Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 05:31 PM

47 posts, read 50,703 times

Advertisements

@Otowi-- thanks for the input. Any particular order of "decent to better"? Also, how do those three compare in crime rates?

@Mike: Yes, i definitely have to have a garage. Its what I am used to here in Dallas and can't imagine not having my car secured. My fur-child passed away and I don't have any desire to bring in a replacement. Maybe someday in the future, but for now, i have no pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 07:35 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
Fountain/Security/Widefield, while separate, are also kind of one place. They feel like one small town, or at most, two very close small towns. Fountain is an actual city/town while Widefield/Security are unincorporated, so if you live in it you will have the city taxes, etc., so it may be a bit more expensive that way. It has more new construction than Widefield or Security, I believe. Security I think has older homes than Widefield, mostly, but Fountain has a few really old places in its downtown.

Crime rates are all pretty similar. We don't worry about crime too much but just like everywhere else, there are occasional problems of car thieves, porch pirates, domestic violence, etc. I've lived in the area my whole life and never had any issues myself other than one package disappear from my porch in 46 years, but have known or two people who had something like that happen to them.

Fountain school district also includes the nearby Fort Carson army base, while Widefield school district encompasses Widefield and Security and also parts of Fountain like Lorson Ranch.

I grew up in Widefield but live in Security as an adult. For similar age homes, there is essentially no difference in decent to better, etc.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:06 PM

@Otowi: Thank you much for the helpful and descriptive intel. That tells me a lot about the general vicinity. I shall look into housing prospects in that area for sure! Much obliged.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 AM

Question: How does Pueblo compare to CS and Trinidad?

Old 09-23-2020, 07:38 AM

Pueblo has an overall higher crime rate than CS and is generally less expensive but also lower-paying. My friends who live there say you need to pay more attention to what neighborhoods you live in. But it has lots of nice features like Lake Pueblo and the river walk. I think it could be a good compromise between CS and Trinidad with some elements of both in terms of culture, etc. Bigger than Trinidad, smaller than CS. Politically a little left of CS, more blue collar historically as it had the great steel mills back in the day. Pueblo has a decidedly more southwestern flavor and is reknowned for its green chili which is arguably better than Hatch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo,_Colorado#History

Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 AM

Awesome!! Thanks so much otowi! I sure do appreciate your info and link. Any advice on what neighborhoods are considered safer than others in the general Pueblo area?

Old 09-23-2020, 04:10 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid26 View Post
Awesome!! Thanks so much otowi! I sure do appreciate your info and link. Any advice on what neighborhoods are considered safer than others in the general Pueblo area?
We have a couple of posters here who are very familiar with Pueblo. However, they may not be reading this thread since the title asked about Colorado Springs and Trinidad. Perhaps you should start a new thread asking your specific questions about Pueblo.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:43 PM

I'd suggest searching the forum for the existing threads on Pueblo - including in the state level. There are some threads that mention neighborhoods. If you don't find what you need there probably a new post in the state level forum specifically asking about Pueblo neighborhoods might get what you need. I don't know the names of all the neighborhoods enough - but I do know that up near the college CSU Pueblo is nice and the area around the Zoo and nature center also is pretty nice. I think there are some sketchier areas maybe nearer to downtown or the fair grounds as well as due south of the university area, but I could not help you get to a granular level because I think there are good areas around those places, too. There is also Pueblo West, which is kind of a different city, and different feel, than Pueblo itself. Some people seem to really like it and some people have bad things to say about it - so if you're interested maybe ask about it in that new thread.

If you're considering Pueblo -
a few others places to throw in the mix - Canon City, Penrose and Florence which are all a bit West of Pueblo.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:46 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
IIRC Josseppie always said the "Bessemer" area of Pueblo was one to avoid. IIRC there's a tract of old homes near the steel mill where the ground is contaminated with lead.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 PM

Thanks y'all-- just some TX lingo humor I shall follow the thoughtful advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs