Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM

115 posts, read 458,455 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow will be a week since I have arrived to permanently live in the Springs. I really think I am going to like it here in fact I may love it here. My goal was to get out of living in a small town in the south. We only had one grocery store, one Wal-Mart, one major road going thru town, nothing really to do, had to drive an hour to do any shopping or to see a good Docter and not many job opportunities for teens. But also never any traffic.
Though I believe I will love it here, it is quite overwhelming with all the stuff I wanted. So many places to shop I am too overwhelmed to go shopping. The traffic - Wow!
The weather has been on the cool side for the most part. I think we had one nice day but I was house searching so I didn't really get to go out and enjoy it as much as I would of liked to. I did enjoy waking up one morning to find blue skies and seeing fresh snow on Pikes Peak. That was beautiful. Actually we have had some nice days but the wind was cold.
I have not had any problems breathing. My eyes have been really puffy though. No sinus problems exept when I try to sleep with the windows open at night. My sinuses will swell so I put the A/C on and it helps. I have had some great hair days if I do say so myself due to no more humidity like in the south.
A little bit of depression as set in but I think once we get into a house in July and I get used to everything and really get out to enjoy the outdoors I do believe I will love it here. I just feel a little lost right now.
There are alot of people here and lots of many types. I have read before how people are concerned how they would be accepted here if they are different in any way. I don't think it matters just come here and be you. If someone doesn't accept you then they weren't worth knowing anyhow.
Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times
Welcome to town lildreamer! You will find the Springs to be an inviting and accepting place to live.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Thank you Kar54!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
You will love it here. I'm so sick and tired of the people that say they hate it here, there's nothing to do, blah blah. Let me be the first on to get them on a first class flight out of here. More room for me then.

But anyway, welcome to COS.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Welcome LilDreamer, you're gonna LOVE Colorado.

Traffic here is a fraction of what it is in DC, Atlanta, L.A., Boston, etc.

Traffic in Denver is a good deal more hectic than here, too, but generally I've found Denver a piece of cake after 30 years in DC.

If your sinus's swell, they probably need moisture, consider using a saline spray. Be sure the house has a whole-house humidifier before winter comes.

Get out and enjoy the town, hit the farmer's markets that will be popping up soon. Use the search tool to find tons of info here on food or things to do. Take a day trip to Canon City to the Royal Gorge Theme Park. Try and make it to the State Fair in Pueblo later in the summer, and/or the El Paso County Fair out in Calhan, in July I think. Check out Garden of the Gods over on the west side of town, it's free, and be sure to get some Bison Burgers at Ted's Montana Grill or Bison Pot Roast at the Stagecoach Inn in Manitou Springs. A ride up the Cog Railway is a must, but wait for a HOT day, as it's always 30 degrees cooler up there, and take the binoculars / camera and a jacket is usually a smart idea, even if it's 80 here, it's 50 up top and blowing strong. We have minor league baseball (Skysox) just down Powers Blvd at Barnes, best seat is only $9 and there are so many giveaways it isn't funny.

So MUCH here to see and do, you'll be busy for a LOOOOONG time.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM

aahh, thanks everbody! I appreciate you welcoming me. I would love to go to a Farmers Market. How do I find out about them? I haven't even seen a newspaper since I have been here. What and when do I get newspapers that let me know what is happening? I would hate to miss something fun. I do plan on going to Canon City soon to do the Royal Gorge Railroad. I wasn't aware of a theme park there. We also want to go there to try white water rafting - one for the family, I do have a nine year old. We just bought some good hiking shoes yesterday. My husband will be off of work for a few days, I am hoping for some good weather so that we can hit some trails. Today ended up being a beautiful day. I really needed it. It perked me up some. Yesterday I did drive to Manitou Springs for a quick peek. My daughter loved the arcade, I thought it was great too. I loved seeing the old games. My seventeen year old son found Kinfolks where there was live music. We really enjoyed that. My son also went downtown Friday night to listen to some live music in one of the coffee houses. He is already loving it here. Though I have been overwhelmed and in a little depression because of the change, it is all good. Yes, I know we will love it here!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
You'll get over that as soon as you make some friends here. Oh, and the town you described? Sounds exactly like the one I came from. One Walmart, one main road, and not a damn thing to do. I think when I left, there was 20,000 ppl left in the town.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM

Ryan, the town I came from had less than 5,000. I know it will get better. I just looked out the window and today is already such a beautiful day, maybe we will go to Garden of the Gods today.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
LilDreamer, use google, it can find ANY thing.

State of CO list of farmer's markets, yet I know it's not complete as markets are held also in Briargate, Monument, Gleneagle and Manitou as well as what's listed. Colorado Farmers Markets and Fruit Stands

Last year's list of markets from the Gazette, the primary paper in town. The other paper in town is the Independent.
Life: FRESHEN UP: Farmer's Markets | markets, through, farmers : Gazette.com

Newspapers in town:
Homepage : Gazette.com
Colorado Springs Independent : Colorado Springs

Canon City: Here's a list of all the things to do there. It's a full day.
Welcome to Canon City Colorado and the Royal Gorge! (http://www.canoncitycolorado.com/ - broken link)

Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildreamer View Post
If someone doesn't accept you then they weren't worth knowing anyhow.
Thanks for listening.
Amen to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs