Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 01:02 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times

Advertisements

Is the killing of squirrels by hunting them allowed in Colorado? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
You bet!

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hu...QuickGuide.pdf

My grandfather ate them but I would never want to do that (!).

I have killed probably 5-10 a year (for many years) in my Briargate neighborhood as a last resort. Similar to the disease-carrying wild rabbits that seem to take over every neighborhood now. Just use a good powerful BB gun that is quiet and the neighbors (some of who feed them) will never know. You can not shoot any guns in the city limits and that includes squirrels.

The rabbit problem: https://www.fox21news.com/news/wild-...emia/837447617

Squirrels get skittish after trying to get the food (peanut butter on apples) I have used in my Have-a-Heart traps and will never go into the trap again if they somehow manage to escape it the first time. I have moved a lot of them over the years and try and do that first.

If you end up moving them they will probably die anyway. Squirrels are territorial and if you move them (at least 10 miles is recommended) they will probably be in another squirrels territory and will not live long.

It is hard enough trying to grow things or have a nice garden in CO. as it is- these varmints seems to eat everything in their path and can cause quite a bit of damage to your house also if you are not careful.

Last edited by LHS79; 12-10-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 03:26 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Please note there is a hunting season, a license is required, there are bag limits and carry limits, and it may not be legal to shoot in your neighborhood - you might need to go to a game hunting location.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:12 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Ground squirrels....kill them all. ;-)

Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 PM

149 posts, read 104,180 times
In Colorado, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, etc. may be considered nuisance animals if they are destroying your property and can be killed/trapped without a license:

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Wi...ceWildlife.pdf

Within the City of Colorado Springs, you are not allowed to discharge a firearm, and that includes a BB gun, unless you are protecting your property:

9.7.104: DISCHARGE OF WEAPON:
A. It is unlawful for any person to wrongfully fire or discharge any cannon, gun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, air gun, BB gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, or firearm within the City. The discharge of firearms using only blank ammunition by the members of any military company when on parade or when engaged in an official ceremony, done in accord with the command of the commanding officers, shall not be deemed a violation, nor shall the discharge of firearms at shooting galleries as a licensed business, or as part of a business licensed or permitted to operate within the City be deemed a violation.

B. The discharge of firearms using only blank ammunition for the educational or entertainment benefit of the public, when and if approved by the Mayor by written revocable permit, shall not be deemed a violation of this section. For purposes of determining whether a permit will be issued, the Mayor shall consider environmental concerns, noise concerns, location, time of activity, and the health, safety and welfare of the public; however, nothing in this section shall be construed as providing for the issuance of a written revocable permit as a matter of right. Any permit issued under this section shall be revocable at the discretion of the Mayor or the City Council, or by the Chief of Fire or Police if in the performance of that person's duties.

C. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of this section if a person discharges a firearm in an act of self-defense of the person, the person's property or the person's domestic animal.

I use a Have A Hart trap for cottontails and relocate them several miles away. I have not had a squirrel problem yet. This has been a big topic of discussion on NextDoor.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:41 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Also, these kinds of wildlife, in Colorado, carry the plague.

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/FastFac...s/plague_F.pdf

While it is curable with antibiotics, I wouldn't want to catch it and find out what a real "Medieval experience" feels like...so I'd be pretty wary of messing with the beasties that carry it (or the fleas, more accurately, that do.)

Apparently cats can catch it, and transmit it to owners as well. Yet another reason for me to be happy I keep my cat inside.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 PM

235 posts, read 355,207 times
"I have killed probably 5-10 a year (for many years) in my Briargate neighborhood ... Just use a good powerful BB gun that is quiet and the neighbors (some of who feed them) will never know. You can not shoot any guns in the city limits and that includes squirrels."

So you basically just admitted you break the law then. SMDH.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 AM

127 posts, read 95,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
"I have killed probably 5-10 a year (for many years) in my Briargate neighborhood ... Just use a good powerful BB gun that is quiet and the neighbors (some of who feed them) will never know. You can not shoot any guns in the city limits and that includes squirrels."

So you basically just admitted you break the law then. SMDH.

LHS79 was wrong. You can shoot a BB gun within city limits. See the posting by GAngus. When in doubt, always to read the city code yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs