Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 28,541 times

Advertisements

My family and I visited Co. while on vacation this summer. I have been there before, but not my husband and kids. We came home and put our house on the market. We decided that Co. is the state for us; still just wanting to make sure that the city we picked is right. We fell in love with Woodland Park the minute we drove up and saw how beautiful it was. I have received a relocation packet from the chamber and view the live city webcams almost daily. Still looks like a dream; we just can't wait for the reality of moving to happen. We are self-employed and are looking for a total life change from how we live here in blazin' hot Texas. Before we move, does anyone have helpful information for us? Everyone talks about the cost of living being so high. We will be renting our first 6 months to a year to get a better feel of exactly what area we want to be in. Looking for some great feedback on Woodland Park.

Thanks - Colobound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 05:09 PM

648 posts, read 2,931,591 times
hey there- Well, I am sure that you are getting slammed w/ lenders and real estate agents, from requesting info from the Chamber. Woodland Park is a great area. You can buy some acreage up there and enjoy it all, especially if you are into the outdoors. I have some friends that are hoping to move up there next year aswell. We have gone up there a few times with them and it is amazing. However, depending where your hubby will work, commute time might be a factor. Also, price range might aswell. What does your hubby do? What size house you hoping for? bashep

Old 12-21-2006, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 28,541 times
Default Colorado Feedback

Thanks for the reply. Well, fortunately enough because we stopped in a got all of the information without leaving them any of our contact info. we have been bombarded. I don't feel the commute will be an issue since we do own our own business and we work it together. Let's just say the service/goods industry. I'm just concerned about the different taxes that we will be paying. Is there really a scenery tax that I have read about? I'm also curious since Woodland Park is a mountain community that everything is more expensive. What's all the buzz about Fort Collins? I know that it ranked No. 1 for one of the best cities to live in. Any input on that area? I sure do appreciate the information.

Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2006, 03:09 PM

53 posts, read 266,904 times
Colobound,

I live in Divide (next town west of Woodland Park) and moved here from San Antonio in late 2001. I'm also now self-employed as an IT consultant and work mostly from home with about 10% travel around the country. I can say that in the 5 years we've been here we don't regret moving from the heat at all! I think the cost of living stayed about the same when you factor state income tax versus high property tax. The gas prices in Woodland are very comperable to Colorado Springs.

I was going to send you the web cam URL, but it sounds like you already have it. You must have been watching the snow carefully these past few days. I can tell you that today the sun is out and it's in the 40's.

One area where it is more expensive in Woodland than the Springs is at the hardware store. There is a Foxworth-Galbraith and a Do-It-Best store - both have hardware - but I try to shop there only when I really need something fast. Great service and friendly people, but it's more expensive than driving to the Springs and shopping at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Also, I don't know if you saw or heard, but Woodland is getting a new hospital that should be open in late 2007 or early 2008. There is also a Wal-Mart being built on the east side of town.

Good luck on selling your current home and an early "welcome" to the neighborhood!

- Jeremy

Old 12-22-2006, 04:04 PM

616 posts, read 2,995,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobound View Post
Is there really a scenery tax that I have read about?
That's just a joke. Some say that is a reason for employers to pay less in wages, since CO is a nice place to live and most want to remain here. I've heard similar things like it for CA and FL, in terms of sunshine. In that respect, I believe we have CA and FL beat, with our 300+ days of it.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:25 PM

648 posts, read 2,931,591 times
Hey Colobound-
You know, I have been up to Ft. Collins a couple times. I loved the trees and smaller town feel, it is a college town. However you can type in "ft. collins" under search and get all the postings on it. I wish I could be more help. bashep

Old 12-26-2006, 06:29 PM

852 posts, read 3,798,951 times
Buddy of mine lived in Woodland Park for a few years before moving down to Colorado Springs. He liked it, but it's kind of isolated (and even colder than the Springs).

Old 12-27-2006, 05:27 AM

188 posts, read 930,649 times
Have been spending time in the Woodland Park area every summer for quite a few now. The people in that area are nice enough, relatively friendly bunch. There's a big altitude difference between there and Texas, will take some getting used to. I am planning to move to Colorado from Kansas in the next couple of years, and plan to stick with a lower altitude like Colorado Springs. You can still easily spend time out there in Woodland whenever you want to.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:38 AM

8 posts, read 40,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobound View Post
My family and I visited Co. while on vacation this summer. I have been there before, but not my husband and kids. We came home and put our house on the market. We decided that Co. is the state for us; still just wanting to make sure that the city we picked is right. We fell in love with Woodland Park the minute we drove up and saw how beautiful it was. I have received a relocation packet from the chamber and view the live city webcams almost daily. Still looks like a dream; we just can't wait for the reality of moving to happen. We are self-employed and are looking for a total life change from how we live here in blazin' hot Texas. Before we move, does anyone have helpful information for us? Everyone talks about the cost of living being so high. We will be renting our first 6 months to a year to get a better feel of exactly what area we want to be in. Looking for some great feedback on Woodland Park.

Thanks - Colobound
I just moved here and I'm amazed its mild even in the winter! None of that cold chill wind that freezes one's ass off that one encounters in the Midwest where the Arctic wind simply roars in unopposed. The Colorado mountains keep out Nature's extremes and make everything equitable year-around. My only complaint is at the high altitude I have to drink more to get used to living here but then again I am a southern California transplant. Having given my initial impressions, I do know I want to live in the mountains just to live differently. I love the views, the fresh clean air and the overall feeling of safety. One soon notices the serenity of mountain Colorado; the beautiful peacefulness is like nothing else in North America. As for Woodland Park, I think its awesome; the main problem is choosing a mountain home in the right location and having seen some, I've decided living miles from the main road is not for me.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 47,577 times
Wink The true "banana belt" of Colorado

Have you ever been south to the Royal Gorge area? I have lived here for over 20 years and can attest that this is truly the climate capital of Colorado. [mod cut] We are about the last remaining undiscovered front range town with cost of living and climate uncomparable. I love newcomers and have made many new friends from all over the country that could live anywhere but chose here! I just didn't want you to miss it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs