Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:44 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times

Advertisements

Yup- think of the mothers and fathers who left an abusive relationship and have sole parenting rights.

Sorry, I don't know of any nannys in our area, or up north. My thought would be to check with the college and see if any gals have a free enough college schedule to help you (checking with the department of education so you have a higher possibility of getting a great nanny who wants to spend time with kids). I know UCCS will post job openings.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,200 times
why would you need a spanish speaking nanny??

Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM

7 posts, read 49,125 times
What's wrong with having a spanish speaking nanny? Maybe she wants her kids to get a head start on being bilingual. It's definately helpful to speak spanish in CO and most of the southwest.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:13 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Hopefully "spanish-speaking" isn't a euphemism for "illegal alien that I can underpay and avoid paying social security taxes on."

Naw, nobody does that anymore. I'm certain it's just so junior can hear Green Eggs and Ham as "Huevos Verdes con Jamón."

Old 07-19-2008, 07:51 AM

268 posts, read 1,129,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac91 View Post
What's wrong with having a spanish speaking nanny? Maybe she wants her kids to get a head start on being bilingual. It's definately helpful to speak spanish in CO and most of the southwest.
"Don't worry immigrants, we'll bend to your desires. No need to learn English here."

Old 07-24-2008, 07:18 AM

39 posts, read 148,665 times
FYI: My 4 caucasian children are bilingual thanks to a fabulous spanish speaking nanny the last 5 years.......if they retain it, and had my job (RN ) and husbands job (commercial construction) they'd get an $180-260 a month EXTRA stipend just for being bilingual. That's not chump change!

PS - Our LEGAL nanny for the last 5 yrs became part of our family and we still call eachother from different states And she was nicely paid because she was a fabulous person!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Home Depot parking lot

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM

You must really LOVE your children -- to be willing to pay such good money to have someone raise them for you.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 PM

110 posts, read 294,196 times
treedonkey...please be nice, I happen to agree that kids need their parents, but the "Home Depot parking lot" bit is racist and not helpful to anyone. Neither is speculating how much this mother loves her children. So please, restrain yourself.

I am new to the forum, but I think its just the way the request was worded that's got everyone up in arms. Now, please guys, lay off and don't be mean, if the poster has to work, she has to work. No amount of griping and "Rabble, rabble, rabble!" from the soapbox will change that.

That said, I am all for nannies for parents who need their children watched when they're at work. Everyone has to feed their family somehow, especially you single parents out there. And it's great to have bilingual kids, it teaches them a culture they might not have had the chance to be familiar with and really opens doors for them! Childcare can be good, but there has to be limits, right?

The fact, OP, that you are miffed about the money they are charging, is what upsets me. Do you mean "Spanish-speaking" because you assume it is ok to pay them less? If so, they deserve your $25 dollars and more for having to put up with you. Besides, having to spend the time with your children, cleaning up after their messy selves, feeding their little faces, and making sure they don't maim each other and light the family pet on fire, gives them the right to expect that $18 an hour. And if you've hired them to teach your children Spanish, not only are they the nanny, they are an educator teaching your child another language. If you want quality childcare, you have to be willing to pay for it. Here in Iowa (don't yell, I'll be moving to COS in three days) we don't have nannies. We have babysitters, mostly in high school, and they're available only a few nights a week, and they get paid $10-$15 an hour. I'm sure Colorado is no different, as Des Moines is roughly the same size as COS. (Granted, COS is SOOOOOOO much better than Des Moines...)

The other option is daycare. Kids are naturally gross, and constantly sick, so it does make sense they pass their grossness back and forth to each other. The trick is to find the right daycare center. But even that you'll have to pay for. If you want someone to help raise your children and teach them foreign languages, you've got to be ready to pony up, because this isn't California. Nannies don't grow on palm trees out here. They also don't wash up from the sea like they do out East.

Just my 2 cent-thoughts, don't mean to offend. Good luck in your search for childcare, I hope you find the right person!

Last edited by lizmyer; 07-24-2008 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Because I can never say what I want correctly the first time....

Old 07-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Okay - I'll be nice, but I don't see why the Home Depot parking lot statement is racist. It's true. At least in CA, the Home Depot parking lot is the place to go for getting day laborers, all of whom seem to be Spanish speaking. Why is it racist to suggest that as a place to find a spanish speaking workers? As for the parental love comment, ok, I just could not restrain myself there - consider it redacted. (but, just FYI, it was aimed at the one bragging about how much she spends on a nanny, not at the one who is just trying to get by)

You might seriously consider parenting as an occupation though, since you could end up with more money by NOT working because of what you'll save on a nanny and taxes.

Last edited by treedonkey; 07-24-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs