U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 14,244 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am looking to relocate and debating the pros and cons of living in Colorado Springs vs. Trinidad. I understand the size and density of both cities, but want to compare the general statistics: weather, crime, cost of living, housing (hope to rent a small house), age and race demographics. Any other helpful tips for someone moving from Texas. Thanks much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 10:31 AM

5,521 posts, read 5,082,057 times
33 threads on Trinidad if you look within next hour.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/sear...rchid=40744811 Or re-create the search.
Over 5,000 on Colorado Springs.

I'll add some stats on Trinidad. 40% white, 55% Hispanic, 5% native and other. Average age is slightly above national average at about 40 years old. 20% are 21 to 34. CS, about 23%. Population of 8,000, down about 12% in last 10 years. Property crime almost double the national average but went down some from 2016 to 2018. Rates are about 1 in 300 will experience theft, 1 in 1000 burglary, 1 in 15,000 robbery per year. Probably can get a 2 bedroom house for $800 - $1000 per month. CS probably $1200-1400, maybe more. Some 1 bedroom houses, probably for less. Trinidad about 17% cheaper cost of living than national average mainly because of housing costs. CS about 5% above average. Many spots in front range or resort Colorado are way above national average.

Climate data https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmco.html
Some thunderstorms either place. Might find how many if you search Google.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-22-2020 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 11:25 AM

22,523 posts, read 41,413,341 times
NW, thanks for trying, but this software does not support canned searches.

Our search tool is easy to use, search with the "advanced" version, with keyword Trinidad, and select to show "titles" only and "threads" only.

General stats on both cities, and thousands more, are already on this site, just click on city-data.com in the upper left hand corner to leave this forum side of city-data and it will take you to the data side of city-data.

It's hard for us to give anyone good advice until you they tell us their rent/buy budget, job situation, school needs, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM

@ NW @Mike. Thank you for the helpful intel.
Ah yes, okay-- Female, single, no pets, no kids, Self-employed/freelance but looking to explore the Self Sustainable Living resources for future opportunities. Rent budget about $1300 for a small house (or townhome with garage). Please feel free to advise further. Safety is definitely the top priority, followed by general cost, then weather, landscape, etc. Thanks

Old 09-22-2020, 12:00 PM

"Self Sustainable Living resources" sounds like living off-grid which our long-time and very experienced regular posters on here will tell you is mostly a pipe dream and extremely rigorous to achieve due to issues of access to water. Just about every drop of water in COLO is "owned" by someone and COLO is the only state that has a "water court" to adjudicate disputes.

I recommend living in COLO SPGS, within the area served by COLO SPGS Utilities (CSU) which is a city-owned outfit that provide all four services (gas, electric, water, sewerage) at very affordable rates compared to other cities. I lived there 11 years and can attest to this good service they provide. CSU has a long term supply of water which obviates that concern.

Your rent budget is doable in COLO SPGS and the city is large enough that it could support most types of freelance opportunities.

Trinidad is known in these forums as a place with some degree of crime, an attitude not all that welcoming to newcomers, and is just sparse as far as housing opportunities. Going to Trinidad from Big D may be a culture shock.

COLO SPGS seems far more hospitable to you and has the population of potential clients with income levels that can support freelancers.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:09 PM

@ Mike: I appreciate that response. Thank you for shedding some insight on the "self sustainable" lifestyle. What are your thoughts on renewable energy and jobs related to that arena in CS?

Old 09-22-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid26 View Post
@ Mike: I appreciate that response. Thank you for shedding some insight on the "self sustainable" lifestyle. What are your thoughts on renewable energy and jobs related to that arena in CS?
There is surely some solar panel work going on in COLO SPGS, and plenty of windmills out east of town on the prairie.

I was a member of this group when I lived in COLO SPGS, they're into the renewable technologies. We used to run annual home tours of renewable installations and building techniques. Here's the state level group.

Pueblo has a Vestas plant turning out those huge windmill blades.

I'm in the Phoenix area these days where plenty of solar work is happening. I tend to think of the Desert Southwest as the Saudi Arabia of sunlight.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:33 PM

Wow.. thank you, Mike! This is all very helpful and what a plethora of information. What neighborhoods do you suggest for CS living--safe, quiet, friendly, reasonably affordable, biggest bang for my buck? Do you know of any realtors or private landlord assisted management companies worth recommending? Or would I be better off just combing thru Zillow/Trulia type listings?

Old 09-22-2020, 02:09 PM

5,851 posts, read 7,970,752 times
Biggest bang for your buck in terms of how much house and space you get is probably in Fountain/Security/Widefield still, but the margin is tightening.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:15 PM

Realtors in COLO don't do rentals, you're pretty much on your own with the websites for rentals, though realtor.com has rentals, like this search in COLO SPGS for SFHs.

With a dog and a freelance vocation I'm guessing a SFH is your best bet to have the flexibility to do the freelance thing.

Because of the hail storms here you should look for a home or place that has a garage or covered parking.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-22-2020 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or