Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 PM

179 posts, read 459,588 times

Advertisements

I am a 44 year old California girl who is looking for like minded liberals/progressives in Colorado Springs. My husband is entertaining an aerospace job there but we are both very concerned about how much we've read about the conservatism there. We are non-religious, registered independents who contribute regularly to the Obama campaign. We are creative, quiet, peaceful people who don't want to be asked to join churches or be ostracized for being of a liberal bent. We are hoping there is a part of town that might welcome people like us and we are equally hoping to learn of like minded people and where they gather in Colorado Springs.

We are laid back, well educated, animal oriented, environmentally conscious, artistic, creative, quiet, peaceful, people with strong opinions about the war, the economy, and the Bush administration. We are hoping that there is a lesser known but decidedly robust and thriving haven for folks like us in Colorado Springs?

Please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
You will do fine here.

Actually, most of the people I know are libertarians more than they are republicans. If you come across a right-wing conservative republican, you are hanging out with the wrong people.

I have many "liberal" friends from my area, while I am a libertarian, I don't care as long as you are a nice person.

Despite the reputation that C Springs has, it's not as bad as most think unless you make it a point in your life to point out the FOtF types around here. I will confess I think our mayor (and those in the past) cow down to the Dobsons around here, it's slowly coming back to what I call the Old West. What I mean by that is what you do is your business and what I do is none of yours.

Here's a dopey article I wrote last year about it and while it's not that great, it's how I feel as a long time resident of C Springs:

Colorado Springs: It's Not a Religious Commune - Associated Content

I hope the link works!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
We are non-religious,.... We are creative, quiet, peaceful people who don't want to be asked to join churches ...We are laid back, well educated, animal oriented, environmentally conscious, artistic, creative, quiet, peaceful, people ....
There are people and organizations such as the ones you seek. I became familiar with this one:

Freethinkers of Colorado Springs | "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." Richard Feynman

They have regular activities and activities for kids "Free Thoughts, Free Kids" which helps kids develop thinking skills think rather than mindless believing.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:22 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
I've lived in Colorado Springs for 33 years. The image of this city being a haven to right wing religious fanatics is way overdone. Although they do exist, they mostly keep to themselves.

The only problem I had was that when my kids were in high school, some of their religious classmates kept threatening them with eternal damnation for not joining their religious cult. I had to explain to my children that their classmates had been brain washed by their ignorant parents and that although they meant well, they were simply uninformed.

My experience is that the religious folks mostly just associate within their own social groups and they do not spend effort to try to convert the secular people.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 AM

30 posts, read 185,955 times
My impression after only living here 6 weeks is this is a great place to live! We did receive a bible thumping immediately after we moved in which really shocked us as we live a mile down a dirt road and then a long private driveway. We were quite irritated to say the least but they left quickly.
Other than this one instance which truly could have happened anywhere....the people around here seem really down to earth, laid back and very friendly. FYI: we are in northern Co.Springs near Monument.

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
I reflect the same sentiment given by COflower. I am libertarian and go by "live & let live" & "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" as a matter of personal/social discourse. I think you will do fine in CoS. I have been TDY (job related visiting while in the USAF) and plan on moving there in January when I finish my year over here at Camp Victory, Iraq (I'm a contractor with Raytheon). As long as I have a good Irish pub with good Irish music, I am happy. However, unlike you (coming from Cali), my wife & kids are all in the Mid-west (St. Louis area) and will be leaving a more conservative area to a more progressive one. Man, I am looking forward to the natural beauty & climate the area affords!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Thank you to all!

Thank you so much to COflower, Charles, Vision67, Millsy, and Bulldawg82 for your words of encouragement. You have given me a glimmer of hope; my husband and I will be in the springs looking in Old Colorado City tomorrow. Any other suggestions on where to buy and where not to buy are greatly appreciated.

I was encouraged to learn of the Libertarian contingent! During the early debates I was all about Ron Paul. Unfortunately, Ron Paul makes way too much sense to be elected in our country. So I love the Libertarians! I've thrown my support behind Obama because Dr. Paul is not an option, but I'd vote for Ron Paul any day. It would be a whole new world, would it not?

If anyone knows of any good salons in the Springs, that would be helpful too. But truly, thank you for your willing input and candor. We are going to actively seek a positive experience in the Springs.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM

12 posts, read 42,162 times
Check out the VEDA salon on the North side of town

Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Great visit!

After reading all of the words of encouragement and having a sales transaction with a married COS couple that was terrific (craigslist) my husband and I ventured down to the Springs today and had a wonderful day thanks in large part to the guidance from this forum as well as our new friend Dave the chef! We checked out some real estate in downtown COS which was dead on relative to what we were looking for and then ventured to Manitou Spings which was oh-so-beautiful and has a very cool vibe. Old Colorado City was also very plum so we walked away from it with big smiles and breathing mutual sighs of relief. We will know more about our fate late this week but feel prepared to say yes if the offer is right. I truly love the small town feel of downtown as well as OCC and Manitou Springs. I can see that we would "do fine here" as you all have echoed.

I'll be checking out the Veda salon, thanks Californiagirl123!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs