U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 AM

46 posts, read 22,166 times

Advertisements

To be fair in 2018 we only recorded 10", although the most recorded was just over 27. It fringes on desert.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:27 AM

102 posts, read 99,023 times
I apologize (no need to get your panties in a twist) I had heard that somewhere and was just surmising...After living in WA/MI it's pretty dry here...that's all

Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM

4,202 posts, read 1,647,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorDark1031 View Post
I really love the rain, clouds, fog, etc., and I don't really like sunny days that much.
Sounds more like the PNW, at least non-summer.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:23 PM

3,990 posts, read 1,581,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorDark1031 View Post
I am thinking of posiibly going to college in Colorado Springs. I just want to know what the weather is actually like.

I really love the rain, clouds, fog, etc., and I don't really like sunny days that much.

I've been researching plenty, but statistics don't really give an idea of what it's like to actually live somewhere.

I just want to get a general idea of what to expect as far as weather goes.
Colorado is quite dry pretty much a desert climate.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM

20,513 posts, read 38,220,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Colorado is quite dry pretty much a desert climate.
Officially the city is classified as "Alpine Desert" and/or "High Desert" (and not because of MJ sales). Anyone wanting foggy, damp, cloudy and rainy belongs elsewhere. I've seen it go months without rain in COLO SPGS.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:03 PM

3,990 posts, read 1,581,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Officially the city is classified as "Alpine Desert" and/or "High Desert" (and not because of MJ sales). Anyone wanting foggy, damp, cloudy and rainy belongs elsewhere. I've seen it go months without rain in COLO SPGS.
Sometimes we get lucky with a few back to back days of clouds and rain usually in the spring or summer but for the most part the city is pretty dry.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:08 PM

8,363 posts, read 13,061,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Where are you coming from? Mike says very little rain but he’s from back east. Compared to SoCal, AZ, NM, Nev, there is a lot of rain here.
I don't think it really matters - for someone who "doesn't really like sunny days that much", and prefers rain, clouds, and fog, Colorado is not the right place. Colorado Springs has an average of 243 sunny days per year (69%). Desert states might get more, but I think it's probably not all that noticeable of a difference.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:17 PM

158 posts, read 119,346 times
I think people here are kind of failing to mention that every year can be completely different in Colorado Springs. The weather pattern here is not always consistent, at least in the past 10 years (I've been here since 2008). Don't be fooled by the people who are saying this place is always sunny. Yes, there are months and even years when it seems to be sunny every day, but there has also been cycles when it is overcast and gloomy for months at a time. In fact, my cousin left here about 12 years ago, and his exact reason when I asked him was that he "couldn't stand another gray, gloomy day".

Of course, the gray overcast does not compare to living on the coast or near the bay area (we don't get thick fog like they do for long periods of time). But, don't go expecting the sun to be shining all the time, either. People living here the last couple years have "lucked out" with all this sun (we actually need rain/snow right now), but that pattern cannot last forever.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM

587 posts, read 690,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
I think people here are kind of failing to mention that every year can be completely different in Colorado Springs. The weather pattern here is not always consistent, at least in the past 10 years (I've been here since 2008). Don't be fooled by the people who are saying this place is always sunny. Yes, there are months and even years when it seems to be sunny every day, but there has also been cycles when it is overcast and gloomy for months at a time. In fact, my cousin left here about 12 years ago, and his exact reason when I asked him was that he "couldn't stand another gray, gloomy day".

Of course, the gray overcast does not compare to living on the coast or near the bay area (we don't get thick fog like they do for long periods of time). But, don't go expecting the sun to be shining all the time, either. People living here the last couple years have "lucked out" with all this sun (we actually need rain/snow right now), but that pattern cannot last forever.
I have lived here all my life, 47 years, and I can’t remember any “cycles when it is overcast and gloomy for months at a time.”

We definitely have had wetter years, the summer of 1990 was very wet and cold, I think we had about two straight weeks of mostly overcast days that summer in June and then on again off again partly cloudy days throughout all of August. And in 1994 the first half of June was cold and drizzling, I remember freezing my butt off watching my little brother at his high school graduation from the metal stands at Gary Berry stadium.

We definitely get some years with gloomy days where we have grey skies consistently for a week or so and it may feel like “months at a time” because we are pretty unaccustomed to it. Usually even during wetter years the sun peaks out for part of the day. I don’t think anyone is saying it’s always sunny, just that it’s typically quite sunny and someone who doesn’t like the sun and is looking for fog will be very disappointed.

Perhaps another long time or lifelong resident can chime in if they remember years in Colorado Springs of gloomy weather for months at a time. I am not trying to argue with you, I just don’t recall months of gloom, but maybe I blocked it out.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:13 PM

158 posts, read 119,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
I have lived here all my life, 47 years, and I can’t remember any “cycles when it is overcast and gloomy for months at a time.”

We definitely have had wetter years, the summer of 1990 was very wet and cold, I think we had about two straight weeks of mostly overcast days that summer in June and then on again off again partly cloudy days throughout all of August. And in 1994 the first half of June was cold and drizzling, I remember freezing my butt off watching my little brother at his high school graduation from the metal stands at Gary Berry stadium.

We definitely get some years with gloomy days where we have grey skies consistently for a week or so and it may feel like “months at a time” because we are pretty unaccustomed to it. Usually even during wetter years the sun peaks out for part of the day. I don’t think anyone is saying it’s always sunny, just that it’s typically quite sunny and someone who doesn’t like the sun and is looking for fog will be very disappointed.

Perhaps another long time or lifelong resident can chime in if they remember years in Colorado Springs of gloomy weather for months at a time. I am not trying to argue with you, I just don’t recall months of gloom, but maybe I blocked it out.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I do remember decent periods of overcast, and I am NOT unaccustomed to gray and gloom. I am from the coast where fog can cover the city for the entire Summer (not exaggerating). I think people just forget about it here because we have more sunny months than we do gloomy months. A good example I can think of was 2015, with the record rainfall we got in May. That year brought overcast for most of April, May and part of June (there were a lot of storms). Of course, I am not saying it was overcast 100% of the time those months. Obviously the sun came out on occasion, but I am just saying there have been months like those with gray more often than sun.

Please note that I am not saying this area does not get a lot of sun (it certainly does). I am just saying there have been cycles of storms, rain, gloom, snow, and yes - droughts with none of that which bring lots of fires. We have seen it all. That's my point here.

Oh, and I also have friends who have lived here since the early 90s, and they also understand that some winters can be bitter and gloomy. This probably would not bother people from Alaska or something, but I just want to warn newcomers to expect it all, rather than blindly believing those articles that make you think we have sun every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or