U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:33 PM

13,557 posts, read 11,234,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Find a city with a lower cost of living. Colorado Springs rents have increase quite a bit over the past 5 years or so. Being able to only afford one month of rent is a recipe for disaster.

Also, if you don't have a car (not sure if you do, but I assume not), Colorado Springs does not have the best public transportation, so unless you found a place to live where you could walk to work and amenities, you may have difficulties getting around.
Great advice...rents are ridiculous...
and then the first and last and security? I do not know how people do it....trailer parks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Status: "Please snow ... or rain, either would be good." (set 12 days ago)

969 posts, read 1,069,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Should contact a temp agency online for a temporary job. Should contact social services in the place where he is heading. Should contact churches/charities in the same place. Should do all of that before landing back in the US. As a US citizen, he can get temporary social assistance practically anywhere (and in his case it furthermore sounds legitimate). Social assistance is likely easiest to get in California (plus it is relatively warm to sleep outdoors if worse comes to the worst), and there are jobs. It is the most expensive state in the nation, but also probably the best place in the US to be totally destitute. I would suggest San Francisco actually, as they have a thorough familiarity, and experience with handling, destitute.

Check SFHSA.org website (San Francisco Human Services Agency) for more info.

415-701-2311 is the phone of San Francisco Homeless Services hotline (24 hrs, every day of the year) if you have a way of making a phone call. Even if you're not going to San Francisco, they should be more informative than random people here.

Hope all turns out well. Tough situation.
This is excellent advice. OP ... as suggested, there is a lot of preliminary work to be done before he arrives in the US. Take the time to do as much as you can from there, and things will be somewhat easier for him here. There are many things that can be handled online.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 1,839,243 times
I'll chime in with others about questioning whether Co Spg and Austin are the best locations for this kind of effort. FWIW, you have given us no information that you father has any special skill set that will make employment particularly easy for him to obtain. The statement about anything but had physical work leads me to believe he is looking for entry level, minimum wage type jobs. FWIW, CO minimum wage is $11.10 right now and will got to $12 next January. TX minimum wage is $7.25.

The streets here are full of people who did exactly what he is thinking; came here with minimal to no savings and had no real plan for employment. I've seen estimates of 900-2000 homeless in El Paso county. Add in that he has no contacts, no vehicle, what may be minimal skills, and age, and it will be a tough leap to make. Not impossible, but very tough. There are quite a few charitable organizations here, but lack of transportation will make using them, and finding work, very, very difficult.

Colo Spgs also has highly variable weather, so if he were to loose shelter, he may be exposed to elements. It may be sunny and warm one day and wind blowing snow the next and this is possible from October to May.

Old Today, 12:02 AM

1 posts
For what it is worth, I recommend Saint Louis Missouri. I have lived there for 18 years and am moving to CS.... The reason I say Saint Louis is that it is very, very inexpensive to live there and it is rather easy to get around on public transport compared to most US cities.

The other city I would say offers opportunities is Durham, NC. It is more expensive than STL, but I believe the opportunities for work are possibly greater.

Good Luck.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,877,370 times
I would wonder does he have family/friends anywhere in the U.S. who could help him out somewhere temporarily - a room to stay in for awhile, etc. Going somewhere he has no family or connections at all is pretty unfortunate, imho.

Old Today, 09:20 AM

211 posts, read 100,144 times
FYI: You mentioned Austin in your original post, but apparently ruled it out.

As a former long-time Texas resident, I think it would be hard to find work in Austin. I don't think you should "reconsider" it. If moving to Texas, a larger metroplex (e.g., Dallas/Ft Worth) would have more opportunity and jobs.

Old Today, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I would wonder does he have family/friends anywhere in the U.S. who could help him out somewhere temporarily - a room to stay in for awhile, etc. Going somewhere he has no family or connections at all is pretty unfortunate, imho.
He stated in his first post that there is nobody in the states who can help and no connections. So of course that makes things even more difficult. As was suggested, the more he can do ahead of time, the better.

I've been wondering if the American Embassy could help on his end in the UK? It seems to me it might be worth looking into. From a quick Google search, their site says "emergency services".

Not sure if I can post the link here, but to the OP: you should look at the embassy website to see if there's help to be had. They mention emergency financial assistance as well.

Old Today, 12:34 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,570,998 times
Inexpensive, decent cities to consider as opposed to COS or Austin:

Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma City, OK
Indianapolis, IN

There are plenty of smaller metros in the US that are VERY inexpensive. This Especially true in the midwest and the south.

Old Today, 04:07 PM

No matter what - trying to find any rent without a job is rather difficult these days. Most landlords/management companies want first and last month, as well as a security deposit; and they run credit checks as well. He could get lucky and find a landlord for whom that doesn't matter ... but that's a long shot.

I still think the best thing to do is try to get some sort of help right there in the UK before coming here with empty pockets and no job.

Old Today, 04:15 PM

98 posts, read 127,410 times
How about starting out weekly at a motel/hotel with weekly or monthly rates? Agree going to a lower COL city is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs