U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

49 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
If I understand you correctly, you want hard working people to contribute more of their hard earned dollars so people who choose not to work, can do so more comfortably?

Some of the wealthiest people "make" over $250,000 per minute. How could anyone be working so hard as to deserve that much? But they're kind enough to give their employees the full minimum wage.

Just think, homeless people can't even collect some of your money as they don't have an address for gov't to send it to. Maybe you can have a heart attack over something that will never happen. Why can't you be calm? Seems your money doesn't do that for you. Hope you find the secret to happiness.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

[quote=colobill;54096999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaandjqa View Post

I think you missed the point! If you feed animals, they will stop working (hunting and foraging for food). It messes up the balance of nature. Some humans will do the same.

Let those die who do not work, is that what you favor? Or will you permit them to dig through your garbage cans so they won't starve?

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

106 posts, read 91,376 times
Quote:
Some of the wealthiest people "make" over $250,000 per minute. How could anyone be working so hard as to deserve that much? But they're kind enough to give their employees the full minimum wage.

Just think, homeless people can't even collect some of your money as they don't have an address for gov't to send it to. Maybe you can have a heart attack over something that will never happen. Why can't you be calm? Seems your money doesn't do that for you. Hope you find the secret to happiness.
Rather than wanting what I don't have (or what other people do have) I am happy with what I have. And I appreciate it, because I know I worked hard for it. I am not rich, but I work hard for what I do have. You should consider doing the same! If you don't work hard for what you have, you will never appreciate it.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Really. I suggest you get your car (or get on your bicycle) and start driving around Colorado Springs. I see tens of thousands of homes, townhomes, and apartments being lived in.

Your data is baloney.

There are people who don't even have $100, and it isn't because they prefer it that way. I was robbed of $3,000+, most of my life savings. Some people have $80,000 in debt on credit cards, so they actually have less than nothing. I do not have a car as I could not afford a car, fuel, insurance, repairs, and my medical conditions don't permit me to drive.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM

106 posts, read 91,376 times
Quote:
There are people who don't even have $100, and it isn't because they prefer it that way. I was robbed of $3,000+, most of my life savings. Some people have $80,000 in debt on credit cards, so they actually have less than nothing. I do not have a car as I could not afford a car, fuel, insurance, repairs, and my medical conditions don't permit me to drive.
Some how you have the mistaken belief that life is supposed to be fair and equal. The sooner you understand that it isn't, the happier you will be. But, I am beginning to believe you are getting exactly what you deserve in life.

Old Today, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
Some how you have the mistaken belief that life is supposed to be fair and equal. The sooner you understand that it isn't, the happier you will be. But, I am beginning to believe you are getting exactly what you deserve in life.

My vision is beyond legally blind in left eye, maybe 20/80 or 20/100 in my right eye. Wonder what I did to deserve it. I was born with a physical condition, a neurological condition that makes me shake, and causes much anxiety and depression, causing me to not be able to concentrate and remember, or be efficient. I wonder what my sins were in the womb that made me deserve it? It took 48 years for a tentative diagnosis that it was something Docs can't help.

I'm pretty sure you'll never be able to show compassion unless something horrible happens to you.

Of course all those people camping by the library deserve their misery, as nobody ever had a problem that wasn't all their fault.

Old Today, 12:22 AM

583 posts, read 641,856 times
I've worked hard all my life and am financially secure too, but I'm not so out of touch with how close to the edge people less fortunate than I am live. For example, you can "work hard" at a minimum wage job and still be far below the federal poverty level. And 40% of Americans don't have enough savings to cover an unexpected $400 expense.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/fed-...y-expense.html

Being poor may not have anything to do with an unwillingness to "work hard". It may have to do with not having the education or vocational training that would qualify you for a better-paying job. It may have to do with living in an economically depressed area that is losing jobs. It may have to do with an illness or accident or family situation (children or elders that need care, for instance) that prevents you from working, at least temporarily. Being poor is not necessarily a *moral* failure that makes poor people so unworthy and tainted that we can't even let them within sight of decent people.

Old Today, 12:31 AM

13,865 posts, read 21,771,375 times
Quote:
Some people aren't even born normal. I hope others won't blame them for how they were born. Some were rejected by their families, have no friends or support system. They may believe every bad thing they are told about themselves. People with money want nothing to do with those less fortunate.
There's always drugs.

Quote:
Wow that's rough.

The only way this story could possibly be any more sadening is if I was in your shoes.

Old Today, 05:28 AM

4,497 posts, read 4,532,719 times
I don't think we'll solve the homeless issue in this thread.

But I also don't think the solution should involve free camping at libraries.

Old Today, 10:11 AM

2,817 posts, read 1,804,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I support the library in this effort but I think the only way to truly end homelessness in America will be a federal housing program that houses them free of charge. They then could be evaluated on a case by case basis if they are fit to join the labor force.
This may be viable as a temporary means to give them the hand up to (re)establish themselves with the assistance to support themselves and become a contributor to society. Does everyone deserve a free home for simply living in this country, IMO, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
I'd really be interested to know how many COS area homeless are originally from around here, and how many came from other places. I can't imagine why any homeless person would willingly come to (or stay in) a cold winter climate, just to hang out. Could it be that among other things, the library's free internet access is used by the homeless to pass the word on where the best support systems are...free food, places to sleep, places to spend their days, where to find pot and other things?
I have not dug into the data extensively but have seen some basic numbers to suggest that the largest percentage of homeless came here and not not displaced locals. No doubt a number of them came here for the same reason most do, to try to improve their lives. Of course, some probably did so for the MJ laws and charity. CO and Cos tend to rank high on altruism. There are numerous websites about free camping, gypsy living, etc that are shared on the interwebs that anyone can access and assess potential relocation possibilities and view services available and camping options. Not all the homeless are drug induced zombies nor mentally incapacitated. mMny are very resourceful and use the same tools to create their lives that we all use to find the latest shopping bargains or participate in a public debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Homeless people have just as much right to use the internet terminals and other public resources at the libraries as those of us fortunate to have a place of our own to sleep at night. Indeed, we provide these resources just so that people who don't have the ability to get their own computer, etc still have access to the tools they need to educate and raise themselves up in the world.

I moved here from New England and thought there were even more vagrants/panhandlers in Boston than in Colorado Springs, in spite of the winter climate being a lot nastier there. Yes, it's a nuisance when they are camped out in doorways, etc. Sometimes they smell bad due to not having anywhere to bathe or wash their clothes. But they generally aren't a threat to the rest of the population, and IMO it shows a startling lack of sensitivity to resent them for sponging off public resources in the library, or suggest that they are so disgusting they need to be kept segregated in their own neighborhood where they won't mix with "decent" people.

I don't know what the solution to homelessness is, but treating the homeless population as people to be feared or as pariahs from society, rather than people who need our help to return to functioning in society, is surely a step in the wrong direction.
Agreed, generally. But we also have too look at the public health aspects of this. Bathing in the restrooms of the library (which I have seen) is not okay. Leaving human waste outside the library is not okay. While most are harmless, there are a few unstable ones as well. Attacking a police office (which happened to an acquaintance of mine) blindly walking into traffic, or even just meanacingly staring down a pedestrian (both of which I've seen) are risk a percentage of this population bring to the rest of us. On the flip side, some are very polite, some take minimal assistance, and some make an effort to deliberately stay out of the public's view.

Quote:
You don't know the what and why of their problems, do you? You'd choose to live outdoors for no reason, wouldn't you? If not, why do you assume they enjoy it?

I was born with a physical condition that causes anxiety and depression, that causes me problems with concentration and memory. What employer would want me? I have suffered like this for 67 years.
And do you seek to improve yourself and your position or do you use this as a reason not to seek improvement? Obviously you have been dealt a difficult hand. But I dare say you are not the only one who has had to overcome obstacles. Here on city data we have some local posters who were dealt tough hands and ran into bad luck. They fought through it, found the resources available to them, and made the changes to alter their paths in life. Will you chose to pursue improvement or give up?

Some do chose this life. Those are the ones that tend to be less visible, less of a drain, and know how to live their life without drawing attention to themselves. Others could care less and its all about them, their habits, or issues. Some really don't know why they are there. Some need a hand up. Some have chosen to be victims. Their stories are as varied as the number of them out there. However, for a percentage, they can chose to continue the lifestyle or chose to find ways to step up. I don't think people are against helping those that need a helping hand and chose to improve themselves, but charity for the sake of perpetuating a lifestyle that infringes on the public health or perception of safety and have no desire to change, that is an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or