U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 263 times

Advertisements

I’m looking for some info on different areas to look into when I relocate with my family out there. We are from Henderson, NV - kind of a suburb to Las Vegas.

Im a mom of 2 (elementary & middle school age). I’m a hairstylist & my husband is a restaurant manager. So definitely middle class. Lol. I think we would like an area close to shopping, sort of busier & convenient part of town.

I’ve seen a lot of postings on new a home development in antelope ridge, which seems amazingly affordable for brand new homes. Just wondering is there a catch ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM

4,509 posts, read 4,550,222 times
"The easiest way to explain how to think of this community is as an upgraded mobile home community with a nice community clubhouse and good community maintainence.

Since there is no land ownership that conveys with these properties, many people view then as depreciating personal assets rather than real estate which appreciates over time. As the result they have not only been extremely difficult for sellers to sell, sometimes taking more than a year to sell if they sell at all, but in almost every case they have sold for much less than purchased for...even when the real estate market was much stronger."

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Proper...p_Is_th-142484

If you don't own the land the house is cheap.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:44 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,853,152 times
Great question! Yep - there is definitely a catch! The article Vision67 posted covers it really well. Think of it as a manufactured home community where you don't own the land - difficult to resell, and usually resale is at a loss to you.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:00 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,819,778 times
Wait a second, I thought Antelope Ridge was a huge the housing development at Austin Bluffs Parkway and T-Gap that feeds into Scott Elementary? Maybe I'm thinking of Antelope Acres or something slightly different. It definitely has a big brick corner piece that says Antelope something on it.

Wasn't aware of the Antelope Ridge listed above, but certainly not surprised by its presence.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:34 PM

20,525 posts, read 38,258,019 times
I googled and found Antelope Ridge is out east near Marksheffel and Barnes. Looks to be in the flight path of the airport....

As such it is close to the large variety of shopping, eats and services that are all along the Powers Corridor.

Map indicates this may be in Cimarron Hills, which IIRC, had issues with water supply, though that may be old news. My advice is to live in an area served by COLO SPGS Utilities, a city-owned utility that does gas, electric, water and sewerage. I lived there 11 years and found CSU to be excellent and affordable.

The OP needs to check the reviews on Yelp, as not all are glowing. OP should do her due diligence on utilities, water supplies and quality of work. Using this site is part of due diligence, we'll give all the advice we can.

To help the OP we need to know their target price to rent or buy, how many BRs and baths, etc. Often times renting a year before buying is a wise move to learn the area. By all means the OP needs a home with a garage as the hail storms along the I-25 corridor can easily TOTAL a car in minutes.

Out east of town the winds may kick up a bit stronger at times.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-15-2019 at 04:48 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 07:28 PM

751 posts, read 392,018 times
Barnes is 6 miles north of the airport so doubt there would be much noise.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 PM

20,525 posts, read 38,258,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Barnes is 6 miles north of the airport so doubt there would be much noise.
Let's hope so. Best if the OP walked that neighborhood and talked to the locals.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 263 times
Wow everyone is so very helpful. So Antelope Ridge is pretty much out of the question.. it's not even worth considering. I honestly had not given much thought into utilities, all utility services are pretty much monopolized into one provider out here.

umm.. budget wise I was thinking somewhere in the 250-280's range although i only have a vague idea on the current market. 3bd 2ba + garage is def a must.

I am thinking renting for the 1st year is probably a better idea

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

758 posts, read 446,028 times
Not much of a catch in COS except hail. Beautiful place, beautiful scenery. I think the only thing I hate about COS are the Texan and California drivers (no offense) but they are very inconsiderate. Everytime I get tailgated or cut off it is some1 from texas or California plates

Anywhere you live you will be close to a shopping center. Powers around barnes, stetson hills are all growing very fast. Nice places to eat and shop as well....and I am sure it is getting larger by the day

Budget wise 250 280 there is some average homes....better get 1 before it keeps going up though! 350k+ then that is when you start getting more "modern" homes.

most apartments are about 1100 - 1800 in rent now...in the good areas.

it is getting populated, but its also a good thing....at least for me!! usually more people bring more places, more food, more sales, more people to hang out with and meet!

I also live in stetson hills and TBH I do not hear the airport at all. If I am outside, then yes. Either that or my mind just filtered it out subconsciously

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

962 posts, read 1,064,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rox View Post
Wow everyone is so very helpful. So Antelope Ridge is pretty much out of the question.. it's not even worth considering. I honestly had not given much thought into utilities, all utility services are pretty much monopolized into one provider out here.

umm.. budget wise I was thinking somewhere in the 250-280's range although i only have a vague idea on the current market. 3bd 2ba + garage is def a must.

I am thinking renting for the 1st year is probably a better idea
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but this site will help you with renting or buying: https://ppar.com/

By the way, crappy drivers are well-represented by every state in the union. I get tailgated and cut off by Colorado plates as much as any other. There were bad drivers here in the Springs long before the California invasion. That's my 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs