U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

106 posts, read 91,376 times

Advertisements

We can keep asking each other questions. Do you believe there is such a thing as enabling? Do you believe that people may actually be responsible for the problems they experience in life?

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,665,686 times
I have complete sympathy/empathy for people who have fallen into temporary homelessness due to circumstances beyond their control. Not so much for those who choose to sponge off others. I don't know which "camp" the library overnighters fall into however.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I have complete sympathy/empathy for people who have fallen into temporary homelessness due to circumstances beyond their control. Not so much for those who choose to sponge off others. I don't know which "camp" the library overnighters fall into however.
If you have ever tried to help them, you quickly realize that the majority of them don't want to work, dont want to follow rules, and don't want to answer to anyone. They start out wanting freebies, and eventually they expect the freebies!

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

743 posts, read 386,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
I'd really be interested to know how many COS area homeless are originally from around here, and how many came from other places. I can't imagine why any homeless person would willingly come to (or stay in) a cold winter climate, just to hang out. Could it be that among other things, the library's free internet access is used by the homeless to pass the word on where the best support systems are...free food, places to sleep, places to spend their days, where to find pot and other things?
Even if you were from here, wouldn’t you scrounge up enough money for a bus ticket to somewhere warmer?

Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

743 posts, read 386,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Thats pretty elitist. I think alot of people want a normal life they are just denied it due to the changing economy.
Not elitist, realist.

I’ve spent enough time helping the homeless to know that many of them have no interest in a different life, or at least have no interest in work, or giving up drugs.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

49 posts, read 3,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
I'd really be interested to know how many COS area homeless are originally from around here, and how many came from other places. I can't imagine why any homeless person would willingly come to (or stay in) a cold winter climate, just to hang out. Could it be that among other things, the library's free internet access is used by the homeless to pass the word on where the best support systems are...free food, places to sleep, places to spend their days, where to find pot and other things?

There isn't any place to find pot for free. It is not available at homeless shelters or food banks. The library doesn't offer free pot, either. Please quit imagining pot as a reason people would be willing to freeze.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Not elitist, realist.

I’ve spent enough time helping the homeless to know that many of them have no interest in a different life, or at least have no interest in work, or giving up drugs.

Not every homeless person is a drug addict, or at least they weren't when they still had a job and could pay rent. Living in CO is more expensive than most other places, thus creating more homeless people.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
If you have ever tried to help them, you quickly realize that the majority of them don't want to work, dont want to follow rules, and don't want to answer to anyone. They start out wanting freebies, and eventually they expect the freebies!

So, are you claiming you worked with the homeless, or is that just hearsay? Did you offer them a job? Best wishes.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaandjqa View Post
Not every homeless person is a drug addict, or at least they weren't when they still had a job and could pay rent. Living in CO is more expensive than most other places, thus creating more homeless people.
Very few have been priced out of a home. Most just don't want to live a conventional life of working hard, paying bills, and having responsibilities. I have met many that made the move here from warmer climates.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
We can keep asking each other questions. Do you believe there is such a thing as enabling? Do you believe that people may actually be responsible for the problems they experience in life?

You don't know the what and why of their problems, do you? You'd choose to live outdoors for no reason, wouldn't you? If not, why do you assume they enjoy it?

I was born with a physical condition that causes anxiety and depression, that causes me problems with concentration and memory. What employer would want me? I have suffered like this for 67 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or