Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:41 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I moved from San Diego to Orlando last year, then ended up back in San Diego, where we are now. I love warm weather and generally HATE cold weather, BUT the constant warm conditions in Orlando left me wanting more variety. We may not stay in San Diego and are considering places to move to. What I am looking for:
  • Natural Beauty
  • Relative Isolation (compared to San Diego/California)
  • open space
  • a nearby lake or river I can SUP on

Florida in general would have been great in terms of how much water is there, but Orlando was mostly just nasty lakes that you couldn't swim in. If we'd been by the coast I might have enjoyed it more. I really need to be near a body of water because I really love the water. I don't necessarily need to be IN the water, but I like to be ON the water, whether that's SUPing or boating, or whatever. I like to surf in San Diego, but obviously no surf in Colorado Springs. Are there any lakes nearby that I could get my water fix? What are they like in the summer? Do they warm up enough so you can get in?

I think I could deal with the cold. It wouldn't be my favorite, but Colorado seems like a nice blend of what California has (natural beauty) and more space. Plus I'm sure my dog would love the colder weather (compared to Orlando). We mostly like San Diego, they weather can't be beat, but it has just gotten so damn crowded and even though we can afford it, we don't like the idea of spending half a million on a fixer upper. Jobs are not an issue for us as I work remote and she can probably go remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 06:48 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Short version: Colorado isn't for you. Lakes are too few and too cold for swimming. It was -28F in parts of the state last week.

Where to: I suggest Texas gulf coast, waterfront at affordable prices. Warm water, some aspect of 4 seasons. If you want more of the 4 season thing try the Ozarks where there are lots of lakes and reservoirs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Short version: Colorado isn't for you. Lakes are too few and too cold for swimming. It was -28F in parts of the state last week.

Where to: I suggest Texas gulf coast, waterfront at affordable prices. Warm water, some aspect of 4 seasons. If you want more of the 4 season thing try the Ozarks where there are lots of lakes and reservoirs.
I tend to shy away from the south because much of it has gators (I think?). Southern bodies of water just seem way too dangerous, filled with too many things that want to kill me. I'll look into the Ozarks. For some reason, I just hate the idea of Texas. Nothing against the people, it just seems hot and flat. I can't do flat. I have been spoiled by San Diego's perfect weather, so anything is going to take an adjustment. I tried mostly warm (Orlando) and I didn't love the fact that it was warm all. the. time. So I'm thinking I may rather be on the colder side. Colorado is so beautiful too.

I may be able to do with the extreme cold (at times), although I'd be taking a big gamble moving there just to find out I hate it. I was reading some of the threads here that said sometimes in February you can have a 60 degree day. I think I'd be ok with winters where you get plenty of sun, and an occasional, slightly warmer day. Like I said I don't necessarily need to be IN the water, so much as ON the water and I figure in the summer, that could be possible?

Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times
Northern Arizona?

Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Northern Arizona?
I thought about that, or Northern NM. I guess maybe I have to start thinking slightly more south.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Hello,

My wife and I moved from San Diego to Orlando last year, then ended up back in San Diego, where we are now. I love warm weather and generally HATE cold weather, BUT the constant warm conditions in Orlando left me wanting more variety. We may not stay in San Diego and are considering places to move to. What I am looking for:
  • Natural Beauty
  • Relative Isolation (compared to San Diego/California)
  • open space
  • a nearby lake or river I can SUP on

Florida in general would have been great in terms of how much water is there, but Orlando was mostly just nasty lakes that you couldn't swim in. If we'd been by the coast I might have enjoyed it more. I really need to be near a body of water because I really love the water. I don't necessarily need to be IN the water, but I like to be ON the water, whether that's SUPing or boating, or whatever. I like to surf in San Diego, but obviously no surf in Colorado Springs. Are there any lakes nearby that I could get my water fix? What are they like in the summer? Do they warm up enough so you can get in?

I think I could deal with the cold. It wouldn't be my favorite, but Colorado seems like a nice blend of what California has (natural beauty) and more space. Plus I'm sure my dog would love the colder weather (compared to Orlando). We mostly like San Diego, they weather can't be beat, but it has just gotten so damn crowded and even though we can afford it, we don't like the idea of spending half a million on a fixer upper. Jobs are not an issue for us as I work remote and she can probably go remote.
If you're from somewhere with lots of lakes, creeks, shorelines, etc., then Colorado can be a bit of an adjustment. Being from New England, I missed water when I moved here, and sometimes I still do wish there were lakes to jump in ... but for me the mountains more than make up for the lack of abundant water. Now ... we do have reservoirs nearby - Pueblo, Eleven Mile and a few others I can't think of right now. Oh yeah, Spinney. A Google search will tell you about them.

Hot springs are a nice way to spend the day in water, if you like that sort of thing. There are plenty of beautiful hikes that follow nice creeks and rivers that you may be able to dip your toes in (very carefully because they're usually cold).

As others suggested ... perhaps Colorado wouldn't work for you. That said, if you can spend a little time looking around this area, that may help you make your decision.

Last edited by mtngigi; 01-07-2019 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 01-07-2019, 04:40 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
San Diego climate without the crowds or expense?

Try New Zealand.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
San Diego climate without the crowds or expense?

Try New Zealand.
I'm sure it's beautiful there. A bit far from family though

Old 01-07-2019, 10:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Natural Beauty - we have that.
Relative Isolation (compared to San Diego/California) - Uhh, we have that, I think. I'm not sure how isolated San Diego is.
open - space 10% of city parks are wildland interface and we have Pike National Forest all along our western edge.
a nearby lake or river I can SUP on - we have a couple local places for SUP

I will dissent with others and say that SUP is possible in Colo Spgs depending on your expectations. SUP is not an on purpose water contact sport like tubing or skiing that put you in the water regularly, so temp is not a huge concern. A good SUPer will never enter the water except for their feet. So, within the city, Prospect lake, SE of downtown, and Quail Lake, south of downtown, are both local lakes that have SUP capabilities (thre is even a company on them that rents SUPs). So you can drive 10 minutes across town, get your SUP fix and move on with your day.

If you expect a constant variety of lakes to SUP on, then you may not dig the place and you will be driving. Nearly any lake, or reservoir as most our water is, will support SUP, kayaking, and paddle boards, even if motorized raft are prohibited. So as your range of driving increases, so to do your opportunities for SUP. I would, however, not recommend SUP for most of our rivers unless you are out on the plains where the elevation flattens out, or within a valley where similar flattness allows the speed to slow down.

As far as temps go, yea, things do tend to be cooler, depending on where you are at. The mountain lakes will be upper 50s to lower 60s t eh peak of summer. Definetly cool, but not frigid. I've been water skiing and tbuing on Turquoise Lake outside of Leadville at 9500+ ft. Temps were tolerable, but you didn't want to sit in the water for too long, but you could get in it. Going out on the plains, places like John Martin and Sterling will actually hit mid to upper 70s. Along the Front range, temps will be mid to upper 60s.

Last edited by TCHP; 01-07-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 11:45 AM

96 posts, read 80,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I thought about that, or Northern NM. I guess maybe I have to start thinking slightly more south.

How about Farmington, NM? You have Navajo Lake to the east, and over by Cortez, CO, you have Mcphee Reservoir. There are some lakes to the north around Durango, CO; they are colder, but very beautiful and scenic. Farmington has everything one needs. And best of all, it is centrally located. Colorado mountains to the north; Monument Valley, Four Corners, and canyon country to the west (heck, you can even get to Lake Powell in a reasonable amount of time); Navajo country to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs