U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM

69 posts, read 36,334 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Some of you may remember me from previous posts here about retiring and moving to Cos and finding an apartment. Originally, I had planned on retiring in August 2018 and moving to Cos in September 2018. Those plans changed and I ended up retiring just before Christmas 2018. Although I had a good career and was thankful for my job, I'm thoroughly enjoying not being in the grind anymore and setting my own daily pace without having to worry about work and it's liberating!

I'll be moving to Cos this coming August 2019. I visited Colorado back in August 2018 to spend time with my son, daughter in law and grandson in the house they bought in Elbert. It's a cute little house and Elbert is such a friendly place! I also reconnected with a long-time friend who I've known since when I was stationed in Germany in the mid to late 70s. She and her husband have been living in Cos for over 20 years. You may have crossed paths with her as she drives a 2000 Lincoln with the vanity plates of "Schatze". She and her husband are helping me in my apartment search and that is of great help to have somebody with the knowledge of Cos to actually visit prospective apartments for me!

"Schatze" called me this past Sunday asking me what part of Cos I would prefer to live in. To me at least, it makes sense to live in the Eastside of Cos, so I'd be closer to my son, daughter in law and grandson in Elbert. Last August when I was visiting, I did drive from Elbert to Cos to visit "Schatze" and her husband and drove in on Route 24 from Falcon. Are the Cos neighborhoods that are near Route 24 decent and the rents affordable? "Schatze" is looking into this, but I thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks in advance!

Also, once I get moved out to Cos and settled into my apartment, I wouldn't mind meeting up at a pub/craft brewery with some of the folks I corresponded to in the previous threads here! Although I do have a few friends, including "Schatze" and her husband, that I've known from my previous stay in Colorado in the early 80s, I'm always up for making new friends!

RV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:05 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,917,702 times
Welcome to the city! Yes, if you plan to go to Elbert frequently, finding an apartment more toward the northeast side of town would make sense.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:43 PM

793 posts, read 413,644 times
Take your time to find a nice place.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,149,516 times
Congrats!

There are some new large apartment complexes near Woodman and Black Forest Road - this is probably the furthest north and east you will find. Here is a link for some of them - not sure how affordable they are for you.
https://www.copperrangeapts.com/
https://www.lodgeblackforest.com/features-amenities.php
https://www.liveatestate.com/

There are more older apartments a little further west down Woodmen Rd, and some up into Briargate, that may be more affordable than the new ones listed. Also more heading south on Powers. There are plenty around. I don't know of any specifically off the highway 24. It is great that you have a friend here who can help look for you. Probably first thing is to narrow down what your budget is and go from there.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:12 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,917,702 times
I don't know the intersections or names, but I noticed a lot of new apartment construction east of Powers up near Northgate and Flying Horse areas....

Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM

793 posts, read 413,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't know the intersections or names, but I noticed a lot of new apartment construction east of Powers up near Northgate and Flying Horse areas....
There are 3 brand new complexes on voyager just north of Interquest, and one south of interquest near the freeway under construction.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Congrats!

There are some new large apartment complexes near Woodman and Black Forest Road - this is probably the furthest north and east you will find. Here is a link for some of them - not sure how affordable they are for you.
https://www.copperrangeapts.com/
https://www.lodgeblackforest.com/features-amenities.php
https://www.liveatestate.com/

There are more older apartments a little further west down Woodmen Rd, and some up into Briargate, that may be more affordable than the new ones listed. Also more heading south on Powers. There are plenty around. I don't know of any specifically off the highway 24. It is great that you have a friend here who can help look for you. Probably first thing is to narrow down what your budget is and go from there.
Thanks beezle1, some nice places there and I left my contact info on their websites so I can get what the rents are and availability! The earliest I can move in will be 9/1/2019 or thereabouts. I'd like to keep my rent around $800 a month but I can go as high as $900 a month.

Last edited by rochester_veteran; 02-06-2019 at 08:20 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
There are 3 brand new complexes on voyager just north of Interquest, and one south of interquest near the freeway under construction.
Thanks otowi and DrDog, I'll ask "Schatze" to check those out! It's good that there's new apartment complexes being built to loosen up the market some. Also, "Schatze" told me that college kids are also looking to rent during the time I'll be ready to move in on 9/1/2019 or thereabouts, and that I might have to rent a place a bit earlier to beat the rush. We'll see how this all works out.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:21 AM

2,870 posts, read 1,871,014 times
Highway 24 and Powers is Cimmaron Hills area. These will be older, 1960-70s era places. Duplex, Fourplex and apartments. Moving north up Powers will bring you to the Stetson Hills and Springs Ranch developments, which went up in the 1980-90s. Much newer with considerable retail support, prices and ammenities will be higher. At the northern end of this in the Woodman Rd area is the newest developments such as Cordera, Wolf Ranch and the vast expanse between the city limits and Black Forest will be the newest and priciest living areas.

Any of these can give you a pretty straight shot east to Highway 24, which you can take to Elbert Road.

Depending on what sort of access to country and urban experiences you want, you might also look at places in Falcon or Peyton. There are not any apartments in Peyton, but you might find some less expensive home rentals in the area.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM

463 posts, read 221,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Thanks beezle1, some nice places there and I left my contact info on their websites so I can get what the rents are and availability! The earliest I can move in will be 9/1/2019 or thereabouts. I'd like to keep my rent around $800 a month but I can go as high as $900 a month.
You won't be on the more-desirable North Side of CS with that budget- a good place to look would be South of Academy/Platte or East of town as previously mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs