U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 AM

28 posts, read 12,882 times

Advertisements

My family have a chance to move to Colorado (or Alabama) for my husbands job so we have to choose. He used to live in Alabama so we know most of what we need to know about it now.

Colorado on the other hand, weíve never even been close to it. The most west Iíve been was Illinois (which isnít even west!) so I have lots of questions. Right now we live in Florida and Colorado seems more expensive.

What are the house prices like, and where? How much do newer construction cost for a 3-4 bedrooms? Any zip codes I should look up?

Another thing which sort of terrifies me, winters. We survived 3 years in Chicago and winter there is the main reason we moved, it was brutal for months and months and seemed to never end with dark skies. How are COS winters?

Lastly, how are mosquitos there? Theyíre my worst nightmare here cause myself and my kids are so allergic to them.

Thank you everyone, please share anything else you think would benefit me, I feel like Iím not even sure what I should ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 AM

1,815 posts, read 626,836 times
Never lived in Colorado but have visited there several times. I think it's beautiful and never met a local there that had any complaints either.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 AM

12,902 posts, read 24,658,028 times
Do you have a specific town or city in Colorado? It makes a big difference. It's a big state with varying altitudes, weather and so forth.

I live at 7,000 feet. It's 8 degrees out right now but there's sun almost every day. Not those grey dreary raw cold winter days like I had back East (similar, I imagine, to Chicago). I have no mosquitos but don't know if it's due to my altitude. Since Colorado is so arid, I can't imagine that mosquitos would be anything like Florida.
I think you'll get some more answers if you can be more specific, and yes, I'm sure it's more expensive here. But beautiful.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Do you have a specific town or city in Colorado? It makes a big difference. It's a big state with varying altitudes, weather and so forth.

I live at 7,000 feet. It's 8 degrees out right now but there's sun almost every day. Not those grey dreary raw cold winter days like I had back East (similar, I imagine, to Chicago). I have no mosquitos but don't know if it's due to my altitude. Since Colorado is so arid, I can't imagine that mosquitos would be anything like Florida.
I think you'll get some more answers if you can be more specific, and yes, I'm sure it's more expensive here. But beautiful.
We are looking in Colorado Springs!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,106,046 times
We do have some mosquitos, but it is nothing like more humid areas of the US.

The winters here are not like back east winters. We can have bitter cold and snow one day, and the next sunny and 60. Generally it does snow, but it melts pretty quickly when the sun comes out. It is not that gloomy grey sky that you get all winter back east.

Housing in Colorado Springs will be more than Alabama for sure. Here is a website with new homes and costs:

https://www.newhomesource.com/commun...o-springs-area

Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,649,426 times
We moved to Colorado Springs from a warm, humid environment two years ago. Right now, there is a blanket of snow and beautiful blue skies. There have been a few cold, dreary days but they are not the usual. One of the things we have enjoyed the most is NO bugs - no mosquitos, no fleas, no roaches. We chose to buy an older house in the central area so not familiar with new home prices but I am guessing $300K and up depending on location.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:19 AM

2,736 posts, read 1,734,851 times
Assuming you coming from the Orlando area, yes, Colo Spgs is considerably different.

Housing prices are much higher. Median price in Orlando is $217k, Colo Spgs is $280k and rising. New construction for a 4bd, 3bth will be closer to $350k. The city is a bit like a tree as the oldest section are in the very center of town and things get consistently newer as you radiate out from the center.

Population density here is also radically different. In FL you can be in a different city every 30 minutes, some with great schools and a range of businesses. In CO, population is clustered around major metros and most amenities will be in these areas. 30 minutes out of these metros will put you in either someone's field, the side of a mountain, or a small town that barely survives with very little in the way of services.

Winters here, as well as weather in general, are a very mixed bag. It can snow anytime in a range of dates from October to May. However, it does not snow constantly in that time frame and we can actually go a month or more with no snow at all. We get the occasional blizzard that will dump a foot of snow with sub zero temp and gale force winds. We also can have temps in February so mild you can wear shorts and flip flops while you wash the car. Our snowiest months are actually March and April, so once you are ready for spring to warm things up, WHAM, we get a snow storm and Easter is under 6" of snow. We do get a lot of sunshine year round and very little humidity. 35* and 10% humidity feels like an entirely different animal than 45* and 70% humidity. With the sun, it can be 40* outside and 50* in your car.

Mosquitoes, as well as many other bugs, are present but not prolific and much smaller. Dusk is when these tend to become active. The aridness of the region means they are not all over the place. They can be found in the city because of the watering of plants and reservoirs of water storage. They can be found in the mountains, again near water. They are not overly aggressive and are small compared to what you've seen in FL.

The dryness and altitude here will be the most pronounced impacts on your relocation. Your sinuses will dry out and hurt. Possibly even to the point of nosebleeds. Congestion in the morning when you wake up could become a norm as you body attempts to hold on to every drop of fluid it has. Plan on spending more on moisturizers than you ever did in FL. Altitude will also leave you breathless for anywhere from a few days to several months depending on your overall physical condition. It also means you are a mile closer to the sun, so the intensity of the rays can quickly create sunburn and leave you squinting. Sunscreen or headwear and sunglasses are a necessity.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 AM

$350,000 is our budget, but we also want 3-4 bedrooms in a newer house thatís at least 2000 sqft, not sure how realistic those wishes are there. Any neighborshoods to check out?

That sounds wonderful really, the winters sound way more mild! How are the summers like!? Does it get super hot? Also, how much green is there? Iíve looked at some pictures and it looked very desert like.

Do you eventually adapt to the elevation?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:21 AM

20,417 posts, read 38,029,695 times
Does not get super hot, nor humid. Lived there 11 years, still recommend it.

My fave area is zip 80920, aka Briargate. Search www.realtor.com for zip 80920, 80921, 80923 all of which are on the northern part of town where most things are new or newish and with good shopping. Funkier area is over on the west side, known as Old Colorado City (OCC) that is also a fave with people and you can search using the term OCC and get all the threads for instant info. If you want to be closer to downtown then for $350k I think our regulars would suggest you search this forum using the term Patty Jewett which is a certain area with older charm and a nice location.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:12 PM

100 posts, read 97,524 times
Very brown here- not much green or trees other then pines. It is beautiful but I miss the lakes...none much here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or