U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 PM

24 posts, read 20,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I have no idea what the op is complaining about, even with the light way she lives, $166 is ridiculously cheap for a 2400 sf home for water, gas and electric.

Duke, thank you for your thoughtful reply.
In my original post, I was expressing concern that my bill had increased so much. As the bills (all of them) increase, my salary doesn't. I'm a teacher, age north of 60, and my salary has been the same for the past ten years (less than $40K). At this point in my life I did not want to have to get a second job to be able to survive. I am frustrated, and that's what I was trying to express.

Thank you all for your ideas and comments.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 02:58 PM

491 posts, read 235,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
LHS, having been through the travails of an aging parent I want to be sure you are aware of the pitfalls of having to "spend down to Medicaid" which can bankrupt a person. Issue is the $8k/month to pay the cost of long term care (LTC) in a skilled nursing facility (SNF). Our family was unaware that Medicaid would only pay for LTC in an SNF if their net worth was $2.5k or below, i.e., functionally bankrupt. Your mom needs to have her 'elder law' documents in order so the estate can be protected, and often the rules require this be done 5+ years in advance of the need for Medicaid assistance. Rules may vary a bit by state, but if this matter hasn't been tended to by her/you then by all means I urge your soonest attention to protect her assets and desires for care in her later years.
Thanks Mike for the info- my older brother is our Power of Attorney for the issues we anticipate with our folks.

Mom (age 84) is now in the big house alone since we had to place dad in a long-term care place last year when he went downhill (age 92).

They are lucky- dad was an MD and was actually the Medical Director for Mountain Bell, then US West, then eventually Qwest before they gave him a golden parachute to retire (they went to HMO's etc... and got rid of the medical staff in Denver in the '80's).

They are paying $10K a month for his care and I have heard that is an average cost and not out of line for 24/7 nursing care and a private room. They pay with their savings and insurance will not cover anything due to their assets.

Hard to believe you have to be broke to get any help with these costs- I guess if you are wealthy you SHOULD cover them yourselves.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawah View Post
Duke, thank you for your thoughtful reply.
In my original post, I was expressing concern that my bill had increased so much. As the bills (all of them) increase, my salary doesn't. I'm a teacher, age north of 60, and my salary has been the same for the past ten years (less than $40K). At this point in my life I did not want to have to get a second job to be able to survive. I am frustrated, and that's what I was trying to express.

Thank you all for your ideas and comments.
$214/mo for gas, elec and water is really cheap in any part of the country, I'd suggest moving or downsizing but what you are paying is so cheap there's no reason. Like I said I paid an avg of $135/mo for just water when I lived in Castle Rock for 16 years. Everyone works hard for their money, everyone is tight these days - you aren't alone on that.
A single person living on $40k, if you are thinking of getting a second job just to survive you must be terrible with money. Many familes with multiple children live on that or less.

Last edited by duke944; 01-16-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,691,126 times
I live in a 2100 sf tri-level and keep the thermostat from 55 at night to 64 during the day when really cold. I Just tallied up last year's monthly bills and the average is $139. Highest month was Jan 2018 at $180. Maybe it doesn't pay to do the averaging thing.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 PM

2,922 posts, read 1,914,387 times
While Nawah's total bill is pretty reasonable to most of us, the core of the issue was a 25% increase after CSU announced a rate change of less than $10 a month. I think any of us would be a bit tweaked if our utilities went up 25% in a single month. So it is not necessarily about total expense, but percentage increases.

Nawah also dug into it and found out why it changed so drastically and has developed a plan that should be able to drop the immediate billings and create a new baseline to return to balanced billing in time.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:43 AM

2,890 posts, read 7,214,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Umm...I donít think itís expensive, and getting rid of that polluting eyesore would be great for the city.
Yea, all that steam is really polluting everything.....

Electricity rates will quadruple if it's replaced with a natural gas plant elsewhere, and that's being conservative. It's not an eyesore, it's part of downtown, get used to it.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM

819 posts, read 430,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yea, all that steam is really polluting everything.....

Electricity rates will quadruple if it's replaced with a natural gas plant elsewhere, and that's being conservative. It's not an eyesore, it's part of downtown, get used to it.
Umm....it’s a coal burning power plant, not geothermal. And there’s nothing attractive about it.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:56 AM

2,890 posts, read 7,214,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Umm....itís a coal burning power plant, not geothermal. And thereís nothing attractive about it.
Yes, it is a coal burning plant, that's been recently retrofitted with Newman Technologies' emissions scrubbers, nearly none of what you can see is emissions from combustion of coal, it's all steam from the cooling towers that you see.

And who needs it to be "Attractive"? It's cheap, it's there, and it's what gives us some of the lowest electricity rates in the country. It is what it is. Typical Nimbyism. Everyone wants cheap everything, but not if they have to see it in their own backyard.

I've gone off topic, and I apologize for that.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 AM

751 posts, read 837,857 times
OP, I would downsize. Life is about compromise and we can't have it all sometimes. ...and if your utilities are a burden, wait until that large home starts needing major maintenance and repairs. Talk about expensive! Just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:40 AM

819 posts, read 430,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yes, it is a coal burning plant, that's been recently retrofitted with Newman Technologies' emissions scrubbers, nearly none of what you can see is emissions from combustion of coal, it's all steam from the cooling towers that you see.

And who needs it to be "Attractive"? It's cheap, it's there, and it's what gives us some of the lowest electricity rates in the country. It is what it is. Typical Nimbyism. Everyone wants cheap everything, but not if they have to see it in their own backyard.

I've gone off topic, and I apologize for that.
Thereís plenty of documentation that it has a negative impact on the air quality in the area.
Why would you assume Iím a nimby? I donít live anywhere near downtown. But for a town trying to become a city and draw people here, a power plant next to downtown, the park, and the Olympic museum is not a good idea.
I guess you only care about your wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or