Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,807 times

Advertisements

Suzibell

I am the Chairman of the Long Range Planning Committee for Falcon School District #49. Yes, our district is where the new houses are being built, and where the growth will be for the next 20 years.

But, did you know were are in a very conservative area politically, with lots of parental School Choice? Were have more district charter schools (Free) than any other local district. RMCA has a Classical core curriculum and has among the highest test scores of any local school. [url=http://www.rmcad49.org]Untitled[/url]

More parental choice - You can "choice" your child to any of our traditional public schools with availability. We have the accredited public school IB (International Baccalaureate), Technology Focus, and Medical focus programs. A new Pre K-14 model is being considered. (Of course you can also choose to send your child to the traditional Public school in your neighborhood.)

Our school Board and our Long Range Planning committee is thinking outside the box to build schools of excellence, with parental choice at its keystone.

Learn More at: [url=http://www.d49.org]Falcon School District 49[/url]

Parents have major input in the schools in D-49. Yes we are growing, Yes its sometimes crowed in some schools for a few grades, but we are working to have the best school district, the most parental choice possible, with the best educational outcome for all students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 20,889 times
Suzibell by the tone of your post it sounds like you have already made up your mind about d49 schools. Being from out this way we have nothing but positive remarks to say about the school and find the negative comments unbelievable. That isn't to say everything is perfect, but that can be said of every school.

Receiving my masters and doctorate in psychology, makes me think that maybe these 'drawbacks' being referred to are a way some people think it will help our school district stay small and cozy. This kind of living isn't for everyone and every school will have some drawbacks, for us, we like that our school is an IB school and that our children love their teachers, classmates, and this area. The elementary schools are neighborhood schools. Teachers and Principal are easy to contact and we think of them as friends. The only one drawback that I have found is parking - but in all fairness, I think this is how the school wants it - they have a "Kiss and Go" line where parents drop their children off - their teachers actually walk up to the car and open the door for the students and walk them to their door. Then the parking isn't a problem in the middle of the day if one is volunteering or picking up their child early from school.

We love it here and so yes I do get a little protective about this area. Another drawback that some have referred to is distance to Colorado Springs. The zoo is far (about 45 minutes), but the mall and Briargate Shopping Center is about 15 minutes if you know the 2 or 3 roads it takes to get to these places.

Lowe's has paid ALOT of money for the local fire department out here and will build the Falcon Fire Department a 10,000 sq. foot facility and will be building a new Lowe's - Falcon will be building it's own library from what I understand or you can drive about 10 minutes to the library in the Briargate area.

We have a top of the line sleek Wal-Mart recently built - it is absolutely beautiful! (I can't believe I'm saying that about a Wal-Mart - but it truly is!) =-)

Well, good luck to you in your journey - no place is perfect for everyone, it might be a good idea to come and rent before you decide - what is someone's heaven on earth may not be anothers --- as can be seen by the various posts listed here. =-)

Old 08-17-2008, 03:37 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times
Well said Falconmom! Taking pride in your community and school makes your neighborhood and schools great!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM

46 posts, read 118,289 times
These last posts are from 2008..How is district 49 doing this year?
I will be driving out from SC in a few weeks to look for a rental home. I plan on looking in the nothern Colorado Springs, Falcon area and Old Colorado City area.
My daughter is in the 2nd grade, and finding a home in a good school dist. is the most important "must" on my list.
Thank you for any input! I love this site and it has been most helpful!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,157 times
d49 is going through some radical, and frankly, exciting changes, it is trying to become an Innovation school district. Essentially it is challenging the schools to try to implement some really forward thinking strategies to make the schools really great.

The elementary schools do very well, and you have a lot of choice when coming to the district what type of education you'd like- International Baccalaureate, Math/Science, things like that. I have heard good things about: Meridian Ranch, Odyssey.

OCC is d11, and my daughter attends a school (Midland Elem) there. She's currently in 2nd grade, and I've been pleased with the school. She takes French, gym on an almost daily basis, music (and they've been learning piano, which has sparked a huge interest in piano for her), art.

Personally, I feel that many elementary schools are just fine. I would choose an elementary school on the "extras" the schools offer. Example: D12 is a fantastic school district. However, looking at their schools, they do not offer any foreign language (and that is very important to me), and music and art are things that aren't there at the elementary level. I really think exposing the little ones to as much as possible at a young age will help them focus what they want to do later in life!

I also think looking at the middle schools is important; test scores in the elementary age are a bit inflated, and middle school is where it typically tanks.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM

46 posts, read 118,289 times
Thank you for the info. In our current school dist. the kids get gym and spanish only once week, so most any school in Colorado Springs will be an improvement!
How do you like the family vibe of Old Colorado City? Are there lots of neighborhood kids out playing together? That's another concern I have..especially with an only child.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
Old Colorado City is definitely a real neighborhood, not a sterile suburb.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:46 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,157 times
I don't live there, I live downtown; I've "choiced" my daughter into Midland... but the people who do live down there do love it. It has quite a bit of character

Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM

71 posts, read 193,644 times
It's funny to hear someone say that your kids won't like living on 5 acres...I have a 13 year old who wants to live on acreage. We are moving in June and that is one of aspects of moving to a new home that she wants. I suppose it depends on the child, but what could be better than having your children appreciate the outdoors, especially somewhere as beautiful as Colorado? We moved to a master planned community with pools, walking trails, and close neighbors. Guess what? She is only friends with one neighbor kid. In fact, one girl who lived across the street was someone she would have never sought out as a friend, (the child was a little on the wild side), but because we were neighbors, she became friends with her. The friendship was finally terminated by my daughter. If kids are exposed to outdoor activities I think they will appreciate it when they are older. We are focusing out home search to mainly the Black Forest area, which is mostly District 20. The lots are mostly broken into 5 acre lots. There are also lots of trees, which our family would really like. Good luck to you!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM

346 posts, read 549,275 times
We just moved to the Falcon area a little while ago and I have to say I am very pleased with the schools here. (My girls go to Woodmen Hills Elementary and Falcon Middle School.) The district will be cutting about $7 million next year at the direction of the state (as is happening all over) and they have decided to eliminate the district's transportation department; they are now looking at alternative methods of funding the school buses. We have lived in areas where it cost to use the school bus before and I have a feeling we might end up paying next year but I would rather do that than have them cut classroom programs or more personnel.

As a former elementary school teacher and mother of two special needs students I am really picky about my girls' education and so far we love the schools here. Their needs are being met, the special education and classroom teachers have been available and great to deal with and they love going to school. I'm excited to see what the new innovation plan brings!

As for housing here, we are renting in Woodmen Hills but plan to buy out here in the Falcon area (probably in Meridian Ranch) in a year or two. My girls all made friends in this area easily, they love the rec center and being on the golf course (and watching the golfers and the geese!) and we're close to horse ranches that offer lessons and leasing. Falcon was a great choice for our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs