U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

852 posts, read 1,269,791 times

Advertisements

I vividly remember one time about six or seven years ago that we did not have any sun for four days. By day #4, (I'm a teacher) my students and co-workers were snappy, upset, and there was a sense of sadness. It's cause we are used to seeing the sun at least once a day; it's rare that we get *no* sun for the entire day for days. It reminded me of this short film/short story about a colony on Venus that got to see the sun once a year or ten years (I can't remember) and these girls locked a girl they didn't like in a bathroom so she didn't see the sun.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

33,326 posts, read 30,669,783 times
I was always getting bloody noses from the high dry altitude of CO.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

587 posts, read 690,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
It reminded me of this short film/short story about a colony on Venus that got to see the sun once a year or ten years (I can't remember) and these girls locked a girl they didn't like in a bathroom so she didn't see the sun.
I remember that story too, I think it may be a Ray Bradbury short story.

Old Today, 10:20 AM

8,363 posts, read 13,061,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
I think people here are kind of failing to mention that every year can be completely different in Colorado Springs. The weather pattern here is not always consistent, at least in the past 10 years (I've been here since 2008).
This is true - the first summer I arrived here (2014) there were massive thunderstorms every (okay, almost every) afternoon/evening throughout August (though the rest of the day was sunny). That hasn't really happened again since. Still get thunderstorms, of course, but not almost everyday, same time of day, for the whole month. And then of course some winters are snowier than others, etc.

But if I had to pick one attribute that was the most consistent in general, it would be the sunniness.

Quote:
Don't be fooled by the people who are saying this place is always sunny. Yes, there are months and even years when it seems to be sunny every day, but there has also been cycles when it is overcast and gloomy for months at a time. In fact, my cousin left here about 12 years ago, and his exact reason when I asked him was that he "couldn't stand another gray, gloomy day".
You say this was about 12 years ago - I looked at wunderground's historical calendar for 2007, and there does appear to have been a lot of snow or rain that year, during April to August. In May in particular, there were only 6 days that were mostly sunny or partly cloudy, and no days at all that were completely clear. The other months of April, June, July, and August seem to have had more rain/clouds than sun (or about half and half).

2006 wasn't as bad but July and August saw more rain/clouds than sun. So there does appear to have been a few years that did see a few months in a row of "gloom".

Still, moving away just because of this seems a bit extreme. It's only a few months out of the year. I lived in Manchester, UK for 8 years and I would have been absolutely thrilled to get more than one month in a row that saw more sun than not. In 2007, the sunniest month in Manchester was April with 16 days of mostly sunny/partly cloudy or better. Other months ranged from 0 to 11 days, with an average of 6. That's an average of less than a week of sun per month. I don't miss that!

Old Today, 10:57 AM

158 posts, read 119,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
2006 wasn't as bad but July and August saw more rain/clouds than sun. So there does appear to have been a few years that did see a few months in a row of "gloom".

Thanks for the data, I knew someone could look it up. Of course you are right that those months were not 100% overcast and gloomy ALL the time (I never meant that), but there are definitely months that get overcast almost every day. Of course, this is again not comparable to living on the coast with fog, but some people might not like it who are used to a lot of sunshine.

Quote:
Still, moving away just because of this seems a bit extreme. It's only a few months out of the year. I lived in Manchester, UK for 8 years and I would have been absolutely thrilled to get more than one month in a row that saw more sun than not. In 2007, the sunniest month in Manchester was April with 16 days of mostly sunny/partly cloudy or better. Other months ranged from 0 to 11 days, with an average of 6. That's an average of less than a week of sun per month. I don't miss that!
I agree completely, but not everyone is from overcast/foggy areas. My cousin is from a very sunny part of California, and he believed the rumors meant he would actually see MORE sun here, which was not true (and this is what I'm warning people against). I come from the coast and would literally see fog for months at a time without a glance at the sun (sometimes the entire summer, the foggiest time of the year). Temperatures in my hometown would often not go above 70s in the summer, while only a mere 30-minute drive inland would get you 90s, or even above 100 degree temperatures... I don't miss those long stretches of fog, although sometimes it's nostalgic for me seeing a bit of fog here in CO Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or