Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 12:25 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
There are plenty of fat, non-judgemental people living here, and some of them are active outdooorsy folks. You'll be fine. But as many suggest, it's a good idea to visit for a bit to see how you do at our altitude.
And, "a bit" should be longer than a couple days -- some people struggle for breath at first but get used to it after a few days, others find it doesn't get better with time, and some unfortunate people find their symptoms get worse the longer they are here (persistent migraines, etc). Anyway, besides the altitude issues, if you're considering a move it's good to take some time to look around town first, take stock of the employment and housing situation here, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 04:48 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
There are plenty of fat, non-judgemental people living here, and some of them are active outdoorsy folks. You'll be fine. But as many suggest, it's a good idea to visit for a bit to see how you do at our altitude.

If you really want to be amongst a more liberal, artsy, laid back (and smaller) community, you might want to look at Manitou Springs, where the aforementioned coffin races along with a host of other crazy activities take place. We have a Fruitcake Toss where people devise crazy catapults to do away with unwanted Christmas fruitcakes. This is a town that also houses several ministries ... but they will not bother you.
Well, no - I'm gay but not liberal (for those who want to yell at me for being right wing... no, I'm a registered and active Libertarian) and not in the least artsy or crazy. In reality, I'm probably about a year away form yelling "get off my lawn, whippersnappers".

At this point there's no extended time I'll be able to take (we have a 'use it or lose it" PTO plan at work so as of January 1, my balance is zero) so I'll just have to wing it and hope I'll have some when it comes time to interview there for something.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
At this point there's no extended time I'll be able to take (we have a 'use it or lose it" PTO plan at work so as of January 1, my balance is zero) ...
$69 flts at SWA PHX>COS (dates 18 Jan - 18 May 2022), sale ends tomorrow night (6 Jan 2022)
Use Low Fare Calendar page
https://www.southwest.com/html/offer...redirect=false

Book a few flights when you might be able to get away for a long weekend, Cancel if needed, up until 10 min before departure. (=1 yr flt credit from booking date)

I was the king of 'Time-off-without-pay' during my 30+ yrs in the salt mines. Since I worked nights, I could arrive back in town a few minutes before my shift and really stretch out the vacations to maximum duration.

COS is worth a look - see

Old 01-06-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$69 flts at SWA PHX>COS (dates 18 Jan - 18 May 2022), sale ends tomorrow night (6 Jan 2022)
Use Low Fare Calendar page
https://www.southwest.com/html/offer...redirect=false
Thanks for researching that for me. It could be months before I get to visit tho.

Last edited by Adamson865; 01-06-2022 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-07-2022, 07:00 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
I am a Nature I love the outdoors and mountains around Tucson and Colorado Springs, I would Choose COS over Tucson for that reason and there is a lot more to do in Colorado especially in the warmer months. If you don't mind the very cold snow days now and then. When they invented the vehicle that you can start with the heater on with a remote that will be ready by the time you get out the door to go to work I thought " Yes ! " no more getting up 30 mins early to brush the snow and scrape the windshield.
One thing to be aware of is Hail storms, hail damage to my car, I have never had a car that was not damaged by hail while living in the Denver -Colorado springs area. My bother has faired better than me though. I bought a white car and it got a lot of hail damage but from a few feet away from you really could not tell. I would have to replace my windshield once every year though due to driving behind semi-trucks on the highway, the flying gravel was like a speeding bullet.
hope you get a chance to see COS .

Old 01-07-2022, 07:18 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
I am a Nature I love the outdoors and mountains around Tucson and Colorado Springs, I would Choose COS over Tucson for that reason and there is a lot more to do in Colorado especially in the warmer months. If you don't mind the very cold snow days now and then. When they invented the vehicle that you can start with the heater on with a remote that will be ready by the time you get out the door to go to work I thought " Yes ! " no more getting up 30 mins early to brush the snow and scrape the windshield.
One thing to be aware of is Hail storms, hail damage to my car, I have never had a car that was not damaged by hail while living in the Denver -Colorado springs area. My bother has faired better than me though. I bought a white car and it got a lot of hail damage but from a few feet away from you really could not tell. I would have to replace my windshield once every year though due to driving behind semi-trucks on the highway, the flying gravel was like a speeding bullet.
hope you get a chance to see COS .
Hail, wind, and fire.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:04 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Well, no - I'm gay but not liberal (for those who want to yell at me for being right wing... no, I'm a registered and active Libertarian) and not in the least artsy or crazy. In reality, I'm probably about a year away form yelling "get off my lawn, whippersnappers".

At this point there's no extended time I'll be able to take (we have a 'use it or lose it" PTO plan at work so as of January 1, my balance is zero) so I'll just have to wing it and hope I'll have some when it comes time to interview there for something.
We have libertarians as well ... I spend most of my summers yelling at tourists to please not park so close to my driveway.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:11 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if the fat might be beneficial, at least in the short term, like the first winter! My blood has thinned out while living in the desert, so my extra insulation might help me cope in the cold. Think of whale blubber.

As an example: Last year, Tucson International dropped below freezing a grand total of two times.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:11 PM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
OP, have you made any progress towards moving to the Springs?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-23-2022 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
OP, have you made any progress towards moving to the Springs?
No, still in a holding pattern waiting for a job to open up - but thanks for asking.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-23-2022 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs