Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanePatrick View Post
I am in Ca reading this - I was doing research because I wanted to see what the city is like - I've never been to Colorado Srings, but after reading the negative remarks about Californians, I don't think I would go there. Actually - I know of several Colorado transplants - and we don't need any more people out here. Why was I researching? I'm sick of CA and all the crowds, crime, etc - (much of our crowding here has been from people coming from other States and yes, So. of the border).

Also, regarding the flips, appraisal fraud etc - the bills haven't stopped it yet. SB223 was passed here to prevent brokers/loan officers from influencing appraisers - however they still will not hear the truth when we tell them the value isn't there or we can't get a valuel they want - they still say "skippy" says he can get the value so we'll just call him, and then skippy gets the value for them. We have TONS for foreclosures out here many stemming from the speculators of the last few years. (I am an appraiser - 22 yrs experience) and yes, I still want to leave CA but I would want to go to a welcoming state, where people are friendly - not sure where though.
First of all, where did you read negative remarks about Californians? I've read just about every post on City-Data forums Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Denver for the past year. I moved from LA to COS about 1.5 years ago. I don't know what you are writing about.

Second, your last paragraph doesn't make any sense. "...they still say "skippy" says he can get the value so we'll just call him, and then skippy gets the value for them...." WTF does this mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 06:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Second, your last paragraph doesn't make any sense. "...they still say "skippy" says he can get the value so we'll just call him, and then skippy gets the value for them...." WTF does this mean?
It means that "Skippy" the appraiser would always give 'em the inflated valuations they needed to float the loan, so if you wouldn't do it for 'em, they'd just call Skippy.

Now, I wonder, where is Skippy to be found when the bank officers are trying to understand why that foreclosed REO house won't sell at anywhere near the value Skippy gave 'em?

What goes around comes around. Well isn't that just darned skippy, as they say...

Cheers

Bob

Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanePatrick View Post
I am in Ca reading this - I was doing research because I wanted to see what the city is like - I've never been to Colorado Srings, but after reading the negative remarks about Californians, I don't think I would go there. Actually - I know of several Colorado transplants - and we don't need any more people out here. Why was I researching? I'm sick of CA and all the crowds, crime, etc - (much of our crowding here has been from people coming from other States and yes, So. of the border).
I'm with Charles on this. He's new to the area (well according to my standards ) but seriously, the whole "California/Texas" thing has been blown out of proportion. I have written on this in the past and I will tell you that it's not a big deal. Even old-timers (guess I am beginning to be one) are pretty much in agreement that it's not a problem.

What had been the problem was in the late 80s when many Texas companies who were heavily invested in Colorado real estate went belly up. There was also some resentment way back then because of the increase in real estate prices because many came from California to Colorado because land pricing was (and still remains) so much cheaper.

Times have changed and most Coloradans who have lived here for a good amount of time see that newcomers to our area are not much different than they are. I've lived here all my life and have never had a bone to pick with Californians, heck I have family that live in CA.

Not sure who you've been reading but by and large, those that frequent these forums on a regular basis love this state and wouldn't turn on someone at the mention of CA.

Okay then, if you feel you wouldn't want to live here based on maybe one or two negative comments on a website, then more power to you. Most people I know who are long time residents or "natives" like myself are pretty nice and open minded. Heck, Colorado Springs is probably the most diverse city in the state because we do have the military here. We have people living here from all over the world because of the military. If we were so closed off, I highly doubt that the Defense Department as well as the US Olympic committee would stay here.

Those that might poopoo those from California are probably those that moved here in the 80s and 90s and want to close the gate. This is a common thing when people migrate from other areas...they've found their place in paradise and suddenly everyone else has found it too. They don't want paradise ruined and are pretty vocal. But with the transient population here in Colorado Springs, I highly doubt the validity of finding people against Californians unless they are drive-by ramblings of someone that has no intent to remain on a forum like this.

Posting and quality...look for it.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
I'm with Charles on this. He's new to the area (well according to my standards ) but seriously, the whole "California/Texas" thing has been blown out of proportion. I have written on this in the past and I will tell you that it's not a big deal. Even old-timers (guess I am beginning to be one) are pretty much in agreement that it's not a problem.

What had been the problem was in the late 80s when many Texas companies who were heavily invested in Colorado real estate went belly up. There was also some resentment way back then because of the increase in real estate prices because many came from California to Colorado because land pricing was (and still remains) so much cheaper.

Times have changed and most Coloradans who have lived here for a good amount of time see that newcomers to our area are not much different than they are. I've lived here all my life and have never had a bone to pick with Californians, heck I have family that live in CA.

Not sure who you've been reading but by and large, those that frequent these forums on a regular basis love this state and wouldn't turn on someone at the mention of CA.

Okay then, if you feel you wouldn't want to live here based on maybe one or two negative comments on a website, then more power to you. Most people I know who are long time residents or "natives" like myself are pretty nice and open minded. Heck, Colorado Springs is probably the most diverse city in the state because we do have the military here. We have people living here from all over the world because of the military. If we were so closed off, I highly doubt that the Defense Department as well as the US Olympic committee would stay here.

Those that might poopoo those from California are probably those that moved here in the 80s and 90s and want to close the gate. This is a common thing when people migrate from other areas...they've found their place in paradise and suddenly everyone else has found it too. They don't want paradise ruined and are pretty vocal. But with the transient population here in Colorado Springs, I highly doubt the validity of finding people against Californians unless they are drive-by ramblings of someone that has no intent to remain on a forum like this.

Posting and quality...look for it.
Also, in Colorado Springs it might not be so "in your face" as it might be in Denver. I could see resentment if the Lakers came to play the Nuggets and half the people were rooting for the Lakers. Same for the Dodgers at the Rockies, Kings at Avalanche, etc. I would never do that even though I still care about the LA teams. I hated it when I was at Dodger Stadium against the mets and half the fans were rooting against the Dodgers. It reminded me of who was causing the bumper to bumper traffic on the freeways in LA. Even more reinforcement was being in bumper to bumper traffic in LA behind some dude with an I LOVE NY sticker. That sucks.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Quote:
Also, in Colorado Springs it might not be so "in your face" as it might be in Denver. I could see resentment if the Lakers came to play the Nuggets and half the people were rooting for the Lakers. Same for the Dodgers at the Rockies, Kings at Avalanche, etc. I would never do that even though I still care about the LA teams. I hated it when I was at Dodger Stadium against the mets and half the fans were rooting against the Dodgers. It reminded me of who was causing the bumper to bumper traffic on the freeways in LA. Even more reinforcement was being in bumper to bumper traffic in LA behind some dude with an I LOVE NY sticker. That sucks.
Charles, I lived in Denver and I do go to Broncos games (occasionally the Rockies, never been to an Avalanche game though I soooo want to but not a fan of basketball so whatever the Nuggets do, eh not a fan). I've been to Broncos games where a few oppositional fans come to watch and other than their obvious love for the other team, most Broncos fans are pretty tolerant.

Heck, been a few Broncos/Raiders games in my life and even then, Broncos fans have been very tolerant. I am a self-confessed "Raider Hater" but when I see them at the stadium, I have no problem with them. They may like their team but it doesn't affect me as I am as orange as the sunset when it comes to loving my Broncos.

But seriously, I think the woman who is reportedly an author (I am a writer myself) has only focused on a couple of postings here. She hasn't really read and if she's that much of an author or a writer, she's really deficient in comprehension. You as a relative newcomer to the area knows that the "California" thing is pretty much relegated (sp) to those that want to shut the doors or have no possibility for validity because they post, run along and never post again. If they do it's usually to run around a forum complaining because their lives revolve around things (I'm thinking about the recent posts by the chick that was jailed and how butt hurt she was by the legal system here) that are perhaps less than upstanding citizens. Er something like that.

Anyhow, as Colorado changes, so does the rest of the world but mostly, Colorado is filled by those that are pretty new to our state. I mean new in the manner that they've moved here in the last 20 years. But most people here are pretty nice, open and not buttheads.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:48 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,574 times
I'm a native of Denver, been here 51 years and personally never had ill will or bad feelings toward Texans or Californians. In fact I've found that most who move here from TX, CA & FL aren't even originally from there. It's usually those who move here from elsewhere, stay a few years and declare "I'm here now, but you don't deserve to be, go home!" Anyway, from one native son to any and all who want to come to Colorado, a hardy "Welcome!"

Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 AM

268 posts, read 1,129,837 times
Quote:
being in bumper to bumper traffic in LA behind some dude with an I LOVE NY sticker. That sucks.

I always love people like this. I wonder if they love said place so much, why aren't they there anymore. Apparently hating where you live is the "in thing" these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs