Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times

Advertisements

Hey, the Thunderbirds flew over!! I hope you guys met and got some good pics to post!! I personally can't wait to see them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 AM

180 posts, read 1,186,977 times
After getting down there, the weather just didn't want to lift. Wind and fog just hung in there.

Bush really messed things up, first, closing I25 southbound for around 30 minutes to come in, which caused countless accidents. Then lengthening the ceremonies. Ceremonies were supposed to end at noon, but didn't end until a little after 1pm. Then again, closed southbound I25 for another 30+ minutes during his departure which caused more accidents up north.

I did get stuck in the first closure and ended up getting stopped at Monument where I was able to get off, go to McDonald's who had problems with their ordering system, picked up a sandwich and got back on the freeway pretty much next to the same fed-ex truck that was next to me when I got off. Man, I wish I could share some of the trucker conversation here. It was at least entertaining helping to pass the time.

The field ended up being closed, at least a State Trooper came in and chased me out claiming secret service won't allow people in there. The theater ended up being a pretty bad place to view. So many cars and so many heads in the way. Of course, being in a theater parking lot, what else would you expect. I think the tallest guy there had to stand next to me and I probably missed the only decent shot of one of the T-birds doing a hard turn with a nice vapor trail in trade for a blurry head shot.

I called Charles and COFlower and let them know the conditions once I got down there and they opted to skip coming out, which was a pretty good decision. The T-birds went up about 1:10pm, got there in about 60 seconds and hung out in the clouds. When the ceremonies finished, they did one pass across the stadium together through some still pretty dense fog. Not very good pictures for sure. Bad contrast, bad light, couldn't ask for worse photography.

5 minutes after bush left, the sky opened up to a great blue sunny sky. Go figure.

I'm only going to post 2 cause again, I'm not happy with them.

#6 during the first flyby after take off:

1-6 flying by just past the stadium.

Bush and part of his brigate during his departure. I think the only thing missing was the Oscar Mayer Weenie mobile.

Here's a close up of the Presidential Limo, the windows aren't really tinted. They're just THICK.

Anyone interested in the Blue Angles? They'll be in Grand Junction later this year for 2-3 days. I'll be going there hoping for better weather and certainly a better performance.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
It did just seem like one of those days swampy. Sorry to hear you got stuck in all of that. I was at work, but my office is across i-25 from the academy. We had planned a cook out in the parking lot while watching the Thunderbirds. Only got to see a couple fly by's, given the fog I did not even attempt any pictures.

I'll get to see the Blue Angels when I go to the Cleveland airshow on Labor day weekend. They alternate between Blue Angels and Thunderbirds each year.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 AM

I think those pictures are great! I was expecting a blurry, unrecognizable blob! That shot of the single Thunderbird, well, you can even see his head!
Even the Presidents car, you can see in!
Your waaay too picky!! Of course, I know you are a fantastic photographer but, you are too hard on yourself!! So there!!

What a PIA on the highway!GEEZ! I wish I could have been a "fly on the wall" , so to speak, and heard your conversation with the FedEx driver and all!!! And the sky turning blue 5 min. after the President left,..what a hoot!

Thanks for going and reporting back so we could see, it is an event that we will never see again (not with Bush anyway).

The Blue Angels, my favorite!! When my son was in Pensacola, I had the opportunity to see them, awesome!! My son is in the Navy so, I am a little partial!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Swampy, you came through! I enjoyed your photos. I can't rep you any more until I rep some others... but I tried.
Loved the Bush comment (that's an understatement ). My husband drove to SLC yesterday and traffic was all messed up near Park City. Turns out Bush went there after COS for a $$$$$ plate dinner with Mitt Romney.

I haven't seen the Thunderbirds since the big air show at DIA before it opened. We let a "friend" borrow our videotape of that show and never saw it again. (BTW he's no longer a friend, the jerk.)
We saw the Blue Angels 2 years ago at SeaFair in Seattle. Awesome!!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM

No longer your friend...you crack me up Neditate!!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:55 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The 2009 Thunderbirds show will be Wednesday, 27 May, at Noon and run for 45 minutes or so.

There will be practice flyovers on Tuesday, 26 May, at various times. You'll hear them first.

Graduation Week event schedule. (http://www.usafa.af.mil/superintendent/graduation/?catname=graduation - broken link)

Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
Thunderbirds were out briefly today before the storms started to roll in. Here's a few shots I got today.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
Tuesday is probably the better time to come on base if you want to get some good action of the Thunderbirds. No need to take shots across the highway.

Find a good spot by the Stadium, B-52, or the Chapel. Last year they did some incredibly low fly-by's just over the Chapel...they only do this during practice, not the day of graduation, so if you want a chapel shot, or a close mountain background, tomorrow is your best bet. (weather dependent of course...)

Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
They're in the air again this morning...low level and LOUD. Gotta love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs