Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just transfered into Colorado Springs and I've been looking at apartments near the COS airport, preferably no more than 5-6 miles away.

Most of them seem pretty shabby (particularly the ones on Jet Wing Drive). Even Bellaire Ranch apartments which is fairly well rated, seems rather run down.

My coworkers suggested apartments north of town, near Austin Bluffs Pkwy, which I visited and saw a few good ones. But the commute would take twice as long, which I'm looking to avoid. I want to be able to roll out of bed at 845 and into work at the airport by 9.

However, in my travels I discovered Creekside by Palmer Park, right off of N. Powers. Supposedly this is a bad area...but now I'm not so sure. It has the best floor plans, enclosed garage parking, and seems well maintained. Rent is about 200/month more expensive than the others, but it includes washer/dryer.

Are there any other recommendations for higher-end apartment complexes near the COS airport?

*Also, as a sort of side topic, is anyone familiar with that trailer park just outside of the airport? I saw it advertised as $899/month rent-to-own your own trailer. I would assume the crime rate is very high in such a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Roll out of bed bt 8:45 and to work by 9? Are you a super hero or what?

I'm not trying to be a 88itch but, dang!!! I can't even do that "without" makeup!!
Do you dress and sleep in the same clothes...ALWAYS???
Sorry, I am not trying to be mean but, I think you are going to have to sleep and live on the the runway.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,053 times
Well, perhaps 15 minutes is a bit of an stretch. The main idea is to have the least of amount of commute time possible to the COS airport, while still maintaining a relatively high standard of living. Currently the Creekside apartments on N. Powers seems to fit those requirements.

Just wondering if there were any more apartments or areas that I should look into which would have a similar commute time?

We do have a small office inside the airport where I could sleep if I had to wait for flights to come in, but I hope that doesn't happen very often.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
tmptech,

I thought that was my most funniest post EVER!!
I'M still laughing!!

Seriously though, IF you had to stay there, good for you!
I would look into finding a place in Fountain. It is affordable and, one can find Great deals off of Powers!! There are new neighborhoods and, older ones as well within your "milage". It IS the NEW neighborhood!!
Check it out!!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:50 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I have to giggle at that Sheridan...you are absolutley right.

Anyhow, from my own experience, to live near the airport is also putting your life at stake. Idealy the OP should look for a place that is NOT near the airport and choose a small commute in order to save one's life.

Seriously, the drive on Powers from where I live is about 20 minutes. Seriously. I would rather have to buy a bit more fuel than live near the place. Just Ew.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I wouldn't go into the trailer park. I know some of my students who are affiliated with Bloods live in that park in addition to newer homes in that area. However, I do recommend the townhomes by Safeway, by Pulte. You communte to the airport employee parking lot should be 10-15 minutes. Last I knew, there were some for rent about $800-900 with a garage. Additionally, according to my students there isn't any gang bangers or drug dealers there. (I am a sped teacher at an alternative charter high school- I have the students we don't want in regular ed schools.)
How to get there- take Powers south, past the reservoir, go through the light at Fontaine and look for the Sonic/Safeway. (The quick way...) Turn in at the Sonic and take that shopping road towards the Safeway but go left at the store and you will see how the road wraps around the store and see the townhomes. Good luck!!
You will see many walking their dogs, runners, couples/families, etc...in the neighborhood. I like the neighborhood, I live in the same vicinity. You have Lowes, Safeway, Carls Jr., Sonic, and a few other things right there. Down on 85/87 you have a lot more choices. The newer part of Fountain is nice, stay away from the older parts and especially on the west side of 85/87. Dawg the Bounty hunter has made a couple rounds with Bobby Brown on that side of 85/87.
Hope this helps.
Lynette

Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,549 times
My brother and his family just moved to COS from a Baltimore suburb.

They decided to rent a house before buying--scope out the area, etc...

They're new community is just across from SkySox stadium--and since they moved in to the house over the 4th, I've left from their place to COS twice--the trip is less than 20 minutes.

I realize you were looking for a rental apartment or condo; but the community they're in off of Barnes is very quiet, and reasonably priced. They have a 4 bedroom house with a 2 car garage and only pay $1200 a month--the 3 bedrooms in the community are $800 to $1000.

My 5-year old nephew loves it because all the aircraft fly right over the neighborhood--he's getting very good at planespotting. ;-)

Check out the neighborhood here: [URL="http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Colorado+Springs&state=CO&address=%5B490 0-4966%5D+Ardley+Dr&zipcode=80922&country=US&latitud e=38.9015&longitude=-104.71265&geocode=STREET"]http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Colorado+Springs&state=CO&address=%5B490 0-4966%5D+Ardley+Dr&zipcode=80922&country=US&latitud e=38.9015&longitude=-104.71265&geocode=STREET[/URL]

If you can't get the URL to work; just look at Ardley DR in zip 80922...

Good luck with your search...

Michael.

Last edited by mdburd; 07-30-2008 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs