U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 06:38 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,541,732 times

Advertisements

https://www.krdo.com/news/potential-...-i25/965521138

"Did you know that the average commuter wastes about a week a year sitting in traffic? That’s where Jill Gaebler comes into play. Gaebler is a City Council President Pro-Tem here in Colorado Springs who wants to help fix the commuter problem in Southern Colorado.

“A mode of travel that is consistent, reliable and scalable, and passenger rail is that mode of transportation,” said Gaebler.

The commission is moving quickly to start progress on the new train, as they are about to hire an executive director.

Gaebler said, ”and that executive director will go on and hire a consultant that will be charged with having conversations along the front range and various municipalities and jurisdictions."

However, there is a caveat Gaebler tells me it's something that we might have to pay for ourselves. But, Gaebler said the new railway would make the most sense fiscally.

“Although spending half a billion dollars to add another lane on I-25, that is not going to solve our congestion problems and colorado springs as the second largest city really needs to have consistent and reliable transportation.""

I would like to have a train stretched along the front range from Pueblo to Fort Collins.

But I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime. The issue is cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 AM

4,408 posts, read 2,887,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I would like to have a train stretched along the front range from Pueblo to Fort Collins.

Isn't that always the case with regards to rail/highway construction though, it comes down to money!

We probably have some of the best and brightest engineers in the world, here in the US, and if someone really wanted to build a bullet train under the Rocky Mountains from Denver to Las Vegas to Los Angeles, they could come up with a great design, no problem, there just isn't the funding.

Doesn't Utah have something on a smaller scale with the FrontRunner commuter rail going from Ogden to Provo along the Wasatch Front. Having a commuter line from Pueblo to Fort Collins, should be doable.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 AM

3,993 posts, read 1,585,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://www.krdo.com/news/potential-...-i25/965521138

"Did you know that the average commuter wastes about a week a year sitting in traffic? That’s where Jill Gaebler comes into play. Gaebler is a City Council President Pro-Tem here in Colorado Springs who wants to help fix the commuter problem in Southern Colorado.

“A mode of travel that is consistent, reliable and scalable, and passenger rail is that mode of transportation,” said Gaebler.

The commission is moving quickly to start progress on the new train, as they are about to hire an executive director.

Gaebler said, ”and that executive director will go on and hire a consultant that will be charged with having conversations along the front range and various municipalities and jurisdictions."

However, there is a caveat Gaebler tells me it's something that we might have to pay for ourselves. But, Gaebler said the new railway would make the most sense fiscally.

“Although spending half a billion dollars to add another lane on I-25, that is not going to solve our congestion problems and colorado springs as the second largest city really needs to have consistent and reliable transportation.""

I'd happily pay more in tax to take a train. Sitting in traffic besides being annoying is inefficient and a waste of time. I think a high speed train would easily make a profit as most people want to simply get to point A as quickly as possible. It would also be good for the auto enthusiasts less traffic for them.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM

5,104 posts, read 6,846,372 times
There have been so many of these ideas floated - the superhighway east of the Front Range, rail lines, the hyperloop thing - for decades. Maybe some day one of them will really happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:33 PM

2,827 posts, read 1,812,299 times
Big issue with high speed rail to be effective is a minimal amount of stops. That would mean maybe one in Pueblo, two in COS, one is Castle Rock and several in Denver. These would need near to are easily accessible to other commuter systems in other areas to be effective.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:30 PM

747 posts, read 389,098 times
Don’t understand mass transit. Unless your home and your work are both minutes from a station, you might as well drive.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 AM

3,993 posts, read 1,585,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Don’t understand mass transit. Unless your home and your work are both minutes from a station, you might as well drive.
In the Springs this is true public transit is less convenient than driving. However on longer trips especially if heavy traffic is a problem a high speed train would be faster and way more efficient. Not to mention even if you really love driving giving people more options to travel would take cars off the road its a win win.

Old Today, 01:54 AM

2,876 posts, read 7,164,452 times
I would support this 100%, especially if it went all the way to DIA. I would rather pull my fingernails out with pliers than drive back and forth from the the springs to the Denver airport. Bonus points if the train has TV and free WiFi.

Old Today, 03:19 PM

20,518 posts, read 38,236,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I would support this 100%, especially if it went all the way to DIA. I would rather pull my fingernails out with pliers than drive back and forth from the the springs to the Denver airport. Bonus points if the train has TV and free WiFi.
I got dibs on a window seat in the bar car....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old Today, 05:22 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,611,604 times
A industry expert could probably give a reasonably close cost estimate immediately. But they'll probably spend a year or two trying to get people & politicians excited and bury the cost estimate for as long as possible. I tend to favor public transit but also honesty and transparency about costs.

Until they provide fiscal estimate and timetable I'll assume it will cost billions with some large local share for south of Denver communities. Probably thousands per person to repay bonds & interest over 30 plus years. Denver officials may or may not be willing to pitch in. I assume the likely timetable to operational would be 7 years if everything went as smooth as possible. Probably longer. Maybe a lot longer with it perhaps happening on 2nd or 3rd try from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or