U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:39 AM

13,580 posts, read 11,244,397 times

Advertisements

Puffing for newbies is warming up your car unattended. (Why don't they call it 'Warming", lol)

I don't get why I couldn't run my car in my own driveway (set back, even) with the doors locked.
That doesn't make sense to me...my property, right?
Would someone break a window to drive away with it at 8am in the freezing cold in a residential neighborhood?
Who's walking around or driving by looking for locked cars running?
I transport an older sister...it's gotta be warmed up in there!

A rant...there is no real answer. (not getting one of those auto starts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 10:07 AM

445 posts, read 211,767 times
I see the "Puffer" warnings now on the overhead highway signs all over the place-

Darwin Award winners for sure that do that.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:10 AM

i think this week is Crack down on puffing Week.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 AM

5,129 posts, read 6,881,488 times
The law was probably written with all those that do not have push button or auto start in mind - i.e. to have their car running, they have to leave the keys in and typically car unlocked- and it is indeed a common choice for theft. I wouldn't be surprised if some do go to the trouble of breaking in to steal those auto start/push button start cars as well, but not as much.

As for the autostart/push button vehicles, I personally see it as less of an issue, but the idea that cars need to warm up for any substantial length of time before driving them is out of date - if your model is new enough to have the push button or auto start - that doesn't apply anymore.

As for running them just so they're warm when you get in - well, it is kind of wasteful in the environmental sense but in the grand scheme of things how big a deal is it? I don't know. I choose not to do it, because I'd rather not take a chance at my car getting stolen and the car warms up in a few minutes anyway - no big deal.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 1,842,675 times
The law does exempt vehicles with a remote start feature.

Those with a push button start require the fob to be within a specific proximity of the vehicle before it could be driven. Remote start is similar in that only the engine runs. The vehicle cannot be put into gear and driven without the fobs in the vehicle or inserted into the ignition. this is how they get exempted. Using a key to start the vehicle allows all functions to be used. Using a remote start does not allow all functions.

I suppose if you have a vehicle without remote start and you started it and locked it, you maybe could talk your way out of a ticket. However, if you have a desirable model, ie high parts demand, a smash and grab isn't an unreasonable effort for a thief to make off with your wheels.

If you start it, leave it unlocked because your keys are now in the car, then you are a prime target. I forget exact percentage, but a very high amount of local car thefts occur this way.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
The law does exempt vehicles with a remote start feature.
That is what was reported, yes...
But:Editor's Note: KKTV previously reported that remote start devices were legal because they do not require a key. That information came directly from the Colorado Springs City Government Web site, listed below. Since that time it has come to our attention that the information was erroneously posted by CSPD.
The correct information is that it is unlawful to leave the car running, even with the key out.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:39 PM

2,851 posts, read 1,842,675 times
So CSPD, city government and local broadcast media, collectively do not have a clue as to what is actually being enforced.

Figures...

Old 01-30-2019, 05:42 PM

1,751 posts, read 621,834 times
thanks for your post.
our Malibu has a remote start feature which we have never used.
since the Polar Vortex has conquered Global Warming we shall use it.
again, thank you.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:40 PM

768 posts, read 400,850 times
My understanding is that original law outlawed puffing for all cars, but in 2016 law was amended to exempt cars with remote start.

I’ll continue doing it.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 PM

I couldn't believe it...in every direction...new electric signs at Fillmore and Nevada...it's a full fledged campaign!!!! Tastefully done..on nice curved poles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or