U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 PM

5,040 posts, read 6,765,496 times

Advertisements

When the first homes were put into Security in the 1950s, they all came with HUGE lots - because the idea/intent was that everyone would have a garden large enough to feed their families. The ones with smaller lots are still big by modern standards. I think it was sometime in the 90s maybe when they started building huge houses on tiny lots right next to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 12:37 PM

623 posts, read 334,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
When the first homes were put into Security in the 1950s, they all came with HUGE lots - because the idea/intent was that everyone would have a garden large enough to feed their families. The ones with smaller lots are still big by modern standards. I think it was sometime in the 90s maybe when they started building huge houses on tiny lots right next to each other.
That's actually really cool.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:41 PM

45 posts, read 21,182 times
Camp 87, you picked the wrong opinion to listen to. I moved to Colorado Springs, but before that spent 25 plus years in Central Fla. Sanford, Winter Park and Oviedo. Needless to say if you had to choose between Alabama and Colorado, it would be Colorado hands down, but its not all sunshine and roses here either. Housing wise your money wont buy near as much here or near as nice here. And if you are in a location like Orlando, get ready for the same or more people. Green? Kiss it goodbye when you leave Florida, unless you plant it and care for it you wont have any green here. Weather, you will love it here. It gets hot, but hot here and hot in Florida are not even on the same chart. No more being dripping wet 2 minutes after you walk out of your air conditioned house. It's terrific! If you cant live without the ocean, don't come to Colorado, but if you want to have gorgeous things to look at (at least in the mountains) you'll love it. Not sure if this board allowed pm's, but I was you years ago. Any questions I can answer don't hesistate to ask. Sorry I cant offer opinions on kids stuff as I don't have any.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 PM

20,417 posts, read 38,029,695 times
luvallmydogs, we get it you're not happy in COLO SPGS, but it would be proper if you could check some FACTS before you start bad mouthing the city.

"... if you are in a location like Orlando, get ready for the same or more people."

That is totally bogus.

COLO SPGS Metro area is 712k people.
Orlando, FL Metro area is 2.4M people, over triple the size.
Orlando, FL CSA is 3.1M people, over four times the size of COLO SPGS.

COLO SPGS gets some tourists but it doesn't get the hordes of tourists like Orlando.
To my knowledge, COLO SPGS doesn't get "Spring Breakers" like Florida.

You are correct about the drier air, which also means very few bugs in COLO SPGS, very few mosquitos, fleas and ticks.
I've sat in restaurants in Orlando and watched the roaches crawling around...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 PM

What is it with you Mike? If no one can say anything here unless it matches what you say, what's the point in even having it open to other people. Have YOU lived in Orlando Mike? Did you move from Florida to Colorado? Colorado Springs is far from perfect, and I will tell people when they ask what is good and what is not. Why is this a problem for you? Are you recruiting people to live here? What's your deal?

Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 PM

Population
270,934 Orlando
456,568 Colorado Springs

Here ya go Mike, populations of both. Bogus? Really?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:31 PM

Yes, your post was bogus because the Orlando metro area population dwarfs the COLO SPGS metro area.

My 'deal' is to correctly represent the two cities, which are far more than just arbitrary political jurisdictional boundaries, i.e., the totality of each metro area is the key factor not just the city limits -- life and crowding doesn't end at the city limits. Similarly, Denver is "only" 600k people BUT the Denver CSA is 3.5M people which is similar to Orlando. Denver and Orlando are crowded but to paint COLO SPGS as crowded is just not so.

In 2016 it is reported that 66 million people visited Orlando, and 5 million to COLO SPGS, so tell me again about all that crowding.

Last edited by Mike from back east; Yesterday at 12:03 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

701 posts, read 423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campn87 View Post
My family have a chance to move to Colorado (or Alabama) for my husbands job so we have to choose. He used to live in Alabama so we know most of what we need to know about it now.

Colorado on the other hand, we’ve never even been close to it. The most west I’ve been was Illinois (which isn’t even west!) so I have lots of questions. Right now we live in Florida and Colorado seems more expensive.

What are the house prices like, and where? How much do newer construction cost for a 3-4 bedrooms? Any zip codes I should look up?

Another thing which sort of terrifies me, winters. We survived 3 years in Chicago and winter there is the main reason we moved, it was brutal for months and months and seemed to never end with dark skies. How are COS winters?

Lastly, how are mosquitos there? They’re my worst nightmare here cause myself and my kids are so allergic to them.

Thank you everyone, please share anything else you think would benefit me, I feel like I’m not even sure what I should ask.
i used to live in FL. got recruited and now live here. I believe alabama is much more cheaper to live....esp if its in a suburb or rural area. Orlando is cheaper than COS...and COS will keep going up in price as long as people keep flocking here which I dont mind....drives my property up and maybe i can always meet outdoorsy ppl. btw if you offroad and moving here, hit me up!

winter in COS is not bad but the worst part about here is the hail. we have hail every year. sometimes we get lucky and dont have large ones. As long as you dont bring your florida driving habits here (tailgating, speeding, texting and driving) youll be fine in the snow. Ive never wrecked in the snow and I drive all over the mountains in icy conditions. But I see retards speeding and tailgating all the time and THEY WILL eventually end up in a ditch or roll off the cliff. and I dont care what people say GET SNOW TIRES...studded if possible. YES MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I owned all 4 types of tires....all season, snow non stud, snow w/ studs, mud tires, summer tires. in the snow DONT tailgate again....DONT TAILGATE ive seen so many wrecks due to this. I guess either people are stupid...or they have an ego thinking they are the next pro ice racer..oh yeah buy a dash cam. they will try and pin the blame on you. happened to be once on some1 slidding through a red light. cops came he blamed it on me...oh here officer, here is my dashcam. lol the look on that womans face

If I had a choice in job placement though....I would pick Alabama IF its rural. but thats me, i like rural areas and I hate hail. BUTTTT if i can, I would move to penrose or divide tarryall in CO. that would be heaven for me....eh maybe when I retire.

as far as mosquitos....for some reason....every year they have been getting more and more by the trails. not like FL though and by cold nights, they go away. I maybe see them 3 months out of the year? Flys and horse flys though....they been increasing along the trails as well. Havent seen mosquitos though in populated areas.

if mosquitos are a factor where you live, avoid alabama then lol. they got em over there.

As far as new homes....ehhh prebuilds I am seeing them 300 - 400k+ now. with barely and yard space. My house was 210k...within 2 years it went up to 300k. Property will keep going up as long as people keep moving here....but thats anywhere.

I would say 400k is a good starting point for a home here with OK yard space. If you can, I would look in peyton or falcon if you dont mind commuting. bigger home and more yard space with less traffic. And its a growing area as well.

COS is probably like Orlando traffic now....and Miami traffic in certain areas due to smaller roads. overall COS is not bad....but eventually like any other city, as the population increases, traffic, frustration, crime will become abundance. But ill give it 10 years before it gets there. but ive noticed a large difference within 3 years.

Last edited by willc86; Yesterday at 07:57 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

5,040 posts, read 6,765,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, your post was bogus because the Orlando metro area population dwarfs the COLO SPGS metro area.

My 'deal' is to correctly represent the two cities, which are far more than just arbitrary political jurisdictional boundaries, i.e., the totality of each metro area is the key factor not just the city limits -- life and crowding doesn't end at the city limits. Similarly, Denver is "only" 600k people BUT the Denver CSA is 3.5M people which is similar to Orlando. Denver and Orlando are crowded but to paint COLO SPGS as crowded is just not so.

In 2016 it is reported that 66 million people visited Orlando, and 5 million to COLO SPGS, so tell me again about all that crowding.
I think some people in these forums do not understand the difference between fact and opinion. While "crowded" is a matter of subjectivity, to consider Orlando and Colorado Springs as similar in size and in tourist impact is a matter that is not opinion - clearly, fact is they are not similar. Colorado Springs is a much smaller metro area with a much smaller impact from tourists.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

Thread has been edited.

Please focus on the OP's inquiry.

Last edited by Mike from back east; Yesterday at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or