U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 2,461,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I read the OP as ONE thing. So here it is....

Get rid of the quarry scar west of town.
I like that scar! It adds to the scenery; it's like an x ray vision into the inside of a mountain!

I'd also like to make CO Springs have 40 inches of rain a year so it'd be lush AND mountainous. That won't happen, though hopefully it does get a little wetter as it gets warmer with global warming. At least the CO2 is making the trees more drought tolerant.

Realistically, I'd like a continuous hiking, mountain biking, and dirt biking / ATV trail system that is connected from Canyon City to Sedalia. It's connected from Sedalia to Woodland Park, but it's hard to access from the front range side. The could start by adding access directly from west Castle Rock and west Monument. That would be HUGE for the city if this could ever get accomplished. It would make it a dirtbike / mountain bike mecca instead of just a decent city for that activity. I think it's totally achievable and realistic, but I don't know if it will ever happen.

The other thing that would be nice is more focus on aesthetics for eastern part of the city. It doesn't even try to be pretty, though it's not ugly either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 AM

2,795 posts, read 1,779,132 times
Phil P, are you aware of the Ring the Peak trail network? It isn't complete yet but is extensive and slowly growing. I believe there are longer term plans to tie it in the Colo Spgs urban trail system and the Cheyenne Mtn State Park network.

Ring the Peak | Friends of the Peak

Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 PM

13,339 posts, read 11,076,543 times
One thing? Get rid of the bike lanes on Cascade along with CC build pedestrian bridges, for Pete's sake, so cars can drive through without having to wait in one lane now for slow poke walkers
...rather than another copper roofed building.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 AM

1,980 posts, read 1,169,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Only one thing???
I think some fresh perspective (ie young educated folk moving here) would be a good thing. Lots of old white men running the show. The libertarian or whatever you want to call it mindset is frustrating too. Go ahead...drive as fast as you want because no one else matters.
I wish there were more wonderful places to eat, ie most are very mediocre.
But that gorgeous mountain makes up for any deficits.
I agree, when I am a little down for some reason, I look at that peak and am brought back around, fast!!

If I could change anything, well I agree, Cascade is a mess now. But I would change the speed limits, especially on Union. Union is in the back of my place and is like a darn speedway. Do we really need to tear around town like crazy fools??????

Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM

13,339 posts, read 11,076,543 times
I would make the meters around Kimball's Theater have 3 hr limits, instead of just 2, so you can park and see a movie with no sweat.
I mean I know where to park...but many don't.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Status: "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas ... to no avail." (set 9 days ago)

955 posts, read 1,056,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I would make the meters around Kimball's Theater have 3 hr limits, instead of just 2, so you can park and see a movie with no sweat.
I mean I know where to park...but many don't.
Yeah, that would be nice ... I love Kimball's, but I hate having to leave a movie to feed the meter. You'd think they could work something out with the city. But maybe it's just about being fair to the surrounding businesses.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 PM

5,080 posts, read 6,808,485 times
Well if you go to a night show or Sunday show - no meter fee. That's what I'd do. But yeah it doesn't make sense to not be able to watch a whole movie.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM

20,458 posts, read 38,139,940 times
There's a city parking garage a block over to the north, next to the bus terminal. At 2PM the price to park there goes down to $1.00 for the rest of the day, then we'd walk through the alley to Kimball's and catch a matinee.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 2,461,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Phil P, are you aware of the Ring the Peak trail network? It isn't complete yet but is extensive and slowly growing. I believe there are longer term plans to tie it in the Colo Spgs urban trail system and the Cheyenne Mtn State Park network.

Ring the Peak | Friends of the Peak
Thanks for sharing! I've heard about this, but didn't know much about it. It's good to see the progress that's being made on the hiking frontier.

From a mountain biking / dirt biking / offroading perspective, it would just be nice if Rampart range was more connected with public access from the front range side. There's lots of land and plenty of trails, but it's not really accessible except from the backside on road 67 from sedalia to woodland park. It would be so much nicer to access this land from Monument or Peregrine instead of Woodland Park.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 AM

5,080 posts, read 6,808,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Thanks for sharing! I've heard about this, but didn't know much about it. It's good to see the progress that's being made on the hiking frontier.

From a mountain biking / dirt biking / offroading perspective, it would just be nice if Rampart range was more connected with public access from the front range side. There's lots of land and plenty of trails, but it's not really accessible except from the backside on road 67 from sedalia to woodland park. It would be so much nicer to access this land from Monument or Peregrine instead of Woodland Park.
You can access Rampart Range Road from Garden of the Gods too - just in case you didn't know.... And as for access from Monument - just get on Mt. Herman Road and it dead ends at Rampart Range Road. You can also access via the Palmer Reservoirs on a mountain bike although you might find the trails a bit difficult and the distance a bit far, not sure.

Last edited by otowi; 12-18-2018 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or