U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 AM

21 posts, read 8,226 times

Advertisements

I am from a very non religious part of the country and I have spoken to numerous people about Colorado Springs. These people are from a variety of states. The only time I ever hear about the religious people of this city is on this forum. Typically it's from people that don't like religious people.

Keep in mind that I do not go to church. I do not feel as though people need to leave just because they have differing opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:19 AM

20,453 posts, read 38,125,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle99 View Post
... The only time I ever hear about the religious people of this city is on this forum. ... .
It goes way beyond the people on this forum. The national media has long painted the city as the Vatican of the West. Media used to report on and replay goofy press releases from Focus on the Family when Dobson would opine to his NATIONAL radio audience that such and such a cartoon character "has gay tendencies" or other such homophobic nonsense. People nationwide were given an impression that COLO SPGS is a city of religious nuts and they come into these forums with that perspective which we've had to debunk for years. It gets old. The perspective is bogus but the perspective has been spread around the nation, not just in these forums.

The nutjobs who made such news are largely now off the national stage, but we'll fight the reputation for a long time and is why we wish that reputation would go away.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 PM

21 posts, read 8,226 times
I think YOU think about Colorado Springs having that reputation more than anyone else does.

Most of the articles I found except one were dated over 10 years ago.

But I can imagine that people coming to this forum think that the Evangelical organizations are out to get them.

I welcome any churches that wish to be here. I have plenty of friends that are Evangelicals and they don't bother me.

Just out of curiosity, are all Evangelicals considered nutjobs or just some?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM

403 posts, read 192,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle99 View Post
I think YOU think about Colorado Springs having that reputation more than anyone else does.

Most of the articles I found except one were dated over 10 years ago.

But I can imagine that people coming to this forum think that the Evangelical organizations are out to get them.

I welcome any churches that wish to be here. I have plenty of friends that are Evangelicals and they don't bother me.

Just out of curiosity, are all Evangelicals considered nutjobs or just some?
Most folks probably think Klingenschmitt and Haggard are the best examples of local nut jobs.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM

20,453 posts, read 38,125,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Most folks probably think Klingenschmitt and Haggard are the best examples of local nut jobs.
Exactly the case. Though they are not now on the national stage, their reputation still lingers out there and is why we still fight the old stereotypes. People from around the country come into this forum and wonder if things really are this nutty in the city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:12 PM

540 posts, read 235,958 times
I read the OP as ONE thing. So here it is....

Get rid of the quarry scar west of town.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:02 PM

576 posts, read 637,525 times
I'd like to have a Zipcar living on my block, like I did in Cambridge MA.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Status: "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas ... to no avail." (set 6 days ago)

953 posts, read 1,054,617 times
Articles you've found may be 10 years old, but we still, and quite regularly, get questions about the far right religious presence here. A simple search in these forums bring up plenty of fairly recent threads. Focus on the Family and Will Perkins really did a number on the Springs.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:42 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,658,302 times
Only one thing???
I think some fresh perspective (ie young educated folk moving here) would be a good thing. Lots of old white men running the show. The libertarian or whatever you want to call it mindset is frustrating too. Go ahead...drive as fast as you want because no one else matters.
I wish there were more wonderful places to eat, ie most are very mediocre.
But that gorgeous mountain makes up for any deficits.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:01 PM

2,786 posts, read 1,771,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I read the OP as ONE thing. So here it is....

Get rid of the quarry scar west of town.
Nature is slowing working on that and there have been occasional proposals put forth to turn parts of it into a recreation area as well. I do think planting some trees would go along way to improving its overall appearance but it does have some active slide zones that still need to be dealt with.

re: the evangelicals, it certainly is not a national topic now, which seems to spare us being a constant topic. Since we participate in this forum, it may seem to be the only place its brought up since it may be front and center to a reader, but it does sit in the far back recess of many peoples minds, despite the quiet over the last decade. I think it is in some part is due to the fact that the organizations based here tend to be national or international in their focus and we do not see advertisements, promotion, or programming locally from them unless you attend their churches. The funny thing to me about it is despite the perception, press, and nickname, we are no where near the top 20-25 of places in any sort of religious, conservative, or evangelical list of places in a general internet search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or