U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

583 posts, read 641,856 times

Advertisements

Homeless people have just as much right to use the internet terminals and other public resources at the libraries as those of us fortunate to have a place of our own to sleep at night. Indeed, we provide these resources just so that people who don't have the ability to get their own computer, etc still have access to the tools they need to educate and raise themselves up in the world.

I moved here from New England and thought there were even more vagrants/panhandlers in Boston than in Colorado Springs, in spite of the winter climate being a lot nastier there. Yes, it's a nuisance when they are camped out in doorways, etc. Sometimes they smell bad due to not having anywhere to bathe or wash their clothes. But they generally aren't a threat to the rest of the population, and IMO it shows a startling lack of sensitivity to resent them for sponging off public resources in the library, or suggest that they are so disgusting they need to be kept segregated in their own neighborhood where they won't mix with "decent" people.

I don't know what the solution to homelessness is, but treating the homeless population as people to be feared or as pariahs from society, rather than people who need our help to return to functioning in society, is surely a step in the wrong direction.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,665,686 times
I don't think the vagrants we are specifically talking about have much interest, motivation or perhaps ability to "return" to society. I would love to know their individual stories to understand how they ended up in such a helpless state.

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

19,741 posts, read 9,320,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Homeless people have just as much right to use the internet terminals and other public resources at the libraries as those of us fortunate to have a place of our own to sleep at night. Indeed, we provide these resources just so that people who don't have the ability to get their own computer, etc still have access to the tools they need to educate and raise themselves up in the world.

I moved here from New England and thought there were even more vagrants/panhandlers in Boston than in Colorado Springs, in spite of the winter climate being a lot nastier there. Yes, it's a nuisance when they are camped out in doorways, etc. Sometimes they smell bad due to not having anywhere to bathe or wash their clothes. But they generally aren't a threat to the rest of the population, and IMO it shows a startling lack of sensitivity to resent them for sponging off public resources in the library, or suggest that they are so disgusting they need to be kept segregated in their own neighborhood where they won't mix with "decent" people.

I don't know what the solution to homelessness is, but treating the homeless population as people to be feared or as pariahs from society, rather than people who need our help to return to functioning in society, is surely a step in the wrong direction.
First of all, the main gist of this thread is that the library should be used in the way that libraries are intended to be used. Not for camping.

Second, so you think the homeless people taking up space at the computer stations are educating and raising themselves up?

Third, they make themselves the pariahs.

I suggest you take a few into your own home.

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

3,990 posts, read 1,579,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I don't think the vagrants we are specifically talking about have much interest, motivation or perhaps ability to "return" to society.
Thats pretty elitist. I think alot of people want a normal life they are just denied it due to the changing economy.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

5,927 posts, read 3,341,294 times
I havenít camped out at a library since college.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

583 posts, read 641,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Thats pretty elitist. I think alot of people want a normal life they are just denied it due to the changing economy.
Yeah. It doesn't take much for a working person to suddenly become homeless; being laid off, unable to find a new job, getting evicted for failing to pay rent, your car gets repossessed. If you're from a small town where everybody is struggling you might reasonably think you have a better chance of finding work in a city and want to try your luck there, even if you have nowhere to stay. Maybe you run out of money when you're in transit to somewhere else. Etc.

Of course many homeless people also have mental health and/or substance abuse problems. We're failing those populations too.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

106 posts, read 91,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more!

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more!
Let me ask you something would you rather live on the streets and get free food or would you rather have the standard middle class life? Personally I would rather work and and have nice things than have a free soup.

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

106 posts, read 91,376 times
Doesn't anyone find it interesting that the more aid provided, the more needy people show up? Why is feeding people alright, but feeding wildlife is bad because the animals become dependant?

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
Doesn't anyone find it interesting that the more aid provided, the more needy people show up? Why is feeding people alright, but feeding wildlife is bad because the animals become dependant?
Lord have mercy why is helping the destitute bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or