complexes that are coming on line this year. Have also noticed a few new sel storage places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Denver
3,003 posts, read 2,409,122 times
Reputation: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Off hand, I can think of about a half dozen very large apartment complexes that are coming on line this year. Have also noticed a few new sel storage places.
For the love of god, WHO approved the stupid storage place on Powers and Old Ranch!!!! That is prime real estate, and what goes up? A storage shed place. Meanwhile Pine Creek students still have to drive 15 mins to get something to eat and there's still no close commercial zoning for the primary exit out of Black Forest for the 12000 people there.

I'm generally not NIMBYish, but you do need a little zoning, and this is a prime example. It's just out of place and there's hundreds of lots that aren't front and center view as you enter the city. Also, it's sad that the only thing that gets built in CO Springs is houses and storage for the crap people can't put in their houses, and RV lots for the RV they can't put in their yard. Outside of downtown, they only thing going up is strip malls and housing.

Thankfully they are adding more apartment housing, as the city is overweight with SFH development for a somewhat transient population due to the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 AM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,636,532 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Outside of downtown, they only thing going up is strip malls and housing.
I agree. After living in CS two years, I am disappointed by the disjointed development here. There doesn't seem to be a grand plan - just whatever some developer can "throw up" while the getting is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 10:55 AM
 
20,344 posts, read 37,861,657 times
Reputation: 18144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
For the love of god, WHO approved the stupid storage place on Powers and Old Ranch!!!! That is prime real estate, and what goes up? A storage shed place. Meanwhile Pine Creek students still have to drive 15 mins to get something to eat and there's still no close commercial zoning for the primary exit out of Black Forest for the 12000 people there.

I'm generally not NIMBYish, but you do need a little zoning, and this is a prime example. It's just out of place and there's hundreds of lots that aren't front and center view as you enter the city. Also, it's sad that the only thing that gets built in CO Springs is houses and storage for the crap people can't put in their houses, and RV lots for the RV they can't put in their yard. Outside of downtown, they only thing going up is strip malls and housing.

Thankfully they are adding more apartment housing, as the city is overweight with SFH development for a somewhat transient population due to the military.
I used to live at that corner, 11 years. Putting a storage yard there is just plain nuts, it belongs in the area around Voyager Pkwy and Interquest Pkwy.

I have many misgivings about how we do zoning in this country, but that's for another thread, another day.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Colorado
665 posts, read 346,317 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
For the love of god, WHO approved the stupid storage place on Powers and Old Ranch!!!! That is prime real estate, and what goes up? A storage shed place. Meanwhile Pine Creek students still have to drive 15 mins to get something to eat and there's still no close commercial zoning for the primary exit out of Black Forest for the 12000 people there.

I'm generally not NIMBYish, but you do need a little zoning, and this is a prime example. It's just out of place and there's hundreds of lots that aren't front and center view as you enter the city. Also, it's sad that the only thing that gets built in CO Springs is houses and storage for the crap people can't put in their houses, and RV lots for the RV they can't put in their yard. Outside of downtown, they only thing going up is strip malls and housing.

Thankfully they are adding more apartment housing, as the city is overweight with SFH development for a somewhat transient population due to the military.
Don’t know that it is prime real estate. It will get a lot of noise from Powers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Colorado
665 posts, read 346,317 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I used to live at that corner, 11 years. Putting a storage yard there is just plain nuts, it belongs in the area around Voyager Pkwy and Interquest Pkwy.

I have many misgivings about how we do zoning in this country, but that's for another thread, another day.
Voyager and Interquest needs shopping, not storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,003 posts, read 2,409,122 times
Reputation: 1859
There's a lot of land north of Pine Creek or along Old Ranch west. It's obviously for commercial, the road noise wouldn't hinder a Chick Fil A presence. They may put a commercial strip along Union when they connect it with Milam, but in general it seems like they just throw up homes, think about expanding the roads afterwards, then throw in a strip mall after the whole housing development has been built. That's what there doing along Marksheffel and Black Forest Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Colorado
665 posts, read 346,317 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
There's a lot of land north of Pine Creek or along Old Ranch west. It's obviously for commercial, the road noise wouldn't hinder a Chick Fil A presence. They may put a commercial strip along Union when they connect it with Milam, but in general it seems like they just throw up homes, think about expanding the roads afterwards, then throw in a strip mall after the whole housing development has been built. That's what there doing along Marksheffel and Black Forest Road.
The area north of Pine Creek is already planned for housing. (Both sides of Powers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top