U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM

791 posts, read 411,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Easily the entire southwest could become quite sparsely populated assuming no new water is found. I am pretty interested in desalinization technology the middle east is pretty reliant on it maybe the US will invest more in that infrastructure.
Desalination has already started in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 PM

214 posts, read 101,636 times
How about someone build a better reservoir around here in the vicinity of the Colorado Springs? I bet it wouldn't take one of our huge rain/hailstorms that causes intense flash floods to get one of these up with some water and within a couple of years if we don't have a drought it would be full. I thought one was going to be built around the jimmy camp creek area southeast of Falcon but I could be wrong. I mean I've seen the Fountain Creek go from 6 inches of water to nearly 6 feet of water within a day or less during our monsoons or heavy Spring precip years. I don't think it would take ages to fill a lake that was built properly. Many large cities have several lakes around them to help support water usage. Maybe we could use a mix of groundwater/lakes/ and continue to use the Rampart reservoir, which they already do, to help us. Otherwise it seems like we have tons of water from storms in the summer that basically runs off and goes downstream to who knows where. Another note is that I don't think this drought cycle will last forever. That will also help lawns and other water usage.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 PM

5,144 posts, read 6,915,070 times
The Southern Delivery System plan is to do just that - two reservoirs are planned out around the Fountain area. But our mountain reservoirs could use some work - Stanley Reservoir was found to be leaking and is too expensive to repair and is sitting empty.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:46 AM

462 posts, read 220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
How about someone build a better reservoir around here in the vicinity of the Colorado Springs? I bet it wouldn't take one of our huge rain/hailstorms that causes intense flash floods to get one of these up with some water and within a couple of years if we don't have a drought it would be full. I thought one was going to be built around the jimmy camp creek area southeast of Falcon but I could be wrong. I mean I've seen the Fountain Creek go from 6 inches of water to nearly 6 feet of water within a day or less during our monsoons or heavy Spring precip years. I don't think it would take ages to fill a lake that was built properly. Many large cities have several lakes around them to help support water usage. Maybe we could use a mix of groundwater/lakes/ and continue to use the Rampart reservoir, which they already do, to help us. Otherwise it seems like we have tons of water from storms in the summer that basically runs off and goes downstream to who knows where. Another note is that I don't think this drought cycle will last forever. That will also help lawns and other water usage.
We definitely do not need help for "lawns"- that should be the least of everyone's concerns and CO. policy concerning water should not even consider lawns.

Not a bad idea on the water storage however.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:16 AM

586 posts, read 1,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The Southern Delivery System plan is to do just that - two reservoirs are planned out around the Fountain area. But our mountain reservoirs could use some work - Stanley Reservoir was found to be leaking and is too expensive to repair and is sitting empty.
For the record, Stanley Reservoir was never used as a source for drinking water.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:29 AM

978 posts, read 1,076,636 times
The current "This Old House" project is called a "Net-Zero" house because the house is energy efficient to the max. The owners wanted to take that to their lawn as well. So they looked at laying down a sod that contains clover - it had a name but can't remember it off-hand. Anyway, this kind of lawn doesn't require much watering. The fields at the sod farm they visited looked pretty impressive. I wonder if anyone here has used this kind of sod?

Old 02-01-2019, 12:18 PM

462 posts, read 220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
The current "This Old House" project is called a "Net-Zero" house because the house is energy efficient to the max. The owners wanted to take that to their lawn as well. So they looked at laying down a sod that contains clover - it had a name but can't remember it off-hand. Anyway, this kind of lawn doesn't require much watering. The fields at the sod farm they visited looked pretty impressive. I wonder if anyone here has used this kind of sod?
I love that show too- usually watch on Sat. at 4:30p on Ch. 8 so I will check it out.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:05 PM

978 posts, read 1,076,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I love that show too- usually watch on Sat. at 4:30p on Ch. 8 so I will check it out.

Yes, do check it out. The energy efficient stuff they're doing is amazing and so smart.

I've always loved the show ... not sure why, but I really admire the combined construction experience of that whole crew as they make an old house come to life. The owners (who are architects) will never have to worry about utility bills or water. I wish I could afford to do some of what they're doing with my old house.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:46 PM

5,144 posts, read 6,915,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
For the record, Stanley Reservoir was never used as a source for drinking water.
True. But in an emergency any of our supplies could be marshaled, but I was speaking more about the general state of our water resources of all types needing some investment.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:47 AM

595 posts, read 700,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
We xeriscaped most of our property but we kept a couple of small areas of sod and we aerated and then overseeded the areas with micro clover, it’s a dwarf variety of dutch white clover. It has done really well, it’s lower water use than sod, stays green much longer and is resistant to pet urine; it completely filled in the burn areas from the dogs. It’s very soft to walk on and if you don’t want it to flower you can keep it mowed. It also is amazing at outcompeting undesirable weeds. We had a dry sloped area that weeds had filled in where the grass had been, the clover took it over within a few months.

A few things to consider is it’s not as wear resistant as sod so if you have kids playing a 50/50 clover and grass seed blend may work better and it doesn’t do well in full shade. We did a sod clover blend in a small area in the backyard since there’s more foot traffic from us and the dogs, but in the front we went full clover. Because it is a very small leaf the clover blends in with existing grass and clover adds nitrogen to the soil to keep the lawn healthy.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 02-03-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs