U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:39 AM

5,144 posts, read 6,915,070 times

Advertisements

This kind of got started in another thread, so I thought it could be fun to have a thread that talks about movies and TV shows or other popular culture things - maybe video games, books,etc.? that take place in or refer to Colorado Springs or other nearby areas - and what they get right or wrong. I think we may have had this discussion previously but I didn't dig up the old thread.

Mentioned in the other thread so far -

1. Homicide Hunter TV show - true stories of a former police detective and his career cases in Colorado Springs. Some scene shots are from modern-day Colorado Springs, but most of the show is filmed somewhere in the south. They do drop real Colorado Springs street references and the crimes/incidents did happen, but back in the 70s to 90s.

2. The Prestige - Nikola Tesla's time here is a bit of the story - looks nothing like here, of course.

3. Stargate @NORAD here - not very realistic.

I'll add:

Wargames taking place at NORAD here. Not a realistic depiction of course. But I loved that movie!

There was a portion of Fast 7 filmed on the Aspen Valley Ranch property in Woodland Park - I haven't seen this one yet though.

Fast Food Nation was placed here but named changed to Cody or something - haven't seen it, either.

Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman - not like here much at all

South Park - Man Big Pig episode at Cave of the Winds - got it exactly right! lol

Dog the Bounty Hunter some of the episodes took place here

L. Ron Hubbard's book Battlefield Earth uses the Air Force Academy as a key location for the human resistance.

Charles Schulz lived here.

America the Beautiful inspired by Pikes Peak, as written by Katherine Lee Bates

Lon Chaney born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 AM

6,322 posts, read 9,798,602 times
You forgot Cassandra Peterson aka Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Grew up in the Springs and is a Palmer High grad - Class of 1969.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 PM

615 posts, read 285,519 times
BlacKkKlansman https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/
Takes place in the Springs and its a true story. There are some shots of the city and Garden of the Gods, but you can tell its filmed elsewhere.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:10 PM

4,083 posts, read 1,637,706 times
In one of the Stargate episodes one of the main characters claims Colorado Springs has no zoo lol. While I love Stargate they really didn't do much research about the area or even film in it. I think Stargate was mostly filmed in Canada.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:40 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,866,907 times
Ice Castles - filmed at the old Broadmoor World arena and surrounding area. I haven't seen it in decades but recall it was reasonably accurate for the time. Cheyenne Mtn High School still will work on special schedules for skaters so they can train and still complete high school. Rachel Flatt was the most recent benefactor of this program.

Perry Mason: The Case of the Sinister Spirit was filmed in town and featured several shots of the Broadmoor and the old El Paso County Courthouse that now houses the Pioneers Museum.

Fast 7 also had a series of shots that were done on Pikes Peak, Monarch Pass, and the Aspen Valley ranch mentioned above. They were all cut together into the same action sequence. Those familiar with the locales can easily identify the differences, but to the general audience, they won't know any better.

Strangeland was written, produced,and stars Twisted Sister glam metal singer Dee Schneider and was filmed entirely in Colo Spgs and Denver and one of the Wood Avenue mansions figures prominently in it.

Norad of course has provided reference or basic exterior and interior shots to any number of movies.

Our Souls At Night, a fairly recent addition to this list had some sequences and local extras that were filmed on the west side of Colo Spgs and in Florence CO.

A few I'd like to see but haven't got around to : One Minute to Zero(Korean war training at Ft Carson), The Lawyer (A Dr accused of murder filmed throughout the city), The Incident (A Dr is murdered at an army base filmed throughout the city), and Deterrance (president stuck in a snow storm in Cos during a nuclear threat).

Old 12-26-2018, 01:15 PM

615 posts, read 285,519 times
All movies with a Springs location.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?lo...f_=ttloc_loc_1

Old 12-26-2018, 03:03 PM

853 posts, read 1,278,673 times
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives went to Spice Island Grill and Front Range BBQ.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:05 PM

462 posts, read 220,282 times
Definitely rent the movie "Cop Car" with Kevin Bacon- filmed in the Security/Widefield area a few years ago and a friend of mine let the director use his house for a couple of scenes.

Good movie!

Old 12-26-2018, 04:11 PM

20,591 posts, read 38,419,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives went to Spice Island Grill and Front Range BBQ.
And IIRC another foodie show went to the King's Chef Diner which I've never been to because I do not like huge portions of food.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM

5,144 posts, read 6,915,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
And IIRC another foodie show went to the King's Chef Diner which I've never been to because I do not like huge portions of food.
And I remember Gordon Ramsay going to some place up in Woodland Park, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or