U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 9,592 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to CoSprings in the spring, and I've been looking at different neighborhoods online. Of course, we'll look in person before buying but I was hoping for a little advice to help narrow the search. My husband will be working for FedEx, near the Air Force Academy.
We are seeing a lot online about the Meridian Ranch neighborhood, but I'm concerned it may be too far out. Realistically speaking, how long of a drive is it into CoS? How is traffic in that direction?
Are there other neighborhoods you would recommend? What we are looking for is - safe, family friendly, 4-5 bedroom, no more than 20 minute drive to shopping & activities, max budget of around $375k.

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:50 AM

4,462 posts, read 4,508,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstarr View Post
My family will be moving to CoSprings in the spring, and I've been looking at different neighborhoods online. Of course, we'll look in person before buying but I was hoping for a little advice to help narrow the search. My husband will be working for FedEx, near the Air Force Academy.
We are seeing a lot online about the Meridian Ranch neighborhood, but I'm concerned it may be too far out. Realistically speaking, how long of a drive is it into CoS? How is traffic in that direction?
Are there other neighborhoods you would recommend? What we are looking for is - safe, family friendly, 4-5 bedroom, no more than 20 minute drive to shopping & activities, max budget of around $375k.

Thank you for the help!
Meridian Ranch would be about a 30 minute commute to the Air Force Academy IF the weather is good.

If you move out there the biggest two detriments are windier weather and longer driving times. However, the biggest advantage is a newer house at your preferred price point.

You choose.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

728 posts, read 378,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Meridian Ranch would be about a 30 minute commute to the Air Force Academy IF the weather is good.

If you move out there the biggest two detriments are windier weather and longer driving times. However, the biggest advantage is a newer house at your preferred price point.

You choose.
30 minutes might be optimistic. It is a nice new area with basic shopping needs, and close enough to all the shopping on Powers.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

20,472 posts, read 38,160,852 times
The FEDEX campus is at Voyager Pkwy and North Gate. FEDEX moved most of its data center there from Memphis as the cost of cooling all those computers was vastly cheaper in COLO SPGS than in hot humid Memphis. Wal-Mart did the same thing, about 2 miles south on Voyager Pkwy just off of Federal Drive.

There's plenty of decent housing near FEDEX at your price point. Just look at www.realtor.com and look around the area. It's all good in that area and good schools in D20 (Academy district) and D38 (Lewis Palmer district). I looked on the website and there are a ton of homes still available in your price range.

Agree that it's windier out there as the wind comes down off the mountains they can really get rolling the further east you go. Traffic coming in Woodmen will be busy. Best shopping is along the Powers Blvd corridor. One of my fave areas is Briargate area, zip 80920. I'd avoid living within a mile of Powers so you can limit the highway noise you have to listen to.

Be sure to get a house with a garage and use it, especially in summer when hailstorms can wreck a car or truck left out in the open. Hail is big deal in COLO SPGS, we replaced the roof twice within six years. The second time we did that we put on the heavy-duty hail resistant 50-year shingles and it only cost about $1200 extra, about $12k total. If you can find a home with the heavy duty shingles that's a plus.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old Today, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 9,592 times
Yes, we were at the FedEx headquarters in Memphis for 10 years, and the heat was brutal.

Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it!

Old Today, 01:54 PM

728 posts, read 378,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The FEDEX campus is at Voyager Pkwy and North Gate. FEDEX moved most of its data center there from Memphis as the cost of cooling all those computers was vastly cheaper in COLO SPGS than in hot humid Memphis. Wal-Mart did the same thing, about 2 miles south on Voyager Pkwy just off of Federal Drive.

There's plenty of decent housing near FEDEX at your price point. Just look at www.realtor.com and look around the area. It's all good in that area and good schools in D20 (Academy district) and D38 (Lewis Palmer district). I looked on the website and there are a ton of homes still available in your price range.

Agree that it's windier out there as the wind comes down off the mountains they can really get rolling the further east you go. Traffic coming in Woodmen will be busy. Best shopping is along the Powers Blvd corridor. One of my fave areas is Briargate area, zip 80920. I'd avoid living within a mile of Powers so you can limit the highway noise you have to listen to.

Be sure to get a house with a garage and use it, especially in summer when hailstorms can wreck a car or truck left out in the open. Hail is big deal in COLO SPGS, we replaced the roof twice within six years. The second time we did that we put on the heavy-duty hail resistant 50-year shingles and it only cost about $1200 extra, about $12k total. If you can find a home with the heavy duty shingles that's a plus.
Mike; you didnít really mean to say stay a mile away from Powers? Itís only 2-3 miles between Powers and I-25. Stay a mile away from both wipes out most homes in That area.

Old Today, 03:20 PM

20,472 posts, read 38,160,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Mike; you didnít really mean to say stay a mile away from Powers? Itís only 2-3 miles between Powers and I-25. Stay a mile away from both wipes out most homes in That area.
If one can stay a mile from major highways it really limits the noise. We had a rental up on Struthers for six months as our house was built and it was way too close to I-25; nothing like hearing semi trucks and loud motorcycles while trying to sleep with the windows open. My house in COLO SPGS backed up to Powers, about a 1/4 mile at the most, and the noise was so constant that we never opened the windows and never used the deck. Powers will only get busier as the years go by, so my advice is get away from major routes.

For MSTARR, I've toured the FEDEX Memphis hub at night when the planes were coming in and millions of packages sorted and sent back out; it's an amazing sight to see thousands of people doing their thing. The climate in COLO SPGS is both cool and dry which allows FEDEX (and Wal-Mart and other data centers) to save a fortune on cooling costs. If I can find some old postings on that I'll bring them forward.

IMO you're going to love COLO SPGS.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or