Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 08:42 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times

Advertisements

well ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Well, I spent entirely too much time writing a long reply here, so I deleted it and will just say this:

We are now living, again (our second time), back in Colorado, but the northern part this time. Wife and I are almost in our mid 70's, have been back for 3 years, and are planning on leaving again. With my shoulder arthritis pain (from a rotator cuff surgery on each shoulder), and that we are some 14 years older now than when we left Colorado in 2007, winters are becoming harder and harder for us to withstand.

We lived in Jacksonville, Florida for 10 1/2 years, before moving back to Colorado.

Colorado Springs, or anywhere along The Front Range is great to many and not so great anymore to others. But, one thing for sure, you'll have to get use to the elevation, of which we never had a problem, and the winters, of which, when we lived in Colorado before and now, blizzards, snow storms and, at times, below zero weather. This last April, here, just south of Ft Collins, it was minus 12 degrees (-12) at 7AM.

There are those that couldn't end up handling the elevation or the winters and moved to another state. That is just fact. Then, there are those that don't have any problems with either.

There are quite a number of folks, our age and yours, that live in Colorado, but do very little during the winter months, just as we do.

Good Luck!
When we retired we thought we’d stay in Denver, but as we got closer to the actual date we started thinking about the weather on the Front Range. Mainly the big snows, seemingly earlier and later snows than usual and the traffic issues as a result. We are outdoor people and the snow got in the way of our hiking and biking.
We wanted to stay in Colorado so we started kicking the tires elsewhere in the state and eventually decided on Grand Junction. We’ve been here now almost four years and love it. We get occasional light snow, but nothing like the Front Range. We enjoy being able to be outside most of the year. Summers are hotter, but they are far easier to get used to with the low humidity than having big snow events in winter.
We see many folks older than us on the trails out here. The elevation is lower and the weather better. It works well for us.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:19 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well renting first is what I decided to do but when I started searching the fact that I have 2 dogs & 2 cats is an issue. Some say 2 pets maximum, some have weight limits also. One of my dogs is 4 pounds and the other is around 45-50 when the maximum weight for dogs seems to hover between 25-35 pounds.

I'll see if my son who lives there can help me find something.
Some landlords are ridiculous when it comes to renting to pet owners. I understand that not everyone is responsible with their pets, but I also see pet-owning renters being taken advantage of. If someone has good references from former landlords, you'd think that would count for something. The extra cost incurred on top of the first and last month deposits can make things difficult for some.

Good luck with your search. Don't forget to check out ppar.com.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:42 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
OP~ I think the weather change may be a bit more than you recall.

Also, (and this is a biggie,) is altitude and your blood oxygen levels. (Get a cheap meter.)

Sitting watching TV, not so much (yet.) But, go on a mild hike or even exercising briefly is going to get you winded, bigtime. Especially if your asthmatic or have other respiratory limitations. These may have been hiding, while you're at sea-level, but they may rear their ugly head at 6000 ASL.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:12 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~ ...

Also, (and this is a biggie,) is altitude and your blood oxygen levels. (Get a cheap meter.)

Sitting watching TV, not so much (yet.) But, go on a mild hike or even exercising briefly is going to get you winded, bigtime. Especially if your asthmatic or have other respiratory limitations. These may have been hiding, while you're at sea-level, but they may rear their ugly head at 6000 ASL.
EXACTLY...and I was living proof of that.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:23 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Well, I'm back. It's April and the temps are already around 90. The humidity isn't as bad as it will be soon but I'm already dreading the long, hot, humid summer which won't end until around November. And hopefully no hurricane this year.

My son was here for a short visit to see his cousin's first baby and when he left Cape Coral and landed in Colorado Springs it was snowing! He told me it was great not to always be sweating. I hate sweating except if I'm at the gym, laying out by the pool or "being active".

Interest rates are still up, and renting is still on the table. Will see if my son has any connections with a realtor who can give me some ideas about what I could rent with 2 dogs and 2 cats. My son was telling me how him and his partner going hiking somewhere different almost every weekend and they were skiing the beginning of April. While I didn't love C.S. because of the size, I loved Manitou Springs. Are there places in Colorado within an hour of C.S. that has more of a small town feel but still close to stores & medical care?

My income with the lastest S.S. & V.A. increases is around $5900 a month.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:07 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
While I didn't love C.S. because of the size, I loved Manitou Springs. Are there places in Colorado within an hour of C.S. that has more of a small town feel but still close to stores & medical care?

Manitou is neat but also very trendy, so housing prices there could be a little higher than you want. Woodland Park is a little bit farther northwest on US 24; it's at a higher elevation than COS and gets a little more wintry weather.

I used to live in the Springs back in the 70s and loved it. When I moved back to CO for retirement, COS had gotten too large and sprawling for me. I ended up in Cañon City, which is about 45 miles from the south side of the Springs and 40 miles from Pueblo. Cañon is a quiet town of about 15,000 on the Arkansas River, elevation 5300' (1k lower than COS). It has basic shopping, restaurants and medical care; housing is a good bit cheaper than the Springs. Just a few miles east of Cañon is Florence, another quiet town of about 5k population. I know MANY people who retired to this area from Denver/COS because they were tired of the rat race and the sprawl.

Good luck with your search!!

Old 04-24-2023, 01:03 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Well, I'm back. It's April and the temps are already around 90. The humidity isn't as bad as it will be soon but I'm already dreading the long, hot, humid summer which won't end until around November. And hopefully no hurricane this year.

My son was here for a short visit to see his cousin's first baby and when he left Cape Coral and landed in Colorado Springs it was snowing! He told me it was great not to always be sweating. I hate sweating except if I'm at the gym, laying out by the pool or "being active".

Interest rates are still up, and renting is still on the table. Will see if my son has any connections with a realtor who can give me some ideas about what I could rent with 2 dogs and 2 cats. My son was telling me how him and his partner going hiking somewhere different almost every weekend and they were skiing the beginning of April. While I didn't love C.S. because of the size, I loved Manitou Springs. Are there places in Colorado within an hour of C.S. that has more of a small town feel but still close to stores & medical care?

So sorry you've still not been able to make the move. As suggested, you may want to check out Florence and Canon City. They're not far, and Florence especially is a beautiful drive. Canon City has grown considerably over the last few years. I'm not sure what the real estate picture is like there, but check it out. Penrose might be a possibility ... it's a small town you go through before getting off of Rt. 115 to Florence. There's not a lot there (Coyote Cafe is great), but Canon City is less than a half hour away.

Last edited by mtngigi; 04-24-2023 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-25-2023, 06:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Thank you everyone!

Old 04-25-2023, 07:57 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Canon City has grown considerably over the last few years. I'm not sure what the real estate picture is like there, but check it out.
Actually, CC has largely been spared the explosive growth that much of the state has suffered through since 2000. During that time, the town's population has grown a modest 8.4%. Colorado Springs and Denver, on the other hand, have each grown by over 30%.

Last edited by jsherman9901; 04-25-2023 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs