U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 70 times

Advertisements

I am PCSing to Fort Carson after new year and I am renting for the first several months to allow me to research various areas and find a decent place before my family comes later in the year.. I read through some of the threads regarding housing etc but was unable to get information regarding following topics and was hoping to get insight from those of you who are familiar with the area.

1. I found some reasonable priced homes in southwest COS (Broadmoor) for our budget and while this is close to post, I am concerned about landslides. Published geological maps have pretty much that whole area flagged and I saw some news articles regarding issues in 2015 etc. How has this impacted resale in the area?

2. Are the homes in Fountain, Colorado targeted mainly to AD population or are other people moving to this area? I have concerns about this area if this is only serving a niche population as it pertains to resale not to mention what appears to be rapid development as when I was looking at homes online I was asking myself why buy this house when I can get new construction for essentially same price.

3. Are sink holes from old mining shafts a big issue in the Rockrimmon area?

4. Crime is a problem where I currently reside but looking at crime maps online and comparing it to my current location I was astonished at how much worse it appeared in COS. I have read that crime was becoming a problem but was wondering if steps were being taken to mitigate this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 12:12 PM

5,016 posts, read 6,713,973 times
1. There are areas in that general neighborhood where landslide is not a likely concern, and there are some where it is. No, it doesn't affect resale values really until you have actual subsidence, then you have big problems.

2. Fountain and Security-Widefield are maybe 30% military and retired military, if that. I personally think it is a great option.

3. Used to be long in the past, but haven't heard of any in decades that I can recall. It may be that majority of the old shafts are already collapsed. I had a friend who lived in the area years ago and they were required to buy extra insurance for that concern, I think.

4. General perception here is that major crime is not a major issue, and tends to involve people who know each other and are involved in some criminal activity. Most people feel safe here. I think we did add more police fairly recently.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,689,715 times
1. careful investigation of neighboring houses would be in order on anything up in the bluff areas in any place west of I-25.
2. there isn't enough military here to entirely fill of the Security-Widefield area, despite its proximity to the bases. although they will have a higher percentage than any other parts of the city.
3. ditto what otowi said.
4. for whatever reason, COS does have a higher violent crime rate as a city. Again, otowi is on the spot and I'd also add that 40% of the violent crime occurs within a few zip code area. It is actually pretty easy to avoid violent crime in the area adn there are no wholesale areas that feel totally unsafe, even in the aforemention zip codes.

Old Today, 05:27 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,388,143 times
OP: Read this string about soils in the area:

Soil types in Colorado Springs area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs