Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 11:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calthrina950 View Post
I'm keeping count of the number of moths I've killed. That number now stands at eleven. I killed my ninth this morning, just before I got into the shower, in my bathroom, and two more this evening. I wouldn't be surprised if the number gets to 20 or even 30 by the time they are finished migrating.
Why are you and other people killing them? They're migrating pollinators and they're a very important food source for other wildlife. What harm are they doing to humans when they're migrating and will be leaving the area very, very soon? It's not like they're going to stay. They aren't laying eggs, they aren't eating crops or anything else except nectar from flowers during their migration and they're pollinating flowers everywhere they stop as they migrate. So what's the big problem with migrating Miller moths?

I don't get it. First people destroy the Monarchs, now people destroy the Millers.

Are you people afraid of nature or do you just enjoy killing things?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 07:07 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why are you and other people killing them? They're migrating pollinators and they're a very important food source for other wildlife. What harm are they doing to humans when they're migrating and will be leaving the area very, very soon? It's not like they're going to stay. They aren't laying eggs, they aren't eating crops or anything else except nectar from flowers during their migration and they're pollinating flowers everywhere they stop as they migrate. So what's the big problem with migrating Miller moths?

I don't get it. First people destroy the Monarchs, now people destroy the Millers.

Are you people afraid of nature or do you just enjoy killing things?

Most people don't like them in their homes, and once they are in there their migration is over anyway. I personally don't kill them. I try to catch them by putting a cup over them and then slide a piece of cardboard under it when I have them trapped, then I put them back outside.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:28 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,857,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Most people don't like them in their homes, and once they are in there their migration is over anyway. I personally don't kill them. I try to catch them by putting a cup over them and then slide a piece of cardboard under it when I have them trapped, then I put them back outside.
Agree ... if they're inside your home, that's as far as they're getting. If there's lots of them, trying to catch and release could get old.

I thought they weren't in my neighborhood, but as I'm outside using and moving garden stuff around, cleaning the porch and yard, they're everywhere. I pick something up and they come flying out. So far haven't spotted any in the house. I think the birds are taking care of most of them.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:30 PM

37 posts, read 15,781 times
Quote:

Agreed. And the number we have killed is now up to eighteen. I killed five today alone, and my stepmother killed two.

Old 05-17-2023, 06:54 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,344 times
Had about 20 in my house last night.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:18 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Is there another way to kick them out of the house? They're too fast for the cup and there are too many.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
I turn a light on in one room all night so they go there. I catch and let go if they are on my TV or in a window.
Easy peasy. (I don't have that many) ..I unplugged my 7watt night lights.
At least they aren't those huge Hummingbird moths!!!

Time for Yellow light bulbs outside today!

Old 05-17-2023, 10:03 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
They seemed to have come in much earlier this year, at least in the upper part of the state. Early May rather than the end of May. It's weird how different they are from the thousands of other species of moths, which do not try to come inside.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
WHAT a diff after I put in the yellow outdoor bulbs!! Yay!

Old 05-18-2023, 04:26 PM

37 posts, read 15,781 times
The number of dead moths in my house is now up to 20. I flushed out one this morning, that was already dead, and killed another this evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs