U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:24 AM

3,991 posts, read 1,582,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I wonder why the people in "hip" Denver are not trying to tear down the power plant near Mile High Stadium next to I-25.

It must be affecting someone's "special" views (!).
It will happen eventually solar is already cheaper than coal. https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikesco.../#5da2ecaa66ce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:16 AM

205 posts, read 97,395 times
I think somehow we will be paying for more. It may be cheaper once established, but I think we get to pay more.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-31-2018 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-31-2018, 09:57 PM

205 posts, read 97,395 times
What about forest fires that seem to be a yearly occurrence now? Not so much here but in our mountains to the west. The fires put out lots of pollution. I think before building these solar plants our state should think about increased effort to thin out our forests, so we have less fires and smoke in the summer. There also should be some critical thinking so that we as a city aren't paying 15-20% more for energy, when we already are dealing with increased housing costs. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea to cut down on pollution but there are other factors more important right now, like making this town a bit more affordable and reducing wildfire threat without relying on "wet" years to keep us fire free. Also, a freeway like a 125 that goes around the city would be good first before this to reduce urban traffic. If we thinned out our forests, we would be better off during the dryer years. After that is completed, then we could talk about solar energy. For now, we need less fire threat, because many of our forests are getting old. It's not just because of droughts, it's because of many decades of natural fire suppression.

Last edited by Educator1982; 12-31-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 11:12 AM

46 posts, read 22,251 times
Its more complex than thinning out our forest as a mitigation technique. There is a direct spatial and temporal correlation between drought and wild fires, but there is no randomness since every major fire in recent years is human caused. Cutting down trees which are dead from beetle or moth kill is a great idea, but I would argue that thinning out forest to the point it prohibits fires would be counter productive since peope will still go where they feel immersed in nature.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:25 AM

5,104 posts, read 6,842,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
Its more complex than thinning out our forest as a mitigation technique. There is a direct spatial and temporal correlation between drought and wild fires, but there is no randomness since every major fire in recent years is human caused. Cutting down trees which are dead from beetle or moth kill is a great idea, but I would argue that thinning out forest to the point it prohibits fires would be counter productive since peope will still go where they feel immersed in nature.
Well, and the trees themselves are part of a natural ecosystem that is what makes Colorado Colorado and other flora and fauna depend upon. Restoring to its natural state would be good, but going further than that not so much. A healthy forest system is actually a severe fire mitigator in and of itself and good for the environment on the whole - trees remove some forms of pollution from out atmosphere, etc.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:38 AM

888 posts, read 941,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I wonder why the people in "hip" Denver are not trying to tear down the power plant near Mile High Stadium next to I-25.

It must be affecting someone's "special" views (!).
Probably since it's already shut down. The steam unit is the only thing left there that's generating.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:05 PM

10,407 posts, read 6,580,620 times
Completely ridiculous wish: That we not only had easy access to the beautiful mountains, but also the ocean and warm beaches. (Sorry...I just miss the Carolina beaches I grew up going to.)

More realistic/possible wishes:

1. That we had a top-notch public transit system. I have lived in cities where you really didn't need a car, including Cincinnati where it's all metro bus (no subway) but it's good enough to get you by pretty well all over town. I know so many young people these days who for some reason just aren't all that motivated to drive and I think better public transit would be good for them.

2. If not that, or in addition to that, I wish the public high schools taught driver's ed. I don't know if any of them do in this area, but Widefield didn't, nor did Coronado. When I was a kid, it was taught to high schoolers. Did that change nationwide or was it not ever a thing here? I don't know.

3. I hear they're tearing down Elitch Gardens in a couple years or so, and putting up high rise apartments there, and that there is a plan to consider moving the park somewhere else (unannounced where that might be.) I wish they'd put up a big, bad amusement park, the kind with loads of room to expand and the kind of coasters that aficionados travel to ride, out on the plains somewhere between here and Denver. It should be at least as good as King's Dominion (VA) or King's Island (OH) to fulfill this wish of mine.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:33 PM

745 posts, read 387,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Completely ridiculous wish: That we not only had easy access to the beautiful mountains, but also the ocean and warm beaches. (Sorry...I just miss the Carolina beaches I grew up going to.
Move to L.A. ?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 PM

5,104 posts, read 6,842,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

2. If not that, or in addition to that, I wish the public high schools taught driver's ed. I don't know if any of them do in this area, but Widefield didn't, nor did Coronado. When I was a kid, it was taught to high schoolers. Did that change nationwide or was it not ever a thing here? I don't know.
They used to - at least through the early 90s. I took driver's ed at Widefield. I am not sure what happened - insurance, liability, or what - but schools all over the state have dropped driver's ed. There are only a handful left in the whole state who offer it. (List linked below of all approved providers in the state of Colorado). Too bad.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...OSTschools.pdf

Old 01-04-2019, 05:20 AM

4,501 posts, read 4,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
They used to - at least through the early 90s. I took driver's ed at Widefield. I am not sure what happened - insurance, liability, or what - but schools all over the state have dropped driver's ed. There are only a handful left in the whole state who offer it. (List linked below of all approved providers in the state of Colorado). Too bad.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...OSTschools.pdf
I put all 3 of my kids through Master Drive. They did an excellent job teaching driving skills

https://www.masterdrive.com/colorado-springs/

High schools don't have the resources to competently teach driving skills. I doubt that the taxpayers would support the additional taxes needed to supply the resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or