U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:17 AM

159 posts, read 221,584 times

Advertisements

Some things to consider: there is an elementary school directly across the street which will be noisy at times. The rental you're considering is 3 blocks from Prospect Lake and Memorial Park, which is known for frequent teenage crime and occasional violent late night encounters. Would not recommend walking the neighborhood at night. No grocery store or restaurants within walking distance.

Check out HotPads for city-wide rental info: https://hotpads.com/colorado-springs-co/houses-for-rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 3,481 times
Thank you all for the insight! This really helped put everything into perspective. I will be flying to Colorado on Sunday to view the property, but I also applied to a nice house in Security that is my new top choice (special thanks to otowi for recommending the area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
See, the thing about crime in Colo Spgs is that whiles its rates are slightly higher, its randomness is far below that of comparable cities. The largest percentage of violent acts in the city occur between parties who now each other. You certainly could find worse areas, but we obviously have better areas.
This is a great perspective, data can be very misleading without the appropriate level of analysis.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,905,037 times
Security, Widefield, and Fountain are often overlooked because they aren't on the north end of the city.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 PM

985 posts, read 1,085,111 times
Default Security, Widefield and Fountain

Quote:
Security, Widefield, and Fountain are often overlooked because they aren't on the north end of the city.
And let's hope those three stay as they are, and not turn into the sprawl that is happening elsewhere. Giving people options besides brand new and maybe more expensive is a good thing.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 AM

5,166 posts, read 6,956,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
And let's hope those three stay as they are, and not turn into the sprawl that is happening elsewhere. Giving people options besides brand new and maybe more expensive is a good thing.
I do have to say there has been a TON of growth down here - lots of homebuilding down this way and increased traffic. Housing prices going up a lot but still some options that may not exist elsewhere in the Springs area.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM

16 posts, read 10,183 times
I found this cute map to be helpful when I was searching for a home in Colorado Springs. The *general* rule is the farther north you go, the crime lessens.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crim...iY0hqGiTQRPBM:

Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 PM

456 posts, read 174,131 times
It takes good people to make a good neighborhood.

Sometimes all people want is a hello or good day, or good morning.

Other times people just want people to dress right

Old 02-19-2019, 12:41 PM

632 posts, read 359,557 times
I probably wouldn't live there. Last summer I went with a friend to walk around the lake several times, and while mostly fine, there were a few things that made me uneasy....namely gang activity and drug dealing, in broad daylight. Lots of trashy parents too, smoking, drinking at 11 on a Tuesday, and ignoring their kids at the playgrounds.

Then, I got lost leaving one day, and ended up in a sort of side street and encountered some sort of car stealing or stripping operation.

Upon further research, it looked like there's some sort of public housing or something across the street from Memorial Park.

But, I'm sure, as always...some people love it and never notice a thing.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:12 PM

10,811 posts, read 6,796,626 times
Quote:
I'll dissent and say the area is not awful. This is the Hillside neighborhood which has been steadily improving the last couple of decades. I wouldn't say it is gentrifying yet, as it still has a way to go.

Its location near Memorial Park and in turn, its proximity to south Circle Drive mean that general the area has a higher than average crime rate. Using the link specifically provided, it also shows a number of domestic violence in some nearby apartments, mischief, and a collection of shots fired, which I bet you could track back to one or two specific incidences. IMO, not particularly violent, but someplace to make sure you are aware of your surroundings and neighbors.

I'd also question the accuracy of this collection of incident reports as looking at my address, there was a stabbing with shots fired practically in my front yard within in the last month. Funny, but I don't recall that happening, and since my wife works from home all day, it didn't occur when she was home to witness such a commotion.

Is it as safe as other areas, no. Will you be subject to random acts of gang violence, highly unlikely. See, the thing about crime in Colo Spgs is that whiles its rates are slightly higher, its randomness is far below that of comparable cities. The largest percentage of violent acts in the city occur between parties who now each other. You certainly could find worse areas, but we obviously have better areas.
I like this post. And the crime map a little upthread was cute, but I don't agree with 100% of its assessments. I had friends in the Skyway neighborhood to the left of 8th St a smidge, that map puts that as a 1%er neighborhood smack against the border of "Here there be dragons, bring firearms!" (lol) but her neighborhood was neither. She was in a very un-pretentious little rancher in a nice (probably a little pricey for what you got) area, but what's funny is I'd never buy anything there because they have bad soil and the foundations were cracking left and right. Wow but still a costly area for some reason, I dunno.

Anyhow.

Security feels sketchy to some folks, too. My ex lives down there and my sons were visiting, and they're older teens now and went for a walk alone to the Community Center and they were hanging out at the park. This old guy came up to them and shared weed with them and tried to give them booze too, and was talking some pretty explicit talk about his uh...exploits with women. I go to pick up my sons and they are high as kites and talking about their weird adventure with the weird old guy at the park. Who my one son's girlfriend is now convinced was "God in disguise." I don't even know anymore... lol... "But did you die?" No. No one died.

Anyhow the reason I like this post is that I've lived in bigger, or denser cities, with real legit crime. Like areas no sensible person even feels quite safe driving through at night. Rust belt cities seem to have some pretty hardcore crime-zones. One city I lived in, had a whole big neighborhood where the prevailing smell is rat urine. Like an uncleaned hamster cage, and you realize what it is...pretty rough. Colorado Springs does not have ANYTHING like that.

I would really avoid areas that are close to Citadel mall, near South Academy & B Street area, and kind of "mostly avoid" anything in the square that is approximately bordered by Union to the west, Powers to the east, Constitution to the north, and Milton Proby to the south. That's not absolute, but just...kind of generally.

Security is alright. I used to live down in Security-Widefield but I lived in one of the nicer neighborhoods. The older parts with the apartments and the little "shoebox ranch" houses as I call them...they're inhabited by a mix of very nice lower-middle-class-income types, blue collar folks, military, retirees, assorted libertarians on a budget and yeah, a few sketchy people here and there.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 PM

882 posts, read 904,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I like this post. And the crime map a little upthread was cute, but I don't agree with 100% of its assessments. I had friends in the Skyway neighborhood to the left of 8th St a smidge, that map puts that as a 1%er neighborhood smack against the border of "Here there be dragons, bring firearms!" (lol) but her neighborhood was neither. She was in a very un-pretentious little rancher in a nice (probably a little pricey for what you got) area, but what's funny is I'd never buy anything there because they have bad soil and the foundations were cracking left and right. Wow but still a costly area for some reason, I dunno.

Anyhow.

Security feels sketchy to some folks, too. My ex lives down there and my sons were visiting, and they're older teens now and went for a walk alone to the Community Center and they were hanging out at the park. This old guy came up to them and shared weed with them and tried to give them booze too, and was talking some pretty explicit talk about his uh...exploits with women. I go to pick up my sons and they are high as kites and talking about their weird adventure with the weird old guy at the park. Who my one son's girlfriend is now convinced was "God in disguise." I don't even know anymore... lol... "But did you die?" No. No one died.

Anyhow the reason I like this post is that I've lived in bigger, or denser cities, with real legit crime. Like areas no sensible person even feels quite safe driving through at night. Rust belt cities seem to have some pretty hardcore crime-zones. One city I lived in, had a whole big neighborhood where the prevailing smell is rat urine. Like an uncleaned hamster cage, and you realize what it is...pretty rough. Colorado Springs does not have ANYTHING like that.

I would really avoid areas that are close to Citadel mall, near South Academy & B Street area, and kind of "mostly avoid" anything in the square that is approximately bordered by Union to the west, Powers to the east, Constitution to the north, and Milton Proby to the south. That's not absolute, but just...kind of generally.

Security is alright. I used to live down in Security-Widefield but I lived in one of the nicer neighborhoods. The older parts with the apartments and the little "shoebox ranch" houses as I call them...they're inhabited by a mix of very nice lower-middle-class-income types, blue collar folks, military, retirees, assorted libertarians on a budget and yeah, a few sketchy people here and there.
So, I'm new to the area and I appreciate what you say about it being nothing like the rust belt / sketchy areas of some cities...I'm from metro Detroit and I'll just say yikes. And I've been in parts of LA, south Dallas, San Francisco etc where I'm like...I think some people have never seen actual ghettos. I can tell there are kinda sketchy areas but it's never felt like driving through parts of Detroit to me.

Anyway, I was going to ask about the areas you say to avoid, union/powers/constitution/milton proby. Am I crazy or is that like...all of east colorado springs lol including Palmer Park? I'm guessing you meant something more precise and I can't read a map :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or