U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 PM

5,711 posts, read 7,816,394 times

Advertisements

Actually the price for the Seven Falls has not gone up since the Hills owned it - I went a few seasons before the closure and it was $15 or $16/person, and when I went when the Broadmoor opened it, it was $14/person. The fancy restaurant that replaced the kitschy tourist gift shop is a little more pricey but there are still a few lower-end things on the menu.

Snow remains down at lower elevations in areas that are well-treed. But for your purposes, if you don't do Pikes Peak you would most likely want to head up US 24 and look for some unless you want to do a fairly athletic hike from down here - treed areas are your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 PM

112 posts, read 65,401 times
ok thanks all Will try out Woodland park. We are planning to do the Golden scenic byway loop. I believe it goes through US 24. Hoping to find some snow there.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 AM

The Gold Belt loop? You might enjoy the stop at the Vindicator trail to see mining relics. There are a few routes down Teller County 1 / High Park Road is the paved option but a bit less scenic, but if you have concerns take it. Shelf Road is literally a shelf with a big drop off in some places so not for everyone, and Phantom Canyon Road is dirt but not quite as 'scary' as the Shelf Road. I think there is more signage of things to see on Phantom Canyon if I recall correctly. Home - Gold Belt Byway

Old 04-15-2019, 12:39 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,244,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srick123 View Post
ok thanks all Will try out Woodland park. We are planning to do the Golden scenic byway loop. I believe it goes through US 24. Hoping to find some snow there.
Judging by your earlier posts, you might find Shelf Road/Phantom Canyon a bit much since you're not used to this kind of driving. As Otowi mentions ... Shelf Road is not for the faint of heart. Phantom Canyon is doable. If you do a search you'll find lots of videos on YouTube of people driving both those roads. You might want to look at them to determine if you'll be comfortable driving either of them.

You'll find that pretty much all the drives in this region will award you with awesome views and places to stop to ooh and ahh and take photos. We've all made suggestions for things you and your kiddies would enjoy, but it seems that finding snow is your main goal. I'm sure you'll find some. Good luck and have fun.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,244,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Actually the price for the Seven Falls has not gone up since the Hills owned it - I went a few seasons before the closure and it was $15 or $16/person, and when I went when the Broadmoor opened it, it was $14/person. The fancy restaurant that replaced the kitschy tourist gift shop is a little more pricey but there are still a few lower-end things on the menu.

Snow remains down at lower elevations in areas that are well-treed. But for your purposes, if you don't do Pikes Peak you would most likely want to head up US 24 and look for some unless you want to do a fairly athletic hike from down here - treed areas are your best bet.
Good to know about Seven Falls - last time I was there seems like the entrance fee was lower, but that was some time ago. I used to like looking at the falls for free from the Mt. Cutler trail.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:47 PM

https://www.visitcos.com/things-to-d...toric-parkway/

This was the loop I was referring to. It says 17 mile loop. Will this be as scary as Shelf road? I would prefer not to drive in a 8 ft wide road which is two way Is this the loop which travels through Hwy 67 - 81 -67?

Yes I did look at some of the videos in youtube. Few looked ok'ish to drive. I am fine if I am driving by the side of the mountain. Scared when I have to drive in the other side of the road which has the unpaved part

Last edited by srick123; 04-15-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:

This was the loop I was referring to. It says 17 mile loop. Will this be as scary as Shelf road? I would prefer not to drive in a 8 ft wide road which is two way Is this the loop which travels through Hwy 67 - 81 -67?

Yes I did look at some of the videos in youtube. Few looked ok'ish to drive. I am fine if I am driving by the side of the mountain. Scared when I have to drive in the other side of the road which has the unpaved part
Ok it looks like it is something other than the gold belt tour and doesn't seem to involve the Shelf Road or Phantom Canyon. Enjoy!

Old 04-15-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I used to like looking at the falls for free from the Mt. Cutler trail.
It is still possible to do that, with the added benefit of being able to watch zip-liners also.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:46 PM

873 posts, read 1,748,564 times
Quote:

I was not aware that the Cripple Creek/Victor/Goldfield loop even had a scenic name. In the gold rush days there was an interurban streetcar line that more or less followed that loop.

Yes, it is a pretty drive on paved two lane roads in good condition. Do be aware that Cripple Creek is 9500 ft. in altitude, and you will be over 10,000 ft. at times.

If coming from Manitou Springs, I would alter it just a bit by taking US 24 to Florissant (stop in the Costello Street Coffee shop if peckish), then take County 1 south to Cripple Creek where you begin the loop. Go on down to Victor (stop in the Gold Camp bakery if you failed to get your snack in Florissant), then back around to Colorado 67 and north to Divide at US 24 again. This will be two and a half hours plus whatever stops you choose to make. Or you could breakfast at the Pantry in Green Mountain Falls, look around Woodland Park, the Heritage Museum in Cripple Creek, Victor, and a scenic overlook or two and probably use up most of the day.

Have a nice visit!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Awesome thanks for the suggestions!! so excited for our visit there... hoping for a good weather !!! Thanks every one of you who had been very helpful in giving insights and helped me plan our trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or