Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 10:02 AM

6 posts, read 5,662 times

Advertisements

So I need to return to the United States in a couple weeks. I have nothing to go back to. No job, no home and very few belongings which I will be bringing with me. I have a set amount of cash to start me out and I was thinking of coming to Colorado Springs to start out - but I really have no idea where to go so I am flexible where I actually go but I need to decide quickly! I originally was thinking Austin.

I have nobody in the states who can help me and no connections. This is a long and complicated story.

What is your opinions on starting out in Colorado Springs? I don't mind where I work, I am 57 years old - I can do anything as long as it does not include lifting/moving anything too heavy as I am not as fit as I used to be.

I have been looking at apartments and I can probably afford my first month of rent but that is it, so I would need to find a job immediately.

I am worried at the prospect of becoming homeless as I still have to help out my family members back in the UK out - namely my wife who is very ill. I can't afford to pay for any visa application fees etc. to stay and work in the UK.

I am posting this on behalf of my step-dad who I am trying to help out right now and I am desperate to be able to help him find work but I really don't know where to start. I've written this in 1st Person, but I will pass on all advice you guys can give to him. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Find a city with a lower cost of living. Colorado Springs rents have increase quite a bit over the past 5 years or so. Being able to only afford one month of rent is a recipe for disaster.

Also, if you don't have a car (not sure if you do, but I assume not), Colorado Springs does not have the best public transportation, so unless you found a place to live where you could walk to work and amenities, you may have difficulties getting around.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Are there particular reasons he is looking at Colorado Springs and Austin? I am not sure Colorado Springs is the easiest place to start out from scratch - cost of living is pretty high and while there are jobs, a lot of them are not particularly high paying and I don't know what kind of experience or job prospects he really has. Homelessness does seem to be a legitimate issue here and while there are resources the climate here is not the easiest to get through being homeless.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Pueblo is a lot cheaper I would go there if you want to come to Colorado.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:25 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
If you rent you need to have not only one month's rent, but first and last (and sometimes more) as well. It does not sound like he's in a position to cover that expense. We are in the middle of winter, he doesn't not want to be out in the cold.

I'm wondering about your two city choices as well. There are many more places in the US where it would be a bit easier on someone with limited funds and no job. You don't have to tell us the whole long story, but a few more details might help us point you in the right direction.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:31 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
If Colorado is not a requirement, I would suggest Pittsburgh. Great public transport, affordable housing, growing economy. I think it's a well kept secret. When OP is on his feet, he could always move elsewhere, but to arrive in such a state, I think a low-key city with good transport would be best.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
If you rent you need to have not only one month's rent, but first and last (and sometimes more) as well. It does not sound like he's in a position to cover that expense. We are in the middle of winter, he doesn't not want to be out in the cold.

I'm wondering about your two city choices as well. There are many more places in the US where it would be a bit easier on someone with limited funds and no job. You don't have to tell us the whole long story, but a few more details might help us point you in the right direction.

I'm going to stop talking in the 1st person of my step-dad.

He had been caring for his parents for a number of years in America before they died not long after each other. He was not working due to giving them care. He came to the UK following their deaths on a visitors visa but now has to return to the US to nothing. We have money issues here in the UK too and my mum cannot work due to her own illnesses - she too has very little money. Because she cannot work and does not earn an income, a work visa cannot be permitted to my step-dad which means that he needs to go back to America and cannot stay in the UK. Lots of issues are at present here and we are just looking for any advice we can get. We need to decide very soon where he is going to stay in America. He needs to return by the beginning of Feb. We have no connections at all in the US for help. This is obviously a very poor situation.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If Colorado is not a requirement, I would suggest Pittsburgh. Great public transport, affordable housing, growing economy. I think it's a well kept secret. When OP is on his feet, he could always move elsewhere, but to arrive in such a state, I think a low-key city with good transport would be best.
Will look into Pittsburgh, thank you!

Old 01-27-2019, 12:08 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBarlow View Post
Will look into Pittsburgh, thank you!
Friends who are city lovers have been visiting Pittsburgh many times recently and planning to retire there as a good place for side work, available housing options and great public transport. I live in Colorado now, but if I had to live in a city for some reason, I would certainly consider Pittsburgh. Maybe he could contact Traveler's Aid at the bus station or somewhere for an immediate start. Best wishes to your family.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:29 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBarlow View Post
I'm going to stop talking in the 1st person of my step-dad.

He had been caring for his parents for a number of years in America before they died not long after each other. He was not working due to giving them care. He came to the UK following their deaths on a visitors visa but now has to return to the US to nothing. We have money issues here in the UK too and my mum cannot work due to her own illnesses - she too has very little money. Because she cannot work and does not earn an income, a work visa cannot be permitted to my step-dad which means that he needs to go back to America and cannot stay in the UK. Lots of issues are at present here and we are just looking for any advice we can get. We need to decide very soon where he is going to stay in America. He needs to return by the beginning of Feb. We have no connections at all in the US for help. This is obviously a very poor situation.

Should contact a temp agency online for a temporary job. Should contact social services in the place where he is heading. Should contact churches/charities in the same place. Should do all of that before landing back in the US. As a US citizen, he can get temporary social assistance practically anywhere (and in his case it furthermore sounds legitimate). Social assistance is likely easiest to get in California (plus it is relatively warm to sleep outdoors if worse comes to the worst), and there are jobs. It is the most expensive state in the nation, but also probably the best place in the US to be totally destitute. I would suggest San Francisco actually, as they have a thorough familiarity, and experience with handling, destitute.

Check SFHSA.org website (San Francisco Human Services Agency) for more info.

415-701-2311 is the phone of San Francisco Homeless Services hotline (24 hrs, every day of the year) if you have a way of making a phone call. Even if you're not going to San Francisco, they should be more informative than random people here.

Hope all turns out well. Tough situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs