U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:06 PM

978 posts, read 1,076,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
We xeriscaped most of our property but we kept a couple of small areas of sod and we aerated and then overseeded the areas with micro clover, itís a dwarf variety of dutch white clover. It has done really well, itís lower water use than sod, stays green much longer and is resistant to pet urine; it completely filled in the burn areas from the dogs. Itís very soft to walk on and if you donít want it to flower you can keep it mowed. It also is amazing at outcompeting undesirable weeds. We had a dry sloped area that weeds had filled in where the grass had been, the clover took it over within a few months.

A few things to consider is itís not as wear resistant as sod so if you have kids playing a 50/50 clover and grass seed blend may work better and it doesnít do well in full shade. We did a sod clover blend in a small area in the backyard since thereís more foot traffic from us and the dogs, but in the front we went full clover. Because it is a very small leaf the clover blends in with existing grass and clover adds nitrogen to the soil to keep the lawn healthy.

Sounds nice. The stuff they showed on "This Old House" was a 50/50 mix ... half clover, half whatever the grass was. If I were going to have a house built here, it's something I would insist on.

It's too bad more developers don't give those options ... I'm not really sure who decides on the landscaping for new construction, but considering our water issues now and that it will only get worse in the future, this seems like something that should be mandatory for all new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 05:17 PM

595 posts, read 700,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post

It's too bad more developers don't give those options ... I'm not really sure who decides on the landscaping for new construction, but considering our water issues now and that it will only get worse in the future, this seems like something that should be mandatory for all new construction.
And not just new construction, we have a historic home downtown on a large lot, the amount of water that it would take to keep large lawns green is tremendous (unfortunately we donít have an old well like some in the neighborhood). The mini dutch clover is nice in that we can have a lush green look without all the wasted water.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 1,620,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
We definitely do not need help for "lawns"- that should be the least of everyone's concerns and CO. policy concerning water should not even consider lawns.

Not a bad idea on the water storage however.
Sorry to bust your theory about Colo and the West's water shortages: lawns aren't the cause of our water crisis. The HUGE user of surface water in the west (Colo and Arizona included) is agriculture. They use like 70% of the surface water!!

So, like Arizona has done, acres and acres of former orange groves and alfalfa fields are now occupied by new homes. The water rights of these agriculture areas have been used to keep the homes with a guaranteed water supply.

And if you are a "purist" re: avoiding using water for landscape lawns, there are native alternatives to bluegrass along the Front Range, like Buffalo grass and blue grama grass lawns. Few people use them.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:18 AM

4,083 posts, read 1,637,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Sorry to bust your theory about Colo and the West's water shortages: lawns aren't the cause of our water crisis. The HUGE user of surface water in the west (Colo and Arizona included) is agriculture. They use like 70% of the surface water!!

So, like Arizona has done, acres and acres of former orange groves and alfalfa fields are now occupied by new homes. The water rights of these agriculture areas have been used to keep the homes with a guaranteed water supply.

And if you are a "purist" re: avoiding using water for landscape lawns, there are native alternatives to bluegrass along the Front Range, like Buffalo grass and blue grama grass lawns. Few people use them.
Every bit counts and agriculture is essential lawns are not. I hope in the future all new construction will feature xeriscaping.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:46 AM

791 posts, read 411,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Every bit counts and agriculture is essential lawns are not. I hope in the future all new construction will feature xeriscaping.
Does that depend on what theyíre growing?

Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 AM

4,083 posts, read 1,637,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Does that depend on what theyíre growing?
Hmm yes possibly I do know the California almond growers suck up quite a bit of water. I don't know what a good solution could be apart from the state mandating what crops can be grown based on water reserves.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 AM

2,410 posts, read 1,620,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Sounds nice. The stuff they showed on "This Old House" was a 50/50 mix ... half clover, half whatever the grass was. If I were going to have a house built here, it's something I would insist on.

Put Clover in my lawn? No thanks. I used to spray weed killer on the stuff when it would pop-up in my lawn in Illinois. haha

Old Today, 06:56 PM

32 posts, read 1,016 times
I once read "There's no shortage of water, just a shortage of pipes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs