U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 1,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ienblack View Post
I am also from dallas, Moved to the Springs 2 years ago.... I would just advise that you know what your getting into, Colorado Springs is a VERY small feeling town, and a very conservative one at that.... Dallas is a Metropolitan city with everything at your fingertips... Even though there are pluses like weather, I regret moving here, just want to make sure you don't as well.
Good luck!
What exactly do you regret? Me and my fiancť are very outdoorsy and one of our reasons for wanting to go is all the beautiful hiking. We donít go to clubs or bars or anything like that. Literally all we do is work all week and come our 2 off days we grocery shop and go running. Thatís all we do lol. Other than the small town feel, is there anything else you wish you knew before moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Status: "And now for something completely different." (set 22 days ago)

6,245 posts, read 9,651,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley4288 View Post
What exactly do you regret? Me and my fiancť are very outdoorsy and one of our reasons for wanting to go is all the beautiful hiking. We don’t go to clubs or bars or anything like that. Literally all we do is work all week and come our 2 off days we grocery shop and go running. That’s all we do lol. Other than the small town feel, is there anything else you wish you knew before moving?
Honestly if you're really into the outdoors and can handle the occasional trip to Denver to find the big city amenities the Springs lacks, you'll be fine. There's not much that Dallas has that can't be found somewhere in Denver. You simply cannot find the quality of hiking you can find within a 30-minute drive of the Springs within 200 miles of DFW. It doesn't exist. Other than grimy lakes, DFW is a miserable place to live for someone who's outdoorsy.

There's another poster who moved from DFW to the Springs (Wittgenstein's Ghost). He/she raves about being able to bike to work and hit the foothills often.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 260 times
I agree with the other poster, if you are a BIG outdoorsy person you may love it here.. For me, I'm an occasional hiker, and there's nothing other than outdoors activities here. I'm big into finding new restaurants, independent movie theaters, shopping, being able to walk to coffee shops, shops, bars none of this really exists here. I also enjoy architecture and stuff like that, so it's been a bad fit for me... also one thing you will want to keep in mind is the Colorado springs airport is a total dud... you will most likely have to drive an hour thirty to Denver every time you want to take a direct flight somewhere... maybe fine with most people but for me that's a pretty big draw back. Cell phone service and internet here are also abysmal... just some small annoyances to consider.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:15 PM

728 posts, read 378,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ienblack View Post
I am also from dallas, Moved to the Springs 2 years ago.... I would just advise that you know what your getting into, Colorado Springs is a VERY small feeling town, and a very conservative one at that.... Dallas is a Metropolitan city with everything at your fingertips... Even though there are pluses like weather, I regret moving here, just want to make sure you don't as well.
Good luck!
To the O.P. - unlike ienblack, I do not find Colorado Springs small feeling or conservative. Unless you want to be living downtown among skyscrapers, youíre fine here. I would consider parts of town very liberal.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,661,520 times
I won't say I regret moving here from TX after two plus years but there are some things I still haven't quite gotten used to:

Small town mindset
Mostly chain restaurants
Corporate groceries (ie no independents like HEB)
Driving to Denver for airport
A lot of ugly residential architecture
Weird commercial development (like someone put the strip centers in a glass and shook them out); odd entrances and exits
Very visible vagrant population
Other than the mountains, a very dry brown plains landscape much of the year

It may be perfect for you though.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:59 PM

205 posts, read 95,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I won't say I regret moving here from TX after two plus years but there are some things I still haven't quite gotten used to:

Small town mindset
Mostly chain restaurants
Weird commercial development (like someone put the strip centers in a glass and shook them out); odd entrances and exits

I agree!! I like it here and I'm from Dallas but sometimes I feel like something is missing here and I don't know what. High altitude? I've thought about moving back to TX but don't know if I will. It seems like sometimes its hard to get a high paying job here too. They are out there here but not as plentiful as DFW. It's also quite crowded at times for a city this size.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:50 PM

5,087 posts, read 6,817,839 times
Quote:
I
Depending on where you are going, this is often not necessary unless one has a lot of limitations in schedule. The price one typically pays for parking or a ride to the airport is comparable or exceeds the difference in fairs for flying out of the Springs in many cases. Flying out of the Springs saves hours in transportation time, unless the connections you find make up the difference in lay-overs. Through years of flying I've learned the convenience of flying out of the Springs is well worth some of the trade-offs.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:48 PM

579 posts, read 639,289 times
I don't travel often, but I'd basically never consider flying out of DEN. The extra time and cost it takes to get there just isn't worth it. United, American, and Delta all connect to COS from their hubs so it's almost always possible to get where you're going with just one change. Plus the COS airport is a nice size, not so big that you can't walk to the terminal even from the long-term parking lot.

I think people who complain about missing independent restaurants/coffee shops, walkable neighborhoods, etc ought to spend more time in Old Colorado City instead of the strip-mall-land on the north and east sides of town.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM

20,473 posts, read 38,165,951 times
For me, on the far north end of the city (Pine Creek), it was a 30-minute drive to the COS airport parking lot and a 70-minute drive to the lots at DIA. I always flew out of DIA for the 8-10 times we flew in 11 years of living in COLO SPGS. My pals who worked for DOD always flew in/out of COS on defense work but with uncle sam paying the tab I'd do that too. Our flights always were much cheaper out of DIA and many of our flights were non-stops to NYC, IAD, BAL, SEA, etc. On a few flights we changed planes in CHI which I didn't mind as I loved flying over the massive railroad yards...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:01 PM

728 posts, read 378,964 times
Quote:

Small town mindset
Mostly chain restaurants

Odd, I donít notice any of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or