U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 PM

83 posts, read 743,383 times
Smile How is the Job Market for New Teachers?

Hello, I am considering a move to Colorado Springs from Michigan, How is the job market for middle school or high school social stuides? I just finished college in Michigan (K-12 SS), please reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 02:23 PM

650 posts, read 1,986,792 times
hey there-

I am not sure how the market is, but you can go to www.coloradosprings.com or greatschools.net and apply on the district websites. I don't think they start posting for jobs for next year until February, cuz that is when the teachers renew their contracts. let me know if you have any other questions. Also check out The Classical Academy, they are in D-20, but you have to apply for a job on their website. bashep

Old 01-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the site, I have done a little research but am confused on how the districts are organized; in Michigan they are divided by city and township lines but they are numbers here! Is it true that the city itself is nice to live in and growing?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM

The city assigns district lines and "tries" to make it so that you go to school near your home. However, that is not that often anymore.

I have lived in Colorado Springs all of my life and love it. My kids love it here too. I think you will enjoy living here and working here!

Keep the questions coming...
SHEP

Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 PM

I have actually been looking into this area for a few weeks for several reasons but now I am less concerned with living there but other things like going from being Michigan certified to Colorado certified. I was on another forum where I was told that this is a very long and extensive step, is this true? If so where do I begin and does not having this completed hurt my chances of getting a job in the next few months? Are there any decent paying other types of job in the area for a new teacher that I could possibly use as a transition? Please let me know what you think or maybe even your own experiences?

Old 01-08-2007, 03:01 PM

You know, I do not know long the process takes. I will look into that. My kids go to "The Classical Academy" and the teachers do NOT have to be certified there. So, you could apply there and then see if they have something while you get certified. I will look into it tonight and let you know. I have a friend that is getting certified I will ask her. bashep

Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 AM

I have been doing a great deal of research and found that the fact that I am alreadly certifed in Michigan makes things much easier. I spoke to someone at the University of Colorado that said there is still a great deal of paperwork involved and was encouraging me to attend job fairs in the areas in early April. I am wondering if I should wait untill then to move that way or just go ahead and go for it. I have a lot of money saved up to live off but should probably still have a back-up plan though, regardless the advise/comments are helping, thanks

Old 01-10-2007, 06:39 AM

11 posts, read 50,852 times
James9283,
I'm glad to read that you're in the same boat as me and will hopefully get some great advice and answers to your questions. I am Texas certified and wonder how long the process is to get certified in Colorado, too. Do we have to take a test, too? I have 10 years experience in the Dallas area schools.
I haven't been able to find the pay scale for Teachers in the Woodland Park area. Would you happen to know where I can find this information?
Good luck to you! You're lucky that you can move there and live off of your savings. I wish I could do the same.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I got a great deal of certification and other questons from the University of Colorado alumini/career services site. I plan on attending a few job fairs in the Bolder, Denver, and Colorado Springs area. As far as reciprocity for your Texas certificate it is more of a time consuming paperwork issue, which you can get all the info you need from the Colorado Dept of Ed site. These job fairs are not for a few more months and most job openings are probably also a few months away, just to let you know. Let me know if you find anything else!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 PM

1,929 posts, read 4,164,421 times
Just wanted to post an update here because I see this thread is linked to "key topics". The teacher market is currently flooded. For every position, there is close to 150-200 applicants, very qualifed applicants. Please teachers, secure your job before choosing to come here. With the budget crisis, few districts are hiring this coming school year. Some are even closing their doors to substitute/guest teacher applicants. Please check back the following school year in late March/Spring Break time for future positions. If you still want to check for this school year, the following districts are hiring: Fountain Fort Carson school district 8, Academy School district 20, and Lewis Palmer school district 38. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs