U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 PM

24 posts, read 44,261 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering retiring to CO Springs next year. We love friendly, quiet, safe, neighborhoods, walking/hiking trails and mountain views and hate drama, noise and crime. Can anyone recommend an area of the metro area to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 PM

5,090 posts, read 6,821,977 times
lol - recommend an area to avoid? That's an interesting way of going about it! Most people would tell you to avoid parts of the SE corner of the city for crime, main thoroughfares like Academy Blvd, Powers Blvd, and I-25 for noise. If you want good mountain views you actually want to be not right up against them, that would add most of the west side of the city to your avoid list.

I'd guess that would leave you with northeast - perhaps around Black Forest, Falcon, etc.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 AM

412 posts, read 197,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlegel View Post
My wife and I are considering retiring to CO Springs next year. We love friendly, quiet, safe, neighborhoods, walking/hiking trails and mountain views and hate drama, noise and crime. Can anyone recommend an area of the metro area to avoid?
Definitely avoid the new developments on the North side (Flying Horse, Wolf Ranch etc...).

The Land Rovers, Audi's, and BMW's heading up to Denver every day on the I25 commute will run you over.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:24 AM

624 posts, read 341,623 times
You might like a new patio home. These are geared towards seniors with exterior maintenance included, wheel chair ramps standard, Pickle Ball.

Look for words like, "retreat, enclave, paired patio, low maintenance, active living, and pickle ball."
They'll be found in the Northern parts of the city. East & West.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:25 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,662,339 times
We retired here two years ago and chose an older home in a quiet, central neighborhood (Patty Jewett area). It has turned out to be a very convenient location overall for the things we do. Still haven't learned all the areas but personally would not want to be right off the Powers corridor, far north or SE area of town.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM

729 posts, read 380,571 times
you seem to be getting some less than great answers so far.
Doubt you'll get much drama unless you rent an apartment.
There are few areas that are really noisy unless you're right on a busy street.
Avoid south, east and southeast of downtown to avoid crime.
Don't know why people are steering you away form Flying Horse, Wolf Ranch and Powers corridor - there are very nice areas there. Far north is very nice with good neighborhoods and hiking available.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:18 PM

20,474 posts, read 38,170,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
....Far north is very nice with good neighborhoods and hiking available.
Agree. Briargate, Pine Creek, Wolf Ranch, Cordera and Flying Horse are communities with lovely homes, a lot of amenities, great shopping, and less crime.

There's a lot of hiking all over the area, suggest you use our excellent search tool with the term HIKING to get a lot of info in quick fashion.

We spent 11 years in the area near Pine Creek HS and loved it.

Best way for us to help you is tell us two things: (1) Your target price and (2) Where is work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 543 times
On this same topic are there any home builders to avoid in that area out here there are a couple notorious one for building low cost and ultimately poor quality homes that have had many many problems.

Also possibly looking at condo’s tired of all the upkeep know any good condo’s?

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 PM

75 posts, read 19,266 times
We live in the Briargate area in a "California style subdivision". What does that mean? 2,500 to 3,000 square foot homes on 6,000 square foot lots. We have no issues except there is a slight shortage of on street parking because folks fill up their garages with crap and do not park in their driveways for some reason. Houses in my neighborhood are 15 to 20 years old, and are in the $275,000 to $350,000 price range. Of the few hitting the market, it seems like they sell within two weeks or so, often near the asking price. We are right next door to a middle school with the high school just a few hundred yards further. Being so close to these schools is not a problem. There is a hospital just a short distance away, along with a Lowe's, Walgreens, Target, and fitness club. A short drive will get you to Safeway, King Sooper's, and a bunch of restaurants. If you cross Powers going east, you will hit the newer subdivisions. Houses are about $100,000 more, starting in the low $400Ks; they are a little nicer, but not worth the cost increase in my opinion. There is a trail system in the area, paved of course, that interconnects several parks. We have a great view of Pikes Peak from our back deck. There are hundreds of apartments being built in the area at this time, most around the Briargate Parkway and Powers interchange area. I think our elevation is around 6,500 feet. Traffic in the area is not bad at all, except for northbound Powers during the weekdays when school is in session. You might want to check out medical services. We recently became Medicare eligible. We had no problem transferring to Medicare with our current doctors, but they said they would not accept new patients coming into the area.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 543 times
@SilverAng sorry for slow reply holidays prepping to move blah blah.
Thanks for the input I appreciate it.
Trying to do research before getting there. Housing market is changing so much again ( eyeroll)
Happy New Year’s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or